Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Chris Johnston disagrees with you.

he recently indicated that teams like the Panthers and Lightning have more pressure to be highly successful in the playoffs because fans dont show up otherwise and its an unsuccessful business (even if a good season team) While it doesnt matter in Toronto becase they are a top 1,2 or 3 revenue team just by being a great season team and they get playoff gates.

So @ACC1224 Is wrong again. As per usual.

Link is here: starts around 9:00

He stated it is a theory.

It is a stupid theory.

You can be more successful and bring in more money, the risk of missing the playoffs is small, and you'd get the fanbase excited with new players.

I am sure jersey sales and other merchandise would increase with more excitement.

The more likely scenario is that there were no deals that were good enough for them to do it, not everyone has a Treliving to trade with like the Panthers did.

CJ is a journalist trying to guess about business practices, so it seems silly to quote it as truth.

Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Difficult to continue to support an organization that doesn't take accountability seriously. If its a 'we're running it back scenario' as it appears to be, I will almost be irritated watching this team - can't do it - it would literally feel like I'm being trolled by the organization at this point.

just don't watch? I don't understand people who follow something that doesn't bring them joy.

Reactions: Confucius

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He stated it is a theory.

It is a stupid theory.

You can be more successful and bring in more money, the risk of missing the playoffs is small.

The more likely scenario is that there were no deals that were good enough for them to do it, not everyone has a Treliving to trade with like the Panthers did.
Naaa even more likely that Marner refused to waive or even provide a list as the rumors suggested. insiders have been right about everything else this summer, the injury to to the big ufa dman, matthews captaincy, robertson wanting out...yet some Marner fans are trying to convince themselves that the rumor of Marner being unwilling to waive and planning to play out his final year were made up.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
You either dont get it or failes to take the time to understand what CJ qas saying or are just playing ignorant at this point.
Yea the CJ clip was tough to understand :laugh:

So care to address what I posted? Why would an org spend so much on facilities, development, analytics, etc. if they weren't interested in having the team perform to the best of their abilities?

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
just don't watch? I don't understand people who follow something that doesn't bring them joy.
Yes exactly, that is exactly what I’m saying - I won’t be able to watch. But this a forum, so I’m allowed to chat with other fans who share a similar sentiment and are frustrated /annoyed. It’s more amazing to me the fans who are singing Kumbaya like everything is fine - 1 playoff win in 9 years with this core in any other organization there would easily have been serious changes

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Naaa even more likely that Marner refused to waive or even provide a list as the rumors suggested. insiders have been right about everything else this summer, the injury to to the big ufa dman, matthews captaincy, robertson wanting out...yet some Marner fans are trying to convince themselves that the Marner being unwilling to waive and planning to play out his final year were made up.

CJ had a theory, he was not presenting it as an insider, he was presenting it as someone uneducated in business.

I don't know what is true and not true with Marner, but thinking the team is unlikely to make changes to try to win because they are scared they might not get 3-4 games of playoff revenue is idiotic.

Yes exactly, that is exactly what I’m saying - I won’t be able to watch. But this a forum, so I’m allowed to chat with other fans who share a similar sentiment and are frustrated /annoyed. It’s more amazing to me the fans who are singing Kumbaya like everything is fine - 1 playoff win in 9 years with this core in any other organization there would easily been serious changes

Ya, do as you please, wasn't saying otherwise.

I just see a lot of "I hate the players, I hate the team, and I hate myself, so I'll continue watching", it makes no sense.

I enjoy watching the team when they are good and bad, my life doesn't revolve around them, it is a fun experience... I assume this is how most fans feel.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yes exactly, that is exactly what I’m saying - I won’t be able to watch. But this a forum, so I’m allowed to chat with other fans who share a similar sentiment and are frustrated /annoyed. It’s more amazing to me the fans who are singing Kumbaya like everything is fine - 1 playoff win in 9 years with this core in any other organization there would easily have been serious changes
Exactly, I hate what’s happening to the Leafs, but I’m still a fan much like I hate what’s happening to our country, but am still a Canadian……….

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

So care to address what I posted? Why would an org spend so much on facilities, development, analytics, etc. if they weren't interested in having the team perform to the best of their abilities

They want to win, but it’s not their top priority—they’d rather stick to the status quo than risk becoming a bad team again. The Leafs have consistently been a strong regular-season team but dreadful in the playoffs, yet they still rake in top-three revenue. According to CJ, that’s not the case for teams in weaker markets; those teams need championships to draw fans, which is why they’re more willing to take risks.

Th3 above makes sense and I believe CJ would know this better than @ACC1224

Personally, I see additionally tessons for not moving Marner last year. LLast offseason wasn’t the best timing for Shanahan—he likely didn’t want to make a drastic move and risk it backfiring, especially after the fallout with Dubas. A positive season would also make it more likely that Matthews and Nylander would re-sign. We all know the rumors about how the fans can scare players away, so it was better not to risk a disastrous season and increasing the negativity, especially with the recent criticism and negativity surrounding management. With Matthews and Nylander’s contracts expiring the following year, they probably didn’t want to risk losing all three in just a couple of years and becoming a disaster again.

Additionally ... Marner has been a feel-good story and great for PR—a hometown kid with a squeaky-clean image who was certainly popular. Teams traditionally love these types of storylines. But that narrative has been slowly unraveling.

The tides have shifted now. Nylander and Matthews are signed, but Marner has another disappointing playoff performance under his belt, and the situation between him, the media, and fans has turned toxic. Plus, McDavid—the best player on the planet—has never hidden his love for the Leafs, trains with Matthews in the offseason, and his contract is up in two years. There are even rumors that he might not be fully committed to staying in Edmonton.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
They want to win, but it’s not their top priority—they’d rather stick to the status quo than risk becoming a bad team again. The Leafs have consistently been a strong regular-season team but dreadful in the playoffs, yet they still rake in top-three revenue. According to CJ, that’s not the case for teams in weaker markets; those teams need championships to draw fans, which is why they’re more willing to take risks.

Th3 above makes sense and I believe CJ would know this better than @ACC1224

Personally, I see additionally tessons for not moving Marner last year. LLast offseason wasn’t the best timing for Shanahan—he likely didn’t want to make a drastic move and risk it backfiring, especially after the fallout with Dubas. A positive season would also make it more likely that Matthews and Nylander would re-sign. We all know the rumors about how the fans can scare players away, so it was better not to risk a disastrous season and increasing the negativity, especially with the recent criticism and negativity surrounding management. With Matthews and Nylander’s contracts expiring the following year, they probably didn’t want to risk losing all three in just a couple of years and becoming a disaster again.

Additionally ... Marner has been a feel-good story and great for PR—a hometown kid with a squeaky-clean image who was certainly popular. Teams traditionally love these types of storylines. But that narrative has been slowly unraveling.

The tides have shifted now. Nylander and Matthews are signed, but Marner has another disappointing playoff performance under his belt, and the situation between him, the media, and fans has turned toxic. Plus, McDavid—the best player on the planet—has never hidden his love for the Leafs, trains with Matthews in the offseason, and his contract is up in two years. There are even rumors that he might not be fully committed to staying in Edmonton.
Testify brother, hour hitting it out of the park………

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
CJ had a theory, he was not presenting it as an insider, he was presenting it as someone uneducated in business.

I don't know what is true and not true with Marner, but thinking the team is unlikely to make changes to try to win because they are scared they might not get 3-4 games of playoff revenue is idiotic.

I just see a lot of "I hate the players, I hate the team, and I hate myself, so I'll continue watching", it makes no sense.

I enjoy watching the team when they are good and bad, my life doesn't revolve around them, it is a fun experience... I assume this is how most fans feel.

CJ was speaking from the point of view of a professional who has been inside every single NHL building for many years. He has so much experience being in and out of NHL arenas that he would be considered an expert, in fact. So, unless you or ACC have spent a very significant amount of time traveling NA and have been in and out of every NHL arena, than CJ certainly has more experience to speak from than you two. He has far more experience than 99% of the world, actually.

Did you listen to the entire interview? He specifically said that Florida's arena sucked to be in. The Leafs sell out every game; having people in seats is not a problem for them. It's a problem for teams in non-established markets, even if they have a team that makes the playoffs....they need championship runs.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
CJ was speaking from the point of view of a professional who has been inside every single NHL building for many years. He has so much experience being in and out of NHL arenas that he would be considered an expert, in fact. So, unless you or ACC have spent a very significant amount of time traveling NA and have been in and out of every NHL arena, than CJ certainly has more experience to speak from than you two. He has far more experience than 99% of the world, actually.

Did you listen to the entire interview? He specifically said that Florida's arena sucked to be in. The Leafs sell out every game; having people in seats is not a problem for them. It's a problem for teams in non-established markets, even if they have a team that makes the playoffs....they need championship runs.
Florida, like many other teams cannot bank on their fan bases buying ticket to a sub par product, not many teams have fan’s valuing their season ticket subscription like they do in Toronto, hense they have to ice a goid product or else…….

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

You are grasping, he said it was a theory of his.

He specifically caught himself to say it was a theory.

Do you realize how much the Leafs are losing by not bringing in as many new fans or losing fans or losing out on merch or not going further in the playoffs?

The lack of enthusiasm is probably more damaging than missing the playoffs in this market.

They still sold out the years they sucked.

This convo is dumb, if you think the Leafs are content with a first round appearance and then going out, not sure what to say, I don't believe that a logical adult could actually believe that.

Florida, like many other teams cannot bank on their fan bases buying ticket to a sub par product, not many teams have fan’s valuing their season ticket subscription like they do in Toronto, hense they have to ice a goid product or else…….

The more successful the Leafs are, the more money they make... this is not hard.

Why don't they try to ice the best team possible to maximize profits?

Laziness?

Reactions: bax and ACC1224

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You are grasping, he said it was a theory of his.

He specifically caught himself to say it was a theory.

Do you realize how much the Leafs are losing by not bringing in as many new fans or losing fans or losing out on merch or not going further in the playoffs?

The lack of enthusiasm is probably more damaging than missing the playoffs in this market.

They still sold out the years they sucked.

This convo is dumb, if you think the Leafs are content with a first round appearance and then going out, not sure what to say, I don't believe that a logical adult could actually believe that.

The more successful the Leafs are, the more money they make... this is not hard.

Why don't they try to ice the best team possible to maximize profits?

Laziness?
Incompetence…….

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

It is exactly how I feel. I am looking forward to the games. In fact, I am going to watch as much hockey as possible.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

So care to address what I posted? Why would an org spend so much on facilities, development, analytics, etc. if they weren't interested in having the team perform to the best of their abilities?
It also begs the question as to why a team that spends all that money on all those things and the players, fails so often and is unable to use them to build a winning team

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Difficult to continue to support an organization that doesn't take accountability seriously. If its a 'we're running it back scenario' as it appears to be, I will almost be irritated watching this team - can't do it - it would literally feel like I'm being trolled by the organization at this point.
You are being hoodwinked just like the rest of us. 50+ years with very little success, 8 straight years of playoff failures with this core and they are still tryin to tell us to be patience :laugh:

Doesnt matter for them though, they've continued to rake in top revenue this entire time with failures, why would they want to change their business model. At the end of the day, theyre making top revenue whether theyre in the playoffs and losing or not. There is an extremely long list of suckers wanting to give these greedy grubs their money regardless of the on ice product.

Leafs will have a good regular season. They will get bounced in game 7 round 1 once again. They will re-sign Mitch to an over priced contract. Shanny will finally be fired, and then we will start the cycle all over again with a new face trying to disguise that as "hope" for the fanbase.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You are being hoodwinked just like the rest of us. 50+ years with very little success, 8 straight years of playoff failures with this core and they are still tryin to tell us to be patience :laugh:

Doesnt matter for them though, they've continued to rake in top revenue this entire time with failures, why would they want to change their business model. At the end of the day, theyre making top revenue whether theyre in the playoffs and losing or not. There is an extremely long list of suckers wanting to give these greedy grubs their money regardless of the on ice product.

Leafs will have a good regular season. They will get bounced in game 7 round 1 once again. They will re-sign Mitch to an over priced contract. Shanny will finally be fired, and then we will start the cycle all over again with a new face trying to disguise that as "hope" for the fanbase.
We’ve all watched this core and nothing suggests they’re winners, so why not accept it them for who they are. The hope is that Berube can change things enough that they can win a round without relying on the core to do things they can’t do.

The Leafs are in a similar situation as Vancouver was last year and Tocchet was able to steer them in the right direction, but at the end of the day, they had too many players that don’t know how to play or physically can’t play in the playoffs. We’ll see what Berube can do.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It also begs the question as to why a team that spends all that money on all those things and the players, fails so often and is unable to use them to build a winning team
We know the answer to that question and they’re trying to get out of it.
They prematurely quit the rebuild and hired an apprentice GM and the results were exactly what we’ve expected.

Last edited:

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

10 years ago (or longer) fans made posts like this accept they accused MLSE of not wanting to make the playoffs.

I "hope" our fanbase can one day be less cynical/disenchanted.

Reactions: bax

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
10 years ago (or longer) fans made posts like this accept they accused MLSE of not wanting to make the playoffs.

I "hope" our fanbase can one day be less cynical/disenchanted.
Not wanting to make the playoffs? I certainly dont recall these posts 10 years ago.

Reactions: rumman

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Not wanting to make the playoffs? I certainly dont recall these posts 10 years ago.
You don't ever remember seeing fans say: "MLSE doesn't care. All they want to do is make money. They know they can ice a lousy team and fans will buy tickets/tune in to games on TV. They don't care about making the playoffs." It was as cynical as you can imagine, but it existed.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Chris Johnston disagrees with you.

he recently indicated that teams like the Panthers and Lightning have more pressure to be highly successful in the playoffs because fans dont show up otherwise and its an unsuccessful business (even if a good season team) While it doesnt matter in Toronto becase they are a top 1,2 or 3 revenue team just by being a great season team and they get playoff gates.

So @ACC1224 Is wrong again. As per usual.

Link is here: starts around 9:00

Your hubris is disappointing, you know nothing about hockey or business. You've never played the game but yet your opinions on hockey never end. WOW.

Toronto - No pressure...
Dal8GC7X0AAkNT5.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad