Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You see the difference is you are using marner as the scapegoat. Let’s call a spade a spade, if the leafs had any balls they would say to Tavares I’m sorry but your time in Toronto is done. Lightening make hard choices they let stamkos go without any hesitation. We will offer Tavares a 4/5 year contract at 5/6 million and be happy to do it.

I agree nylander and matthews don’t have the alpha gene to become a monster in the playoffs.we are subject to another 8 years of futility because we don’t have balls to make hard decisions.
I don't think that's true. They made the choice not to pay him his ask, I'm sure they would have loved to have brought him back at a more reasonable number.

Reactions: therealkoho

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
It’d be just as good for the players association if the Leafs do well.

It’s too bad that they can’t work out, practice and it’s impossible to improve their skills at this stage of their careers.
Yeah I've read in the past, where players and execs have stated the Leafs winning would be good for the league as a whole.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
I don't think that's true. They made the choice not to pay him his ask, I'm sure they would have loved to have brought him back at a more reasonable number.
What’s a more reasonable number for a guy who still scores over 40 a year. He signed in a tax free state of Tennessee.
We are thinking about giving Tavares a new contract who in my opinion is quickly becoming a complete albatross going forward.
If management is making hard decisions then it’s not Tavares over marner. We don’t need to give a soon to be washed up player another retirement contract, let him go somewhere else if he wants to continue to play. Giving him another 3/4/5 year contract at half his salary with a NMC is not in the leafs best interest.

Reactions: myleafs and weems

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You see the difference is you are using marner as the scapegoat. Let’s call a spade a spade, if the leafs had any balls they would say to Tavares I’m sorry but your time in Toronto is done. Lightening make hard choices they let stamkos go without any hesitation. We will offer Tavares a 4/5 year contract at 5/6 million and be happy to do it.

I agree nylander and matthews don’t have the alpha gene to become a monster in the playoffs.we are subject to another 8 years of futility because we don’t have balls to make hard decisions.
I use Marner because he is the pending UFA and will want $12+m. Tavares, has jumped the shark but he will be taking much less or he can GTFO as well. Problem is 34 is only signed for 4 years so they won't want to take a step back and potentially run out of time with 34. Like I said before, my hope now lies in Berube finding a way to get the 3 to the next level playoff wise.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
What’s a more reasonable number for a guy who still scores over 40 a year. He signed in a tax free state of Tennessee.
We are thinking about giving Tavares a new contract who in my opinion is quickly becoming a complete albatross going forward.
If management is making hard decisions then it’s not Tavares over marner. We don’t need to give a soon to be washed up player another retirement contract, let him go somewhere else if he wants to continue to play. Giving him another 3/4/5 year contract at half his salary with a NMC is not in the leafs best interest.
I meant reasonable within their cap structure. Had he agreed to a number they could have fit, they would have extended him, IMO.
He priced himself off the team, I don't see it as they made a choice to remove him. He essentially removed himself.

I would assume the same will happen with Tavares. If it can work, he'll be re-signed. If he wants more, he'll have to find it elsewhere.
Marner has nothing to do with Tavares. One is the 2nd best player, the others play is sinking like a stone.

Reactions: therealkoho

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yeah I've read in the past, where players and execs have stated the Leafs winning would be good for the league as a whole.
It would drive up revenues for the NHL and would be enormously profitable for the Leafs. I heard the Oilers made $7 million gates during the finals.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It would drive up revenues for the NHL and would be enormously profitable for the Leafs. I heard the Oilers made $7 million gates during the finals.
Easier to sell jerseys and tickets than win a SC in Toronto. 57+ years of failing to do so is more than enough proof. Yup, winning were Ballard and TPF #1 priorities. LOL.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I don't know where you get your information.

They did make a decision early last off season - they very clearly stated their priority was to sign Matthews and Nylander. They entertained offers, but obviously didn't like any, so they signed him for his original ask. It's a bit high thanks to Dubas, but certainly not 'bloated'. (I'm glad you agree the date was irrelevant.)

Pasternak signed a year earlier for $11.25. Signing a comparable player for $11.5 under a higher cap isn't unreasonable.

Bonus is irrelevant as far as total package goes - it just means he gets his money a bit sooner.

As for Marner, it's not 'apparent' - reputable sources say his agent very clearly said that. If you happen to think it makes no sense, take it up with his agent - don't blame me for stating facts you don't like.

They did make a decision early last off season - they very clearly stated their priority was to sign Matthews and Nylander. They entertained offers, but obviously didn't like any, so they signed him for his original ask. It's a bit high thanks to Dubas, but certainly not 'bloated'. (I'm glad you agree the date was irrelevant.)

Pasternak signed a year earlier for $11.25. Signing a comparable player for $11.5 under a higher cap isn't unreasonable.

Bonus is irrelevant as far as total package goes - it just means he gets his money a bit sooner.

As for Marner, it's not 'apparent' - reputable sources say his agent very clearly said that. If you happen to think it makes no sense, take it up with his agent - don't blame me for stating facts you don't like.
I have to ask, what makes nylander a comparable player to pastrnak this time around?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I use Marner because he is the pending UFA and will want $12+m. Tavares, has jumped the shark but he will be taking much less or he can GTFO as well. Problem is 34 is only signed for 4 years so they won't want to take a step back and potentially run out of time with 34. Like I said before, my hope now lies in Berube finding a way to get the 3 to the next level playoff wise.
Berube’s a good coach, but the core will have to find it within themselves to become playoff warriors, sadly I think it’s doubtful they will do what it takes to become said warriors…….

Naw, they'd rather lose and sell shirts. :laugh:
Well, they have perfected the recipe for jersey sales, guess that makes them winners in a way……..

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Easier to sell jerseys and tickets than win a SC in Toronto. 57+ years of failing to do so is more than enough proof. Yup, winning were Ballard and TPF #1 priorities. LOL.
It's amazing that you don't realize how stupid that sounds.

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog

myleafs

May 25, 2021

So Nylander deserves more for less? You would choose Nylander over Pastrnak?
Nylander
603217311528+24
54202343+1

Pastrnak
674348379727+141

90394887+2

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I meant reasonable within their cap structure. Had he agreed to a number they could have fit, they would have extended him, IMO.
He priced himself off the team, I don't see it as they made a choice to remove him. He essentially removed himself.

I would assume the same will happen with Tavares. If it can work, he'll be re-signed. If he wants more, he'll have to find it elsewhere.
Marner has nothing to do with Tavares. One is the 2nd best player, the others play is sinking like a stone.
I would take your 3rd best player (im assuming you mean 88) over your 2nd best player for the playoffs 10 out of 10 times.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Naw, they'd rather lose and sell shirts. :laugh:
Chris Johnston disagrees with you.

he recently indicated that teams like the Panthers and Lightning have more pressure to be highly successful in the playoffs because fans dont show up otherwise and its an unsuccessful business (even if a good season team) While it doesnt matter in Toronto becase they are a top 1,2 or 3 revenue team just by being a great season team and they get playoff gates.

So @ACC1224 Is wrong again. As per usual.

Link is here: starts around 9:00

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

he recently indicated that teams like the Panthers and Lightning have more pressure to be highly successful in the playoffs because fans dont show up otherwise and its an unsuccessful business (even if a good season team) While it doesnt matter in Toronto becase they are a top 1,2 or 3 revenue team just by being a great season team and they get playoff gates.

Dangle nails it, MLSE are afraid of Marner and his representation………

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
It's amazing that you don't realize how stupid that sounds.
Are the Leafs willing to sponsor a free "replace the A with a C" promotion for all of the fans who already bought 34 jerseys or are they going to sell fans a new 34 jersey with the "C" and make their "A" jerseys redundant?

Enquiring minds wanna know.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
You really can’t have it both ways. So we are back to the majority of fans want to keep Marner. Yes I was correct all along. Thankyou!

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

It's amazing that CJ does not realize how stupid that sounds. LOL.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You really can’t have it both ways. So we are back to the majority of fans want to keep Marner. Yes I was correct all along. Thankyou!
See @Antropovsky's post above. This organization is a joke and they prove it every October when they run it back and then in April when they lose with the same core and in the same predictable way.

Last edited:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Mitch plays on a line with 91 and 23

Knies is for real

Mitch finally puts up 100+

JT ends the season as 3rd line C and has a solid playoff

JT and MM are both re-signed

Last edited:

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
See above. Its amazing how you dont realize how little you know about hockey.
  • Spend more than they need to on players every year
  • Take on uninsured contracts to gain more assets
  • Spend on first class training and practice facilities
  • Spend on one of, if not the, largest player development staff
  • Spend on large scouting staff
  • Spend on 5 "assistant" GM's
  • Spend on one of, if not the, largest analytics staff
  • etc. etc.
Not really the actions of an organization that is only interested in profits.

Amazing how little some know about how expenses affect profitability

Reactions: Confucius

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
  • Spend more than they need to on players every year
  • Take on uninsured contracts to gain more assets
  • Spend on first class training and practice facilities
  • Spend on one of, if not the, largest player development staff
  • Spend on large scouting staff
  • Spend on 5 "assistant" GM's
  • Spend on one of, if not the, largest analytics staff
  • etc. etc.
Not really the actions of an organization that is only interested in profits.

Amazing how little some know about how expenses affect profitability
You either dont get it or failes to take the time to understand what CJ qas saying or are just playing ignorant at this point.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Difficult to continue to support an organization that doesn't take accountability seriously. If its a 'we're running it back scenario' as it appears to be, I will almost be irritated watching this team - can't do it - it would literally feel like I'm being trolled by the organization at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad