Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VI | Marner Reportedly Turns Down 8 Year Term

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
If Marner does sign an offer sheet, I could see things getting really crazy. If I'm Dubas I probably say OK this relationship is obviously toast, so let's start planning for life after Marner. And that probably means not matching and instead, targeting one of the other clue chip RFA's out there and if that doesn't work, target the next one and by that time, the GM's across the NHL will probably have dropped the gloves.

Could be a "fun" summer. :laugh::laugh:

Seriously though, this is very sad stuff. I've known for a long time that it's a business but when it becomes something like 99% business instead of 80% business or whatever, I can see myself being less and less interested. I've always been a Leaf fan as long as I can remember but if this nonsense goes on, I can see a time coming when I care a lot less about this team then I do now. :(

The money involved with this core is one of the main reasons why this team is highly unlikeable. The early 00s Leafs teams also had full of overpaid players but those years were pre-cap obviously.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
here is something to think about when making an offer sheet. If Marner signs and the Leafs accept the offer sheet the team that gets Marner now has 2 maybe 3 problems to worry about.

1. if they have their own RFA's coming up or UFA needing to sign how is their internal cap space after signing marner to at least 11 mil
2. You lose out on 4 1st who are valuable filler for a cap team those ELC are valuable when close to the cap as the Leafs can attest to.
3. At the TDL for the next 4 years you have no 1st picks to enhance your team for a playoff push or if a serious cup contender an upgrade. You might have to deal more prospects or deal a roster player to upgrade a weak spot or cover up an injury to a key player.

So really to me that is why an offer sheet hasn't happened since they put these price tags into place. It is not simply the compensation but what it does to your own success down the road.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
There is no waiting around till Dec 1 this time. He has to sign quick here or we move on. The team is more important than 1 guy. If they wait around for him, they won't get other things accomplished which means a total lost season.

Reactions: Dragao6

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
There is no waiting around till Dec 1 this time. He has to sign quick here or we move on. The team is more important than 1 guy. If they wait around for him, they won't get other things accomplished which means a total lost season.
No doubt. You got Johnsson and Kapanen waiting around wondering when the f*** things are going to get moving. Marner's negotiations not only stall himself, but they stall those 2 guys as well.

Would not doubt if these things end up manifesting into some problems in the locker room.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
If we lose Kappy because Marner held out and demanded unreasonable money - I will lose a lot of respect for him (unless he scores 100+++ points, then it'll be "Kappy who?").

But the fact we may be losing Kappy and Kadri over this almost pushes me towards trading the kid. I'll take Kadri+Kappy+$6-7M (cap space)+4x1st rounders over Marner any day of the week.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Im VERY happy i didnt spend money on a marner jersey like I wanted.
I REALLY hope lou gets him in NY....have fun extending your superstar C Barzal after and thanks for 4 lottery picks.
And even if he resigns please stop showing those stupid little marner videos saying he loves his Leafs. Hope we add perry and if he can skate he will take care of 16 when hes in town.

Marner is great but i still have my doubts hes a consistant 90+ pt guy

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Glad we are finding out that he is a whiny, greedy baby now so we can move him vs committing 8 years to him and finding it out later.

Mitch has no leverage, no team is willing to sign him to 10.5M+ AND give up 4 1st round picks. So his only option is lower his asking price to market value, whether it be with us or another team.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I REALLY hope lou gets him in NY....have fun extending your superstar C Barzal after and thanks for 4 lottery picks.
And even if he resigns please stop showing those stupid little marner videos saying he loves his Leafs. Hope we add perry and if he can skate he will take care of 16 when hes in town.

You never buy a players' jersey until after they have accomplished something.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
If Marner meets with other clubs deal him. Enough of this ****. You can hold out and try to work out a deal with the club, but taking interviews with other teams like you're a UFA? Get a pile of assets in a deal and cut your losses. Meeting with other teams is disrespectful and shows he only cares for the money

It's not ideal, but I don't think meeting with other clubs is that big of a deal. Signing an offer sheet and forcing a decision on the Leafs over a seven day window would be a much bigger one. Hopefully that's not where this leads.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Glad we are finding out that he is a whiny, greedy baby now so we can move him vs committing 8 years to him and finding it out later.

Mitch has no leverage, no team is willing to sign him to 10.5M+ AND give up 4 1st round picks. So his only option is lower his asking price to market value, whether it be with us or another team.

How do you know this?

Couldn't they offer-sheet him to just under the 4 1st round pick compensation limit?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I just hope he's being difficult but has no desire to leave. Most people were either a Matthews or Marner guy as their favourite Leaf and it's clear now that Matthews is our guy. Ridiculous of Marner to see it go so far with Nylander and still be difficult through his own process.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
How do you know this?

Couldn't they offer-sheet him to just under the 4 1st round pick compensation limit?
And if we're offering him $10.5M and another team offers him $10M, why would he sign it with them? He wants the money and wants to see what other teams will offer him. f*** him.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands

If Lou offer sheets Marner and he signs and the Leafs don't match, it will become a great rivalry. I really hope we beat them in the playoffs 6 years in a row in game 7 with the Tavares game winning goal.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
And if we're offering him $10.5M and another team offers him $10M, why would he sign it with them? He wants the money and wants to see what other teams will offer him. **** him.

I think it's a foregone conclusion he is getting at least $10.5M from someone.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Tampa is praying they sign Point before anyone else signs.
They could easily sign him now 12M for 8 years and he will sign today. 8M for 5 years and he says keeps saying thanks but no thanks. If you think Leafs have a big gap it ain't near as bad as the Tampa GULF. Who knows maybe this is the year we get both guys OS. I doubt it but those 2 guys will lead the pack.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I don't look at Nylander the same. Marner is quickly entering that territory as painful as it may be. How much is enough ? This ego driven. By Mitch, his agent and his Dad.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Dubas should bring him a #16 home sweater with the C on the right shoulder, and just say "c'mon Mitch you know you want it, lets' do it!"

problem, as they say, solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad