Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXXXVI: 86 Proof

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Off the top of my head, I like:

Zamula
Fedotov
Foerster
Brink
York (if he counts)

All more than Cutter. Cases could probably be made for Laczynki and Allison being better prospects too.
No it couldn't. And Brink isn't close to Gauthier as a prospect.

Top twenty would be (assuming York, Allison have graduated):
Foerster
Gauthier
Fedotov (does he qualify at 26?)
Attard
N Cates
Brink
Andrae
Zamula
Sandstrom
Laczynski
Wisdom
Desnoyers
Lycksell
Kaplan
Tuomaala
JOB
Bump
Ersson
Kolosov
Sampson

Hodgson I left out b/c of age, same with Marody and Brooks.
McLaughlin could shoot up this season, and Avon bears watching.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
No it couldn't. And Brink isn't close to Gauthier as a prospect.

Top twenty would be (assuming York, Allison have graduated):
Foerster
Gauthier
Fedotov (does he qualify at 26?)
Attard
N Cates
Brink
Andrae
Zamula
Sandstrom
Laczynski
Wisdom
Desnoyers
Lycksell
Kaplan
Tuomaala
JOB
Bump
Ersson
Kolosov
Sampson

Hodgson I left out b/c of age, same with Marody and Brooks.
McLaughlin could shoot up this season, and Avon bears watching.
Flying under the radar. This was a nice free pickup. Very curious to see his progress and where he projects. He has talent.

McLaughlin needs to hit the gym. He is allergic to working out off the ice.

Both Hextall and Fletcher have done a better job finding talent outside the first round than Sakic.
Of all the flaws of the Flyer management since 2014, drafting outside the 1st rd isn't one of them.
It's just that the odds of hitting on any of these guys is slim.

Which is why I don't mind trading picks outside the 1st rd, it's what they trade for that has been the problem.
Who have they drafted that are full time NHL players after the 1st round? Hart and Oskar? Arguably NAK. Who else am I missing. Doesn't seem good to me.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Flying under the radar. This was a nice free pickup. Very curious to see his progress and where he projects. He has talent.

Who have they drafted that are full time NHL players after the 1st round? Hart and Oskar? Arguably NAK. Who else am I missing. Doesn't seem good to me.
Hextall's 2nd rd. picks over his 5 drafts:

NAK -- fringe NHLer
Laberge -- ECHLer
Hart -- inconsistent NHL goalie to date
Allison -- can't stay healthy. 15 NHL games to date, turns 25 in Oct.
Ratcliffe -- traded a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to move up 9 spots to draft him; can't even produce in the AHL.
Ginning -- been hated on ad nauseum. if he makes the NHL, will be as a 6/7 and PKer.

Hopefully Brink, Andrae, and Tuomaala change their luck.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY

NAK -- fringe NHLer
Laberge -- ECHLer
Ratcliffe -- traded a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to move up 9 spots to draft him; can't even produce in the AHL.
Ginning -- been hated on ad nauseum. if he makes the NHL, will be as a 6/7 and PKer.

NAK being a valuable piece of the bottom 6 for a cup winning team isn't a fringe NHLer.
Laberge got completely and utterly derailed by injuries, even if the pick was a bit suspect at the time.
Allison, while having a hard time staying healthy, showed he should be an NHL regular in those 15 games.
Ratcliffe... I don't know how to fully gauge him. He did show a bit of promise in the NHL this past year, but was a short stint.
Ginning... why the f*** did we give him a contract at all? Dude is not fit for the NHL. Hell, he wasn't fit for the SHL.

Reactions: Curufinwe

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

NAK -- fringe NHLer
Laberge -- ECHLer

Yeah bunch of nothings and question marks.

The Ginning hate is funny to be honest. Wonder how many have seen him play on a consistent basis. Many already have it "out" for him no matter what; I will take a wait and see approach though no expectations. He turns into a solid cheap bottom pair guy would be just fine.

Did they really trade 3 draft picks for Ratcliff as don't recall off top of my head.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Yeah bunch of nothings and question marks.

The Ginning hate is funny to be honest. Wonder how many have seen him play on a consistent basis. Many already have it "out" for him no matter what; I will take a wait and see approach though no expectations. He turns into a solid cheap bottom pair guy would be just fine.

Did they really trade 3 draft picks for Ratcliff as don't recall off top of my head.
I actually liked Ginning in the draft.

He looked solid to me the few times I saw him in international play, had an extensive international history and captained some of those Sweden teams.

I thought he was an NHL lock as a bottom pairing defenseman and PKer, with perhaps some Hjalmarsson upside.

This board has hated him from day 1, though. I'm no longer defending the pick, but I still think he'll be an NHL depth defenseman somewhere.

And, yes, they traded a 2nd rd. pick (44) a 3rd rd pick and a 4th rd pick to move up 9 spots to take Ratcliffe at 35.

Jason Robertson went 4 picks later at 39.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Same people who didn't want the Flyers to sign Hayes 3 years ago because he'd "block" Morgan Frost at 2C are now saying the Flyers should have signed Stastny. Who would block Frost at 3C or Cates at 3L.

Just like the people who complained at the Flyers not going with a full tank and rebuild complained about not trading a 1st in order to sign a 29 year-old Gaudreau to $63M.

It's about complaining more than it is logical consistency.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Same people who didn't want the Flyers to sign Hayes 3 years ago because he'd "block" Morgan Frost at 2C are now saying the Flyers should have signed Stastny. Who would block Frost at 3C or Cates at 3L.

Just like the people who complained at the Flyers not going with a full tank and rebuild complained about not trading a 1st in order to sign a 29 year-old Gaudreau to $63M.

It's about complaining more than it is logical consistency.
Oh look, you’re doing that thing again where you totally disregard what people are actually saying.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
2C and 3C being the same thing is at the core of my approach to modern hockey. I don’t care if a guy gets 2 extra 5v5 minutes.

I do care if he plays with quality linemates or not. I do care if room is made on the NHL roster for vet useless plugs at the expense of someone you hope can be meaningful. You can even play those guys on the 4th line if you’re giving them quality linemates. Just give them a chance at success. That’s it.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Well, you continued to spout off your stuff about signing Gaudreau despite having it explained to you countless times why your stance is fabricated...
Similarly, if anyone complaining about not trading a first for Gaudreau hasn't also complained about the Flyers not tanking and fully rebuilding, and/or hasn't also complained about Fletcher trading draft picks, then I'm not referring to them.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Well the only other post I’m seeing that could be referred to is me.

The Flyers should not have signed Stastny because I want them to rebuild.

If they were in a better spot to contend, signing him to that deal would have been a home run. Likewise if we’re going with their approach, yes they should have signed him and could have offered him slightly more cash. But that would have required them allowing a bargain to come to them instead of spending everything immediately.

The whole point is that Stastny himself isn’t the focus. He just happens to be the guy the market undervalued. I don’t have the information required to tell you who that guy is going to be the week before FA opens.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Stastny is deece, but for a guy who wasn’t the most fleet of foot… it’s fallen off more.

He still had decent vision/puck protection.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Every free agency there are useful players who fall through the cracks that can be had for pennies on the dollar, especially in the flat cap era.

Every year our pennies burn a hole in our pocket and we spend them on the first day of free agency on Thompsons and Deslauriers.

That's bad process.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Hart, Allison, NAK 2nd rd.
Lindblom, Cates is a good bet, Lycksell has a shot, Fedotov (once he escapes the Naval Gulag). Sandstrom.
Longer odds, Ersson, Ratcliffe.

Andrae, Brink 2nd rd
Attard, Wisdom, Desnoyers.
Too early to project from recent drafts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad