Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXXXVI: 86 Proof

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I still wouldn’t do it. It’ll be their Hayes contract.

I’d rather have flexibility for other possible additions than settle for a signing like this.
Some GM's don't like to keep kicking the can down road hoping for a day that may never come. Where the Flames are currently at nothing wrong with this move.

Reactions: ellja3

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Some GMs are also objectively awful and still can put good teams together. It’s not like you need to be a genius. Don Waddell has been an abject failure his entire career, but he gets to Carolina where I guess he has smart people around him for the first time ever who tell him ‘do this, not that’ and for the most part does.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Weren’t you talking him up this season before you realized the Flyers likely wouldn’t be signing him? :laugh:
I was hoping his game would advance enough to be a candidate for 3RHD.
Like a lot of Hextall picks, the skating never improved. But it did for Lindblom
Which is OK for a 4th rd gamble, Strome, etc.
Same way gambling on skating with a skilled undersized forward made sense in the 6th rd. with McClennon.

But not Ginning in the 2nd rd.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Weren’t you talking him up this season before you realized the Flyers likely wouldn’t be signing him? :laugh:

“Fletcher didn’t sign him so he must not be good.”

Maybe he’s not (not that it has stopped Fletcher before). But I can guarantee you one thing: no other person on this forum has 1/3 of his 300 posts about St. Ivany. He was still pencilling him into future lineups as recently as Jan-Feb. Then when the writing on the wall happened, well, you know the drill. Spare me the sudden skating concerns for someone who was halfway done his senior year.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Maybe he’s not (not that it has stopped Fletcher before). But I can guarantee you one thing: no other person on this forum has 1/3 of his 300 posts about St. Ivany. He was still pencilling him into future lineups as recently as Jan-Feb. Then when the writing on the wall happened, well, you know the drill. Spare me the sudden skating concerns for someone who was halfway done his senior year.

He probably doesn’t amount to more than a minor league guy that’s just the odds of these things. But the Flyers literally signed a worse prospect in Adam Ginning just this cycle & given their drafting these past two years there’s likely more worse prospects on that will be getting signed in the future too.

There’s also value in the fact that if St. Ivany sucks I have more confidence in them correctly identifying that. I don’t have faith with the Ginning’s of the world who would likely get promoted regardless of merit.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

The magic word is "pencilling." He was a possibility coming off an improved senior season.

But he must not of impressed for them to give his contract slot to a LHD in Ginning who brings a similar, limited skill set.

Given their depth on defense, I doubt either was going to make the team in the future other than a 7th D-man (the improvement in Attard, Zamula and Andrae pushed them down the queue.).

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

oof

image_(3).jpg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The magic word is "pencilling." He was a possibility coming off an improved senior season.

But he must not of impressed for them to give his contract slot to a LHD in Ginning who brings a similar, limited skill set.

Given their depth on defense, I doubt either was going to make the team in the future other than a 7th D-man (the improvement in Attard, Zamula and Andrae pushed them down the queue.).

If Fletcher had signed him you'd still be singing his praises up and down

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Seeing how Pens haven't had many mid rd picks lately makes sense.

What an odd choice Hextall was to be Burkes errand boy. Thought was good chance he was let go this summer.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Seeing how Pens haven't had many mid rd picks lately makes sense.

What an odd choice Hextall was to be Burkes errand boy. Thought was good chance he was let go this summer.
Burke has talked endlessly that Hextall makes the decisions and Burke is there for input when Hextall wants it. Burke has said that he does alot of the PR stuff so Hextall can focus on the team more.

Up here, Burke gets interviewed more than usual due to his previous ties to Sportsnet.

Reactions: BernieParent

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Burke has talked endlessly that Hextall makes the decisions and Burke is there for input when Hextall wants it. Burke has said that he does alot of the PR stuff so Hextall can focus on the team more.

Up here, Burke gets interviewed more than usual due to his previous ties to Sportsnet.
So did Hextall change his ways in terms of now consulting with people? Burke runs that show for the most part imo.

Seeing those GM rankings Chuck last Hextall 5 from last. Good reading material.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
So did Hextall change his ways in terms of now consulting with people? Burke runs that show for the most part imo.

Seeing those GM rankings Chuck last Hextall 5 from last. Good reading material.
As an example:

Burke saves some praise for Hextall, too. On the surface, the two are polar opposites. Burke is a larger-than-life personality who is never short on opinions. Hextall largely keeps to himself and practices varying degrees of prudence.

Together, they seem to work.

“Working with him has been great,” Burke said. “It’s been terrific. He’s so smart. So measured. So calculated. So thoughtful. He’s the kind of guy who thinks before he speaks. He’s got a sense of humor, too. Just a great guy to work with. And the guy also works like a dog. I’m very impressed with him.”

The biggest move the Penguins made last summer was the one they didn’t make. They decided to hold onto Tristan Jarry despite a disastrous postseason effort against the Islanders.

So far, the move has been a godsend for the Penguins.

“That was Ron,” Burke said. “He was the ring leader on that one. Two issues. One was bringing in Andy (Chiodo). I think he’s a great goalie coach and he believed in Tristan from the beginning. And then there was Ron, and he was the real ring leader, I’m telling you. He knows a little about the position, of course. He believed in Tristan. He always did. Ron told him that he wasn’t the first young goalie to struggle in the playoffs. He told him, ‘You’re the guy.’ Tristan has done the rest, and he deserves a lot of the credit. But Ron deserves a lot, too.”

And another:

“We’re capped out,” Burke said.

Hextall would have to get creative to make a deal.

“We’d have to be sending some cash out to get some cash in,” he said. “I just don’t know if I see us doing much. But it’s up to Hexy. It could all change.”

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

BlackandOrange

Jul 12, 2018
Breadalbane, PE
In case people wanted to know what teams traditionally have scored a lot against the Penguins. Stats taken from ever, and teams with less than 20 games have been filtered out. Sorry Kraken and Golden Knights. View attachment 578704

Also the Flyers only have one shootout win against the Penguins!?!

Last edited:

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
In case people wanted to know what teams traditionally have scored a lot against the Penguins. Stats taken from ever, and teams with less than 20 games have been filtered out. Sorry Kraken and Golden Knights. View attachment 578704

Also the Flyers only have one regular season shutout against the Penguins!?!
Could be wrong, but I think that means shootout, which is just as bad

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Fletcher had signed him you'd still be singing his praises up and down
If Fletcher had signed him, given he didn't draft him, that would have impressed more more than Hextall signing his own draft pick.

Same with Ginning, Fletcher had no reason to sign him unless his scouts said there was some upside there (probably off his performance in the SHL playoffs).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Gambling on skating to improve. If there was something ever more Flyers than that. Educate me.

Junkyard scouting department.
Who do you think is available after pick 100 or so?
Guys with skating issues (Strome), guys with size issue (Martel), guys with skills issues (Bunnaman).
If a player can skate, has good size and above average skill, he's called a "first round pick."

There are players who fall through the cracks, but not many.
If speed made you a NHL player, WIllman would be starting for us this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad