Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
But there’s still a path to the Eastern final, or at least to be competitive in the 2nd round. I think that’s all anyone is really asking.
Being happy with making the second round is as inane as being happy to qualify for the playoffs imo, the bar should be far higher imo………

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
How do you expect to see the burden on the TV?

Florida was coming off a Presidents' Trophy win, and in that same offseason, they traded their top-scoring forward—who had 27 more points than the next Panther—and their second-highest scoring defenseman. Both werent even 30 yet.

What we’ve learned about the Leafs under Shanahan, Lou, and Dubas has been a surprise to many of us. As fans, we assumed everything was sunshine and roses, but the reality was far from it. We truly have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. That’s why I trust CJ—he works for the owner of the Leafs. He’s in and out of the arena, and he has the credibility to back it up.

Why would a Florida Panthers player feel any sense of responsibility and pressure for corporate success of their franchise when they were never even a factor until 2022ish? What would the consequences be for failing?

“Aw damn, if we don’t win a round or two here the whole world is going to think of our team as a laughing stock small market team..”

Whatever drove them to have success wasn’t an emotional burden. It was a drive on the ice to win, they played free and hard and that’s the right mentality to have.

Reactions: rumman

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Being happy with making the second round is as inane as being happy to qualify for the playoffs imo, the bar should be far higher imo………
You've followed them for years, why do you think it’s higher this season? Do you think Berube will make that big of a difference?

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I can’t see that. That’s not realistic or even expected. It would take miracle goaltending or someone like Cowan to go on fire. We’ve seen it before.

There’s also a big elephant in the room …..May 9th and May 25th Sweden and Denmark host the World Hockey Championships and the playoff rounds are in Stockholm.

I think having a guy who has won will make a BIG difference to this team, and Berube won with a hell of a lot less top end talent than the Leafs have.

I always hated Keefe ever sense he blew a 3-1 series lead to Montreal I couldn't stand him.

I have said for years that before any core changes got made I wanted to see this group with a real coach because I think Keefe held them back.

Now we will see if I was right all these years

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You've followed them for years, why do you think it’s higher this season? Do you think Berube will make that big of a difference?
My hopes aren’t higher this year, I think the team will breeze through the regular season and fail again come the playoffs. Berube will not be the difference as far as playoff failure is concerned, after experiencing how this team quits in the playoffs he’s going to wish he was elsewhere just like O’Ryan………

Reactions: LFKevin21

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think having a guy who has won will make a BIG difference to this team, and Berube won with a hell of a lot less top end talent than the Leafs have.

I always hated Keefe ever sense he blew a 3-1 series lead to Montreal I couldn't stand him.

I have said for years that before any core changes got made I wanted to see this group with a real coach because I think Keefe held them back.

Now we will see if I was right all these years
He won with speed, big D, and tough relentless forwards. He has none of that now.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
My hopes aren’t higher this year, I think the team will breeze through the regular season and fail again come the playoffs. Berube will not be the difference as far as playoff failure is concerned, after experiencing how this team quits in the playoffs he’s going to wish he was elsewhere just like O’Ryan………
Why be upset? If they’re only built to make the playoffs and perhaps win a round why not just accept that and hope they overachieve.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
No reason to pad Mitch stats any longer at the cost of ice time for young players.

Make an argument for playing Mitch with Auston instead of Knies, while we wait for Mitch to wave. i'll wait
  1. There are 3 players on a line. Knies and Matthews are only 2
  2. It may lead to winning more games

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Why would a Florida Panthers player feel any sense of responsibility and pressure for corporate success of their franchise when they were never even a factor until 2022ish? What would the consequences be for failing?

“Aw damn, if we don’t win a round or two here the whole world is going to think of our team as a laughing stock small market team..”

Whatever drove them to have success wasn’t an emotional burden. It was a drive on the ice to win, they played free and hard and that’s the right mentality to have.
I have no idea...why would a player feel that way? I'm asking the same question, because unless I missed something, you’re the one who brought up the players. This seems completely off-topic from what I was discussing. The convo I was in was entirely to do with ownership and management. Nothing to do with players.

Last edited:

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
The goal should be winning the cup. I think most leaf fans would accept/ be happy with less assuming the effort was 100% sometimes you can do everything right and still lose. The problem with the leafs is when they lose it seems to always be from lack of effort/heart (optically speaking. Not necessarily in reality).

Reactions: rumman

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
1 that's just off, from the top of my head Boston got stronger too so the whole premise is weak . Leafs also made 0 meaningful upgrades.

Trouble reading? I think that I was clear in my explanation, it warranted no miss interpretation from you.

You keep twisting my words just so you can get offended on behalf of player that's leaving after this season.

Marner was getting exclusively O starts this last season while Auston scored 69 goals, yet you think we should play him exclusively in O zone with Auston once again and it will somehow results in Mitch finally reaching 100 points? Bizzare.

You keep pretending Mitch is entitled to play 25min a game of mostly O-zone starts with Matthews. I don't think it's in the best interest of Leafs.

Instead of telling me what I suggested you can try replying to what I actually posted :D.

No reason to pad Mitch stats any longer at the cost of ice time for young players.

Make an argument for playing Mitch with Auston instead of Knies, while we wait for Mitch to wave. i'll wait

Please can you tell me what makes you think Mitch will be better this season with more pressure on him than ever (entering UFA).

Mitch is not waiving and likely doesn’t appear like he’s even going to be asked. Let’s move on

Also Marner had 85 points in 69 games last year which is literally a 101 point pace if not for injuries.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I have no idea...why would a player feel that way? I'm asking the same question, because unless I missed something, you’re the one who brought up the players. This seems completely off-topic from what I was discussing. The convo I was in was entirely to do with ownership and management. Nothing to do with players.

I’m just responding to the CJ hypothesis that small market southern teams like Florida face some kind of extra heavy pressure to succeed which propels them forward. I don’t think it’s true because a team like the Panthers have existed as backwaters and they get their revenue sharing pie and have been happily irrelevant for decades… that’s at an ownership level. Down at a player level, I don’t think they care about the big picture like that.

Which brings me to the real crux of the problem. Which is this “pressure” to succeed nonsense is largely a product of a market like Toronto, where success is both inevitable and also such a heavy burden that players struggle under the weight of it. The championship teams we’ve seen win because they are playing free, competing hard and are driven to success. Not because of some external pressure point.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I’m just responding to the CJ hypothesis that small market southern teams like Florida face some kind of extra heavy pressure to succeed which propels them forward. I don’t think it’s true because a team like the Panthers have existed as backwaters and they get their revenue sharing pie and have been happily irrelevant for decades… that’s at an ownership level. Down at a player level, I don’t think they care about the big picture like that.

Which brings me to the real crux of the problem. Which is this “pressure” to succeed nonsense is largely a product of a market like Toronto, where success is both inevitable and also such a heavy burden that players struggle under the weight of it. The championship teams we’ve seen win because they are playing free, competing hard and are driven to success. Not because of some external pressure point.
I dont think as black and white as you're saying. Why did Phoenix pack up and move to a university then? Why didnt they just enjoy being irrelevent?

The Leafs market being too high pressure... that part is difficult to assess too. Are the Leafs failing because of pressure or is it because one of these factors?:

- a young inexperienced coach
- core dont want to pay the price
- bad goaltending

What are people seeing on the ice that looks like failures as a result of pressure?

Ive watched the games back...its coaching, subpar goaltending, and expensive players not wanting to play playoff hockey. Its actually the opposite of pressure... no pressure from management. Which also supports CJs theory.

Now compare that to a Team such as Dallas, whose very frustrated CEO said this a few years ago:

Dallas Stars management and ownership are not being shy about venting their frustration over the play of their two top scorers.

Per The Athletic's Sean Shapiro, Stars CEO Jim Lites described Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn as "f--king horses--t" for their performances during Thursday's 2-0 win against the Nashville Predators.

We are a stars-driven league, and our stars aren't getting it done," Lites said. "It's embarrassing, and no one writes it. Write it! These guys are not good enough. They're not good enough for me, they're not good enough for the owner and they're certainly not good enough for the general manager, whom I can't speak for, but it's not good enough for the job he's done."

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Knies plays LW, and unless Domi is moved to LW then baring some unexpected trade, Knies is probably The best LW so he's probably playing with Matthews regardless of where in the top 6 Marner plays.

You asked me what makes me think Marner will be better than ever and then proceeded to answer your own question he's entering his contract year.

I'm going to assume you are brand new to the sport because if you weren't you'd know that a lot of players tend to go off in their contract year, case in point last year with William Nylander.

Assuming Marner plays 75 games it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see 110 points from him.

Boston got stronger on defense absolutely but not up front and certainly not in net.

Also I didn't twist your words, you are the one that suggested taking the best winger on the team and playing him 10 minutes a night on the 4th line, no coach would do something that stupid.

Yes I do think you should play your best players together because they are the best players on the team.

Would you also suggest playing Marchand on the 4th line in Boston? He's in the last year of his contract too.

Ehlers in Winnipeg?

Leon in Edmonton?

You don't play a top 6 player on the 4th line just because they are in the last year of their contract.

It should have happened in 2021 after he blew a 3-1 series lead to Montreal.

But regardless changing the coach is a big change.
Marner will pace out a 100 or so points like he always does, contract year won’t matter.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The goal should be winning the cup. I think most leaf fans would accept/ be happy with less assuming the effort was 100% sometimes you can do everything right and still lose. The problem with the leafs is when they lose it seems to always be from lack of effort/heart (optically speaking. Not necessarily in reality).
IF, they actually gave 100% then agreed, but this bunch haven’t come close to giving their all and anyone who thinks they have is delusional……….

Reactions: HolyCrap

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Marner will pace out a 100 or so points like he always does, contract year won’t matter.
Not saying much... a whole year with Matthews and #1 pp time and Domi would pace more than 100 points. Matthews would produce 120+ points with Domi, rather than Marner too.

Domi makes 3.75 million.

Reactions: Brad C

myleafs

May 25, 2021
  1. There are 3 players on a line. Knies and Matthews are only 2
  2. It may lead to winning more games
Marner with Matthews will be detrimental to Knies and to Matthews. Knies needs a bigger role than just the 3rd wheel which he will be if those 2 are together. Matthews game without Marner last year was the best I've seen him. Domi was not bias in his puck distribution and it was a breath of fresh air compared to Marners predictable passing to 34 at all costs.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Imagine how many Rockets Matthews could win if only he hadn't been saddled with Marner all those years:sarcasm:
last year Matthews played with 3 playmaker style linemates. Domi, Nylander and Marner. Nylander being also a scoring threat, while the other two not so much. Here there primary assist rate on Matthews goals/60.

Primary assists per/60 on Matthew goals
11 million Marner: 0.83
7 million Nylander: 0.89
3 million Domi: 1.45

Reactions: Burnie97

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Mitch is not waiving and likely doesn’t appear like he’s even going to be asked. Let’s move on

Also Marner had 85 points in 69 games last year which is literally a 101 point pace if not for injuries.
Every year there is a different excuse as to why he has never actually got 100 points

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad