Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VI | Marner Reportedly Turns Down 8 Year Term

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Unfortunately until December 1st, then they cave again and give him everything he originally asked for including medium term

They can't wait till then because they have to put a team together. If you wait that long with Mitch, you may kiss a playoff spot good bye.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If Marner is intent on holding court publicly with other teams, I think we’re headed for a divorce.

I really don’t like that.

Like you can ask for crazy numbers and term and shit, and at the end of the day, it’s a business for both sides.

If you literally go to other cities, fishing for an offer sheet......

That’s some whack shit

Cotton

May 13, 2013
The Leafs were going to be a top heavy team the minute they drafted Matthew's.

How can a GM force a RFA to sign a contract? Hes already suggested hed be willing to move a guy who wont sign a deal. That's about as forceful as you can be

He puts a horses head in Paul Marner's bed?

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
If Marner is intent on holding court publicly with other teams, I think we’re headed for a divorce.

There have already been rumours that NYI may be getting ready to offer sheet Marner. Can't believe how short-sighted Marner is. Regardless of how this plays out, he's already damaged his reputation.

Reactions: Rude Dog

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008
How much money does Marner lose the moment he isnt a leaf? I'm no marketer but once he is on a team that doesnt see the ratings the leafs get he will say bye bye to a bunch of endorsements.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They can wait till then because they have to put a team together. If you wait that long with Mitch, you may kiss a playoff spot good bye.

When is Marleau's last bonus payment? In December sometime.

Manipulate some LTIR to coincide with Marleau's bonus payment and the marner signing.

Maybe doubleshift marner, play him on the RD every couple of shifts.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I really don’t like that.

Like you can ask for crazy numbers and term and ****, and at the end of the day, it’s a business for both sides.

If you literally go to other cities, fishing for an offer sheet......

That’s some whack ****

Yeah, like if you want to be here, do it in house and hammer out a fair deal however the process works. To take it on the road you might as well stay on the road. How do you come back to a dismantled team and what kind of response are you going to have for the public when the team is struggling and everyone asks you about your contract.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
There have already been rumours that NYI may be getting ready to offer sheet Marner. Can't believe how short-sighted Marner is. Regardless of how this play's out, he's already damaged his reputation.
If it ends up Marner vs JT + 4 1st rounders I will say we ended up a better team.

Cant believe it could come to this, imagine how Nylander feels. Got so much hate over holding out for like 500K extra and Mitch is asking for 12+ million and shopping himself to other teams... lol

Heisen

Mar 27, 2019
How much money does Marner lose the moment he isnt a leaf? I'm no marketer but once he is on a team that doesnt see the ratings the leafs get he will say bye bye to a bunch of endorsements.

Probably gets paid less in endorsements than he would save in taxes playing for 20 other teams in the league.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
There have already been rumours that NYI may be getting ready to offer sheet Marner. Can't believe how short-sighted Marner is. Regardless of how this play's out, he's already damaged his reputation.

That’s within the Islanders purview and I hope the Leafs respond in kind with a Barzal retaliation. That said, Marner should understand that if he signs with the Islanders he should be prepared to go there and not expect the Leafs to go matching at any cost.

Reactions: Hotel Mario

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Dreger has spent his career milking the leafs for attention. What about all the other big rfa’s that are available?

Brayden Point is a Center, fantastic defensively, has similar point totals as marner and more goals (in 3 less games).

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Depends if teams are actually willing to give him 12 million. If they are he would make money by leaving especially if it is to a tax free state.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
score just updated and told me Marner has no interest in a max term deal.
great looking to strap us down hard now and again short term just like Matthews. oh well get it done Dubas. hopefully atleast 6-7 years.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Not sure how you walk back from a guy hobnobbing with other franchises to squeeze every dollar on one hand and have six guys shipped out and the team dismantled on the other and how you come back to happy faces during training camp.

Imo signing an offersheet 100% means hes gone even if the Leafs match, I can see them flipping him next offseason for a mountain of assets if the relationship is this sour.

Obviously fingers crossed ot doesnt come to this

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
That’s within the Islanders purview and I hope the Leafs respond in kind with a Barzal retaliation. That said, Marner should understand that if he signs with the Islanders he should be prepared to go there.

Haha if Lou offer sheets marner... than he goes up in my books, that would be ruthless. Especially after he signed marleau and Zaitsev.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Dreger has spent his career milking the leafs for attention. What about all the other big rfa’s that are available?

Brayden Point is a Center, fantastic defensively, has similar point totals as marner and more goals (in 3 less games).

If Marner feels insulted by $10.5 million per season I’m fairly confident that Rantanen, Aho, Point, Laine, Tkachuk, Barzal next year and Pettersson the year after won’t.

Reactions: Menzinger

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Haha if Lou offer sheets marner... than he goes up in my books, that would be ruthless. Especially after he signed marleau and Zaitsev.

Can you imagine 4 Islanders first rounders in your back pocket and the chance to steal Barzal next summer? Or Dobson, Bellows etc. when they have a cap crunch?

Reactions: IPS and Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Wonder if Marner would agree to a deal like 3X8.

Absurdly high for a bridge, but gives the team and player a couple years to figure out if they can smooth things over on a long term deal. And also keeps Marner as an rfa so the Leafs could trade him still for assets if a third contract cant be worked out

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

And Leafs nation continues to give him so much attention. I've been advocating for years to completely ignore these tools.

Reactions: Matthews34

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Imo signing an offersheet 100% means hes gone even if the Leafs match, I can see them flipping him next offseason for a mountain of assets if the relationship is this sour.

Obviously fingers crossed ot doesnt come to this

I find it amusing that the hometown prodigal kid finally came along and if reports are true is the most ruthless, ego driven entrepreneurial RFA we have basically ever seen. Is he seriously sour over Lou’s lack of bonuses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad