Speculation: Leon Draisaitl maybe the highest paid NHL player

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
No trolling at all. McDavid had most of his points in the finals in one game (after his team was up 3 goals already) and Draisaitl did NOTHING.
Perhaps you weren't aware he was playing with broken ribs and a broken finger since the Dallas series. Meanwhile Matthews missed most of the first round, the only round the Leafs ever play, with a sore tummy.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Also half of these reports are from Frank Servalli...

He goes on Edmonton Radio and says that Leon is going to take a discount

Then he goes on Calgary Radio and says Leon is going to ask for record money

Hmmm... wonder if there are any ulterior motives here?
You know, both of these things can be true right?

Leon is probably going to be the highest paid player in the league (for a year, before McDavid has his new deal kick in). And it can still be a discount, considering what he could be making on the open market.

If Leon hits the open market, I bet there would be a team or two offering him 16M x 7y. Equivalent of that is 14M x 7y. So taking a bit less, let's say 13.5M would absolutely be a discount for Edmonton. Yet it would still be record money.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
so they take another bad contract back, probably gotta give up a pick along with Nurse, It does happen.

Sure it "can" be moved, but the Oilers don't really come out in any better shape in that scenario. The post I quoted essentially insinuated that the Oilers could pay to have that problem go away completely, when in reality it's not going away without causing major repercussions.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Still wondering, how much AAV do you think Bouchard is worth?
Sorry missed that part. It's tricky with him because he's clearly better than nurse and no matter how he came by his points there's no such thing as a McDavid discount so on the oilers he deserves north of 9.5.
Do I think he would be anywhere near that on a team without McDrai or the nurse contract? No because I think he would be on a second pair putting up a very good 15+ goals and maybe 60 points. Taking that into account and imo below average defensively 7-8 million?

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
Please stop. You're making Leaf fans look bad.
What’s it have to do with the Leafs? That sounds like your issue not mine.

Yah no way the Oilers would have made it past the Habs or the Columbus Blue Jackets :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Are you a masochist or something?
I don’t remember those series in the last few years. I guess I’ll have to go re watch!

Y
a Leaf fan questioning how another teams players did in the playoffs especially the stanley cup finals, god damn I hate my teams fanbase sometimes. They made the god damn finals. Your little boy wonder Matthews disappears EVERY playoff hes been in and has seen the 2nd round 1 time!! but hey, go off kid.
Your point? This wasn’t about Matthews. This was about how an overrated player racked up points when games were over, and then disappeared when needed. Stay on topic

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
Stay on topic. Your opinion on how my posts “look” have nothing to do with the fact Draisaitl disappeared when it mattered most. The stats don’t lie. They had a healthy roster, against unhealthy rosters. Those stats also don’t lie.
You're calling the guy who is second only to McDavid in playoff (over the last decade) scoring p/gp a disappearing act. You're ridiculous.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Stay on topic. Your opinion on how my posts “look” have nothing to do with the fact Draisaitl disappeared when it mattered most. The stats don’t lie. They had a healthy roster, against unhealthy rosters. Those stats also don’t lie.
The stats don’t lie

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

Pandering to your audience 101

A real politician

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Bad contracts get dealt all the time, but certainly not ones that come with such significant term remaining.

Everyone said that about DuBois just a few months ago.

Plus I said after McDavid extend/starts his new deal meaning in 2 seasons. He'd have 4 seasons left on his deal at that point. He will be movable, the issue will be what will the cost be.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

Exact point I wanted to make. I’m pretty sure he’s basing it off of the fact a deal isn’t done yet and nothing more. The guy changes his stance on everything. Wasn’t he 90% sure Elias Lindholm was going to remain a Flame. He’s all over the map.

My personal opinion is Drai signs for 12.9 per. It’s smack dab between what Matthews and MacKinnon are making. Yes, they signed those deals 1 and 2 years earlier respectively, but MacKinnon is also clearly the better player and Matthews vs Draisaitl is heavily debated (Drai has an Art Ross and better playoff production; Matthews has 3 Rocket Richard trophies and is better defensively). Also, Matthews and MacKinnon are the best players on their team, Draisaitl is not. He isn’t the primary driving force on his team. For those reasons, I don’t think there’s an automatic “he has to be the highest paid player”.

I think if the following happened:

Draisaitl 12.9
Bouchard 9
McDavid 15

It would be a number where they’re all leaving a bit on the table, but not so much that the PA or their agents are disappointed.

You play to win the game first and foremost. Any player playing solely for the money isn’t going to win shit, and will ironically hinder their earning potential when they inevitably flame out early and no one wants them in their early 30’s.

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
You know, both of these things can be true right?

Leon is probably going to be the highest paid player in the league (for a year, before McDavid has his new deal kick in). And it can still be a discount, considering what he could be making on the open market.

If Leon hits the open market, I bet there would be a team or two offering him 16M x 7y. Equivalent of that is 14M x 7y. So taking a bit less, let's say 13.5M would absolutely be a discount for Edmonton. Yet it would still be record money.
Honestly I can't see any team giving him 16M at max term. In the 14teens max imho.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Oil better hope they can get it done before training camp. I'm sure Leon is going to love the likes of Matheson, Gregor, and Spector in his face about it every media scrum. Just getting away from those idiots might be worth finding a new home in itself.

• Haha
Reactions: Frank Drebin

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
Oil better hope they can get it done before training camp. I'm sure Leon is going to love the likes of Matheson, Gregor, and Spector in his face about it every media scrum. Just getting away from those idiots might be worth finding a new home in itself.
Decent chance Draisaitl plays more games for the Sharks or Kings this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad