Speculation: Leon Draisaitl maybe the highest paid NHL player

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If I'm the Oilers I back up the brinks truck for Draisaitl and McDavid. However I don't for Bouchard. If he wants 10+ million they should move him. He's just not an all situations defenseman. Needs his Ekholm babysitter.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Mack only did that at the behest of the NHLPA. Notice how he took only 100K more than McDavid. It's because the union wants the top players to constantly push the salary ceiling.
People say this all the time but why would the NHLPA care?
The players as a whole get 50% of revenue regardless of what any individual player signs for.
If the top players "push the ceiling" all that does is leaves less for everyone else and it forces every player to pay into escrow.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Mack only did that at the behest of the NHLPA. Notice how he took only 100K more than McDavid. It's because the union wants the top players to constantly push the salary ceiling.
This makes no sense in a situation where the players as a whole share one pool of money.

edit: Larry Hanson beat me to it awhile ago.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Well I hope you're proudly sporting your 2nd place hat and matching T-shirt around Edmonton this weekend.

Congratulations on winning 2nd place.

That's an accomplishment right up there with the 2017 Nashville Predators and 2020 Dallas Stars. And who can ever forget the 2016 San Jose Sharks team that lost 4 games to 2 to some club... I think they are based in Pennsylvania somewhere. That team has this captain named Crosby or something like that. But who can remember them?

It's the 2016 Sharks team. Wow... Now that was a 2nd place team who lives on in our hearts and minds forever.

You know what’s in my heart and mind forever?

Five cups buddy… Old enough to have witnessed them all and young enough that my kids are barely out of diapers.

Life is long, and I’ve been enjoying mine…. Maybe if you spent less time trolling you’d be enjoying yours a little more.

And yeah… since you probably have no frame of reference… the 2006 finals run and this year were nearly (only one game/ one goal short) as enjoyable as the wins… actually I’d probably rank 2006 first… what a TEAM that was!

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
They better do something about that Nurse contract first. I mean, Bowman did screw up not managing the Hawks cap situation and he'll do it again with Edmonton.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Swayman must be brainwashed here. The CBA splits the dollars between players and owners clearly. Unless he only cares about his goalie peers and dont want money to go to the skaters.
You’d have a point if teams were forced to spend to the cap. Owners leave money on the table for the players, Swayman is just trying to be a rising tide. Employees > Ownership

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I dunno dude. At least the Oilers have had some modicum of playoff success each year.
I meant as far as having four players account for 40 something percent of the total cap.

They better do something about that Nurse contract first. I mean, Bowman did screw up not managing the Hawks cap situation and he'll do it again with Edmonton.
That contract is pretty much impossible to trade barring a massive overpayment. Arizona isn't around to take shitty contracts from people anymore.

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
Everything depend on Draisaitl wish.
Do he want to win NOW (in the next 2 years) or he can join a team like Columbus they have enough cap space and a plenty good young core

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
well ofcourse he will be

Its gonna be up to him to set the new high so then that starts a chain reaction for everyone to make more money all the way down to 13th forward and 7th dmen
Well he actually does the opposite for the players down the pecking order. He (and players of his caliber) will draw so much of the available cap space, that the 4th line forward and 6-7 dman will rarely earn more than league minimum. Where do the cap savings come from? (not that he doesn't deserve it, just in this instance a rising tide sinks some ships).

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I meant as far as having four players account for 40 something percent of the total cap.

That contract is pretty much impossible to trade barring a massive overpayment. Arizona isn't around to take shitty contracts from people anymore.
Even if Bowman could find a taker, Nurse has another two full years of full No Movement protection. They're stuck with him for those two years at least, and the following year, there will be only 10 teams they could trade him to. The odds of one of those 10 teams being willing to take Nurse are minimal.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
LOL. NY is a tough physical team now? They laid down like doormats for the Cats, scared to take contact. Maybe compared to the Leafs they look tough though, but so does a kitten.
IMG_2360.jpeg

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
You’d have a point if teams were forced to spend to the cap. Owners leave money on the table for the players, Swayman is just trying to be a rising tide. Employees > Ownership
That's not how it works. Every team could spend to the cap floor and the players would get the exact same total dollars, 50% of revenues.
The cap is based on the mid point between the cap floor and ceiling, any amount more or less is adjusted via escrow.

Reactions: AT14C and Erep

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That's not how it works. Every team could spend to the cap floor and the players would get the exact same total dollars, 50% of revenues.
The cap is based on the mid point between the cap floor and ceiling, any amount more or less is adjusted via escrow.
Yes, but I think what the PA is doing in these situations is more related to future CBA negotiations. If enough teams have a hard time fitting in under the cap ceiling, it gives them a small amount of leverage for negotiating a larger slice next time around. If the teams GM's aren't able to make it work with what they are given (or it can be argued as such), it's a good thing for the players next time negotiations come about. There is more at play than the current CBA.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Yes, but I think what the PA is doing in these situations is more related to future CBA negotiations. If enough teams have a hard time fitting in under the cap ceiling, it gives them a small amount of leverage for negotiating a larger slice next time around. If the teams GM's aren't able to make it work with what they are given (or it can be argued as such), it's a good thing for the players next time negotiations come about. There is more at play than the current CBA.
But it really doesn't matter. The cap is just a number that serves as a guideline for how a team balances it's contracts, it doesn't represent real dollars. If the cap was 100 million right now the same teams would be capped out and the same teams would be at the cap floor because teams and players treat signings as a percentage of the cap. Again, it's not real dollars, real dollars are determined after escrow is applied, a higher cap means higher escrow.

Example: (these are made up numbers, assumes every team is capped out) Say the cap is 80million and the players get 70 million, every player gets docked 12.5% of their paycheck. If the NHLPA insists that the cap be 100 million then the players still get 70 million so every player gets 30% of their paycheck docked.

The players and owners split revenues 50/50, that isn't changing without another work stoppage.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
But it really doesn't matter. The cap is just a number that serves as a guideline for how a team balances it's contracts, it doesn't represent real dollars. If the cap was 100 million right now the same teams would be capped out and the same teams would be at the cap floor because teams and players treat signings as a percentage of the cap. Again, it's not real dollars, real dollars are determined after escrow is applied, a higher cap means higher escrow.

Example: (these are made up numbers, assumes every team is capped out) Say the cap is 80million and the players get 70 million, every player gets docked 12.5% of their paycheck. If the NHLPA insists that the cap be 100 million then the players still get 70 million so every player gets 30% of their paycheck docked.

The players and owners split revenues 50/50, that isn't changing without another work stoppage.
The CBA has an expiry date. They will negotiate a new one, or there will be a work stoppage. That's how unionized industries work. I anticipate that you are correct, the owners wont want to fiddle with anything, they are making bank right now for sure. Depends on if the PA feels the players aren't getting their fair piece of the pie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad