Speculation: Leon Draisaitl maybe the highest paid NHL player

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You know what’s in my heart and mind forever?

Five cups buddy… Old enough to have witnessed them all and young enough that my kids are barely out of diapers.

Life is long, and I’ve been enjoying mine…. Maybe if you spent less time trolling you’d be enjoying yours a little more.

And yeah… since you probably have no frame of reference… the 2006 finals run and this year were nearly (only one game/ one goal short) as enjoyable as the wins… actually I’d probably rank 2006 first… what a TEAM that was!
The Oilers were a very accomplished team in the 1980s when Gretsky was gifted to the club. Nice of the NHL to gift the franchise the best player of all time without them even winning a lottery or earning that pick.

Since then… yeah. Congratulations on winning 2nd place a few times. Y’all host parades for those?

Last edited:

Apr 29, 2017
The Oilers were a very accomplished team in the 1980s when Gretsky was gifted to the club. Nice of the NHL to gift the franchise the best player of all time without them even winning a lottery or earning that pick.

Since then… yeah. Congratulations on winning 2nd place a few times. Y’all host parades for those?
You really need to hit those history books and learn to spell Gretzky while you’re at it. The Oilers weren’t even in the NHL when he joined the team. It would have been pretty hard for the NHL “to gift him” to the Oilers when they had nothing to do with the transaction.

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
You really need to hit those history books and learn to spell Gretzky while you’re at it. The Oilers weren’t even in the NHL when he joined the team. It would have been pretty hard for the NHL “to gift him” to the Oilers when they had nothing to do with the transaction.
The NHL did in fact GIFT Gretzky to the Oilers. Gretzky should have been eligible for the 79 expansion draft. Gretzky and Pocklinton sniveled. The NHL didn't want Colorado claiming Gretzky. So the NHL changed the rules and punished the Oilers by lowering their Draft position.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
There are Oilers fans out there that actually think he will take a discount. :laugh:
Players talk about taking a discount.

BlueDream: “LOL OILERS FANS.”

It’s like talking to 10 year olds sometimes.

Apr 29, 2017
The NHL did in fact GIFT Gretzky to the Oilers. Gretzky should have been eligible for the 79 expansion draft. Gretzky and Pocklinton sniveled. The NHL didn't want Colorado claiming Gretzky. So the NHL changed the rules and punished the Oilers by lowering their Draft position.
He was under a personal services contract to Pocklington, not under contract to the Oilers so it lay in a legal grey area.

Reactions: greatwhitenorth

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Players talk about taking a discount.

BlueDream: “LOL OILERS FANS.”

It’s like talking to 10 year olds sometimes.
Yep, it is the fans’ fault for believing them. You must have the mentality of a 10 year old if you still do.

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
He was under a personal services contract to Pocklington, not under contract to the Oilers so it lay in a legal grey area.
I see what your saying. But every WHA team could have done that to protect players. It wasn't really a valid reason. Imho Pocklington greased someone high up in the NHL. To let the Oilers keep Gretzky.

Reactions: lightstorm

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

aren't you an Avs fan? your entire fanbase is based on bandwagoning when your team was gifted with the Cup in their first year of existence lol
I see what your saying. But every WHA team could have done that to protect players. It wasn't really a valid reason. Imho Pocklington greased someone high up in the NHL. To let the Oilers keep Gretzky.

the NHL allowed the WHA to protect 2 players did they not?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
There are Oilers fans out there that actually think he will take a discount. :laugh:
People just have different ideas what a discount is, that is all. One could argue, that MacKinnon took a discount when he re-signed with Colorado to become the highest paid player in the league.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
What makes the most sense IMO is to frontload the first few years while he's still incredibly effective, and then get the AVV lower by lengthening the contract to 8yrs. For age context, Kucherov was 30 last year and won the Art Ross, while Panarin was 32 and Stamkos was 34. It's reasonable to expect a player of Draisaitl's caliber to be very effective in the first half of a long-term deal, and to pay him accordingly for it. It's less certain he will do that as he ages, so it's unlikely he can command that king of money now, for his leter years.

The following structure pays him the highest salary in the NHL for the first 4 years:
Year 1 (age 30) - 17.000
Year 2 (age 31) - 16.500
Year 3 (age 32) - 15.000
Year 4 (age 33) - 14.500
Year 5 (age 34) - 12.000
Year 6 (age 35) - 9.600
Year 7 (age 36) - 8.500
Year 8 (age 37) - 8.500
Total: 101.600
AVV: 12.700 AVV

I think it'll end up being something along these lines. It offers a fair balance of him getting paid top dollar (which the NHLPA wants), while also allowing for some cap flexibility for the team to keep the roster as competitive as possible (which the NHL wants). It also nets him the biggest contract since the NHL implemented the 8yr max rule, which is exactly what MacKinnon did when he last signed (and McDavd before him).

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
What makes the most sense IMO is to frontload the first few years while he's still incredibly effective, and then get the AVV lower by lengthening the contract to 8yrs. For age context, Kucherov was 30 last year and won the Art Ross, while Panarin was 32 and Stamkos was 34. It's reasonable to expect a player of Draisaitl's caliber to be very effective in the first half of a long-term deal, and to pay him accordingly for it. It's less certain he will do that as he ages, so it's unlikely he can command that king of money now, for his leter years.

The following structure pays him the highest salary in the NHL for the first 4 years:
Year 1 (age 30) - 17.000
Year 2 (age 31) - 16.500
Year 3 (age 32) - 15.000
Year 4 (age 33) - 14.500
Year 5 (age 34) - 12.000
Year 6 (age 35) - 9.600
Year 7 (age 36) - 8.500
Year 8 (age 37) - 8.500
Total: 101.600
AVV: 12.700 AVV

I think it'll end up being something along these lines. It offers a fair balance of him getting paid top dollar (which the NHLPA wants), while also allowing for some cap flexibility for the team to keep the roster as competitive as possible (which the NHL wants). It also nets him the biggest contract since the NHL implemented the 8yr max rule, which is exactly what MacKinnon did when he last signed (and McDavd before him).

He can probably get even more the first 4 years.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
In a perfect world I think many fans would love every player to take a team friendly deal. But at the same time, Leon has earned a big pay raise. lol

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
He can probably get even more the first 4 years.

McDavid's current contract was 15.72% of the cap back when it kicked in (18/19)
Matthews' new deal is 15.06% of the current cap

If we assume a 4% cap increase to 91.500, the first 4 years of the Draisaitl deal I proposed would be 17.21% of that year's cap. Overall (across the full 8yrs) it's 13.88%, but that's because he'll be 30 and not 'prime age' like his comps. The older years bring the average down, but the effective years are top-dollar.

I'm not sure his agent could reasonably expect more than that (in the first 4 years) but I guess we'll find out eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad