Speculation: Leon Draisaitl maybe the highest paid NHL player

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Lmao at this desperate reach.
Those two things have zero relevance to each other :laugh:

People just have different ideas what a discount is, that is all. One could argue, that MacKinnon took a discount when he re-signed with Colorado to become the highest paid player in the league.
This.

What general fans think is a discount will be different than what Oiler fans think. Hell, everyone is going to think his value is different.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
That explains the oel deal
You guys are doing a great job
I mean mcdavid might win the scoring race next year. Might help get yall back on track, to points not cups!! Deflecting much ! Since again you’re wrong and I’m not a Florida fan

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
McDavid's current contract was 15.72% of the cap back when it kicked in (18/19)
Matthews' new deal is 15.06% of the current cap

If we assume a 4% cap increase to 91.500, the first 4 years of the Draisaitl deal I proposed would be 17.21% of that year's cap. Overall (across the full 8yrs) it's 13.88%, but that's because he'll be 30 and not 'prime age' like his comps. The older years bring the average down, but the effective years are top-dollar.

I'm not sure his agent could reasonably expect more than that (in the first 4 years) but I guess we'll find out eventually.

Ya you never know. His agent can go for a matthews route for a 4 year deal or ask for more money on both the front and back end. We're seeing crosby outplaying the backend deals so its possible for Drai to believe hes a 10M player at age 35.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Ya you never know. His agent can go for a matthews route for a 4 year deal or ask for more money on both the front and back end. We're seeing crosby outplaying the backend deals so its possible for Drai to believe hes a 10M player at age 35.
Crosby is a very rare breed though

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Think the Seth Jarvis deal puts everything on its head now.

The Oilers could do something like defer a bunch of his salary until after age 38 (retirement?), he could then set up residency in Switzerland (next door to Germany) for a year or two once his playing career is over and cash in his deferred money at a much lower tax rate than even Florida. Or even the Bahamas or Dubai or something.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Drai probably will and should be the highest (or at least on par) paid until McDavid signs.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
The Oilers were a very accomplished team in the 1980s when Gretsky was gifted to the club. Nice of the NHL to gift the franchise the best player of all time without them even winning a lottery or earning that pick.

Since then… yeah. Congratulations on winning 2nd place a few times. Y’all host parades for those?

Gretzky was traded to the WHA Oilers who were then absorbed into the NHL. How did the NHL gift the Oilers 99 lol. I mean yes obviously the newly minted NHL Oilers protected him in the expansion draft but that's a no brainer.

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
Gretzky was traded to the WHA Oilers who were then absorbed into the NHL. How did the NHL gift the Oilers 99 lol. I mean yes obviously the newly minted NHL Oilers protected him in the expansion draft but that's a no brainer.
Gretzky was supposed to be put in the 1979 Draft.

• Haha
Reactions: Senor Catface

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Gretzky was supposed to be put in the 1979 Draft.
He had a contract he was supposed to (but chose not to) void because he didn’t want to play for the Colorado Rockies. If anything, the NHL was trying to do everything they could to dick around the 4 WHA teams joining the league.

The league “gifting” the Oilers Gretzky is quite the stretch. The league being outsmarted by a scoundrel (Pocklington) is a bit more apt.

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
He had a contract he was supposed to (but chose not to) void because he didn’t want to play for the Colorado Rockies. If anything, the NHL was trying to do everything they could to dick around the 4 WHA teams joining the league.

The league “gifting” the Oilers Gretzky is quite the stretch. The league being outsmarted by a scoundrel (Pocklington) is a bit more apt.
As a Jet Fan who lost Kent Nilsson. I beg to differ. Out smarted by Pocklington lol. Skalbania move. Personal Service Contract was just a joke. No Legal merit at all. In the end . I believe money talked and Gretzky remained an Oiler.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Draisaitl was awful in that series, and it continued into the finals. Not sure what excuse I need there?

How did Drai and McDavid do? Believe me, I didn’t miss a second. I held the watch party for my town in Game 7, which finished with one of the biggest parties in the history of Alberta.
You clearly partied pretty hard since you cannot recall anything.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Lately Instagram users have posted many things before ive seen it on here so they sorta break the news you can say and one of those trusted sources are saying :

Draisaitl could announce extension as early as tomorrow and it will be 8 years @ $14 million aav

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I don’t feel Draisitl deserves MacKinnon or Matthews money. To me he is not on their level. I’m thinking 8 x 12.5M is more than fair.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don’t feel Draisitl deserves MacKinnon or Matthews money. To me he is not on their level. I’m thinking 8 x 12.5M is more than fair.

Of course he is. Mr Nostrils (Matthews) has 48 points in 55 playoff games. Drai has 108 in 74. Of course they are on the same level.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
If it’s around 14-14.5 million it makes sense, even if you don’t think he’s as good as he is, he was on a bargain on his last contract, so he deserves a bit more this time.

He gets the most in the league before Mcdavid takes 15-16 next season

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
game-of-thrones-can-the-treasury-bear-such-expense.gif

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
As long as draisaitl and mcdavid are on the oilers they will be cup favourites irregardless of their cap hits.

Pay the man
Hopefully they all ask for the max amount so they could have less cap space to fill the roster. Nurse 9.5 mil, Bouchard 10 mil, Drai 15 mil and Mc D at 16 mil would be nice. 51 mil would be about 60% of the cap

Bouchard skated circles around non playoff player Hughes and overpaid Hronek
Non playoff Hughes went to playoffs and won a Norris. Try to make sense at least and he also went to playoffs in 2020

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
That dovetails with what I’m hearing.

I have a friend in the Ducks org that told me the club offered Zegras ++ for Drai last season. It’s probably known within NHL circles that Drai loves Los Angeles.

I really doubt an extension in Edmonton is a done deal.

Well Enjoy all those banners then. Lots of lite reading to do in the Oils barn. .

Just nothing that reads “champion” this century.

All of this aged so well, as expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad