Speculation: Leon Draisaitl maybe the highest paid NHL player

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Not a huge surprise. We'll see these top end guys set new salary highs for the next few years basically every summer. It was McDavid, then Mackinnon, then Matthews, now drai, then McDavid again.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I think at this point Drai is likely walking next summer.
classic Flames fan wishful thinking....based on what?

He will want to get paid and want to go to a contender. Edmonton can't afford him, and I believe he gave them a deadline of Aug 31 to sign him.

The clock is ticking...
lol, where did you hear this?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Sure but Bouchards were almost entirely useless and came off the backs of the other two.
I give credit when it's due and Mcdrai are insanely good, Bouchard and his 10 million future cap hit along with Nurse will stifle the oilers from ever winning it all

What on earth??!?!

Bouchard had more goals (hint, hint, his goals come from the POINT, which means he had to do something) than any other D this playoffs.

50% of his goals were game winners, including:
* the only goal of the game in gm4 vs LA (Edmonton won 1-0)
* the OT goal vs Vancouver in GM2
* the last minute GWG vs Vancouver in GM4

Look them up and tell me which ones were meaningless before you spout off again.

In addition:
* a pretty meaningful pass for a tip-in during 2OT of game 1 vs Dallas

In all:
* I looked it up, Bouchard factored into 10/15 Game Winning Goals in our entire playoffs... 67%!!!

PS: He also has over 60% of the goal share when he's NOT playing with McDavid.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
He’ll wind up between 13.5 and 14. Not a huge discount for the Oilers, but still a discount compared to what he’d get on the open market.

Reactions: Seanaconda

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I’ve always been a bit surprised that Oilers fans thought Draisaitl re-signing was a given, ESPECIALLY the fans/media that were expecting him to take a discount.

Like, legitimately the only valid reason they have over any other organization in the NHL is that they have McDavid. And he has 1 year remaining after this season, there is no guarantee he wants to re-sign.

I’m not surprised he is (allegedly) asking for 14M at a minimum. Edmonton is not a premier city/organization no matter how much their fans and media parrot it. Making the cup finals was a fluke.

I’ll probably get painted as a Flames fan hater, and sure. I am. But that doesn’t change the fact that it’s nearly training camp and neither side seems close on a deal.
I think Drai asks 14m no matter where he is. It isn't about location or anything other than money. The worse the mindset, the farther away it takes you from hoisting the Cup. You need more than that mindset to win and it explains why the Oilers ran out of gas, if that's the mindset of the locker room. I'm not against getting paid, but you spend your entire life practicing this craft, at the core of you it should be about the craft, not the money. The money always comes if you perfect your craft and forcing it is going to do nothing other than slamming the window shut because the players you need to make the most important step of your career you can't because the money they need to get them is sewn up by you.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
you new to hockey?
cause they give out trophies too
Well I hope you're proudly sporting your 2nd place hat and matching T-shirt around Edmonton this weekend.

Congratulations on winning 2nd place.

That's an accomplishment right up there with the 2017 Nashville Predators and 2020 Dallas Stars. And who can ever forget the 2016 San Jose Sharks team that lost 4 games to 2 to some club... I think they are based in Pennsylvania somewhere. That team has this captain named Crosby or something like that. But who can remember them?

It's the 2016 Sharks team. Wow... Now that was a 2nd place team who lives on in our hearts and minds forever.

Last edited:

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Well I hope you're proudly sporting your 2nd place hat and matching T-shirt around Edmonton this weekend.

Congratulations on winning 2nd place.

That's an accomplishment right up there with the 2017 Nashville Predators and 2020 Dallas Stars. And who can ever forget the 2016 San Jose Sharks.
I am actually pretty proud thanks

how did your team do this year?

Reactions: AlbOilFAN

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think most fans have been expecting Leon to be the highest paid player in the NHL after his next deal is signed, for one entire year until McDavid signs his extension. As others have said, that's how this goes. The top players in the world will always get paid, and Leon is a top 5 player in the world, has had just as good of a career as anyone in the league aside from McDavid and Kucherov, team awards aside, so of course he will get paid on his next deal.

We just want it wrapped up and finalized. One less thing to worry about.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Anyone else of note signing in the next two years? Or are Oilers going to have two of the highest paid guys in the league?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Sure but Bouchards were almost entirely useless and came off the backs of the other two.
I give credit when it's due and Mcdrai are insanely good, Bouchard and his 10 million future cap hit along with Nurse will stifle the oilers from ever winning it all
You should try watching an Edmonton Oilers hockey game sometime. It might help you understand more about Edmonton Oilers hockey players.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Ironically, if Swayman is thinking of the greater good of his other goalies, he should take less.

The players as a collective get the same amount of money regardless of how it is distributed amongst the individual players. They get 50 percent of HRR.

Not only that, Swayman taking a higher salary as a star ensures there is less money available for secondary or tertiary players. Swayman at 8M instead of 10M might mean that another star goalie who is a tier below him get 6.5M instead of 8M, but that 2M that Swayman left on the table and 1.5M that the other goalie left on the table are very likely to get distributed to other players. Based on the number of players who aren't superstars and don't make big money, if we're purely speaking altruistically, Swayman would be doing the best thing for other players by taking less because it would increase the odds that the difference between his ask and the Bruins offer would be redistributed to a player who otherwise may have a much smaller window of opportunity than Swayman to earn their money.
I think goalies salaries have stagnated at the top end and as a goalie. Him and Shesterkin don't want to be screwed over.

He will want to get paid and want to go to a contender. Edmonton can't afford him, and I believe he gave them a deadline of Aug 31 to sign him.

The clock is ticking...

Unsure. Edmonton can afford him. He is probably negotiating hard which he should and get every penny he wants.

Similar to Crosby as a pens fan. He wants to get paid more. He deserves it.

Bouchard had like a ton of game winning points…

I’m not a huge fan of him, but this just screams you didn’t watch a second of the postseason

Agreed Bouchard played incredible and has been a major part of Edmonton last 2 years.

I think he signs somewhere else and in the end it benefits the Oilers who are able to use his cap hit to create some depth.

I don't think losing a top 5 forward who doesn't need speed to be effective so aging won't effect his game.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
they LOVE those points against the Kings and 3rd string goalies. But they hate when you bring up the fact that they completely disappeared one they were forced to play real goalies.
Bouchard had 12 points in 13 games against Oettinger and Bobrovsky with one of those being an OT winning primary assist against Oettinger.
Draisaitl had 2 goals and 4 points in 6 games against Oettinger which isn't great but he was also injured.

You should try watching an Edmonton Oilers hockey game sometime. It might help you understand more about Edmonton Oilers hockey players.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
like Oettinger?
oh wait, another excuse incoming...
Draisaitl was awful in that series, and it continued into the finals. Not sure what excuse I need there?

Bouchard had 12 points in 13 games against Oettinger and Bobrovsky with one of those being an OT winning primary assist against Oettinger.

How did Drai and McDavid do? Believe me, I didn’t miss a second. I held the watch party for my town in Game 7, which finished with one of the biggest parties in the history of Alberta.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

The clock is ticking...
Doubtful he walks, a lot of time to get the deal done.

I do however doubt he takes a discount unless it comes in under $13 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad