Speculation: Leon Draisaitl maybe the highest paid NHL player

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If the cap is 98M.....

You should have 42M on D/G and 56M on F.

If 30M goes to 2 players and 7 avg $1M 4 split up 19M

If 2 on D get 21. 3 get total of $6M, SG gets $5M. Other 3D split 10M

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Drai and McDavid will both get huge contracts and deservedly so. I don’t think either one of them will leave significantly more money on the table than any of the other star players. The whole ‘take less to win’ is mostly just PR. As it will be with Bouchard as well.

Reactions: KingBogo

beardo

Jan 29, 2024
Bouchard has the most points by defenceman last 2 playoffs set a record for assists by a man in playoffs this past season these types of posts are hilarious, His defense metrics have been great. Try harder
You know there’s a salary cap right? You surely know how addition works.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I’ve always been a bit surprised that Oilers fans thought Draisaitl re-signing was a given, ESPECIALLY the fans/media that were expecting him to take a discount.

Like, legitimately the only valid reason they have over any other organization in the NHL is that they have McDavid. And he has 1 year remaining after this season, there is no guarantee he wants to re-sign.

I’m not surprised he is (allegedly) asking for 14M at a minimum. Edmonton is not a premier city/organization no matter how much their fans and media parrot it. Making the cup finals was a fluke.

I’ll probably get painted as a Flames fan hater, and sure. I am. But that doesn’t change the fact that it’s nearly training camp and neither side seems close on a deal.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Drai and McDavid will both get huge contracts and deservedly so. I don’t think either one of them will leave significantly more money on the table than any of the other star players. The whole ‘take less to win’ is mostly just PR. As it will be with Bouchard as well.
without the backdiving 12 year contracts that would pay the guys peanuts in their late 30s its a pretty ridiculous ask to "leave money on the table"

I think all you can hope for is a fair deal negotiated in good faith from both sides

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I’ve always been a bit surprised that Oilers fans thought Draisaitl re-signing was a given, ESPECIALLY the fans/media that were expecting him to take a discount.

Like, legitimately the only valid reason they have over any other organization in the NHL is that they have McDavid. And he has 1 year remaining after this season, there is no guarantee he wants to re-sign.

I’m not surprised he is (allegedly) asking for 14M at a minimum. Edmonton is not a premier city/organization no matter how much their fans and media parrot it. Making the cup finals was a fluke.

I’ll probably get painted as a Flames fan hater, and sure. I am. But that doesn’t change the fact that it’s nearly training camp and neither side seems close on a deal.
You raise some solid points its too bad you have to litter your post with nonsense like "making the finals was a fluke"

I'm more surprised that everyone wanted so badly to get out of Calgary, I live in Edmonton and Calgary is by far a nicer city than here. Maybe its less about the city and more about the team.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He absolutely deserves to be the highest paid player in the league with his extension. It’ll last all of one year.

If he comes to the table demanding anything less than “make me the highest paid player in the NHL”, his agent should be fired. It has nothing to do with the city of Edmonton or him liking or not liking his current situation. This is simple pro sports economics. He’d get the top AAV contract from any team in the league.

PenderB

Jun 9, 2019
Sure but Bouchards were almost entirely useless and came off the backs of the other two.
I give credit when it's due and Mcdrai are insanely good, Bouchard and his 10 million future cap hit along with Nurse will stifle the oilers from ever winning it all
As a Canuck fan I can say that Bouchard was amazing in the series and the biggest reason they won was he outplayed Hughes

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Swayman put it best when he said taking less, lessons the bag for the next goalie up.
It's one thing to take a discount when you're 35 and it won't be used as a comparable but an entirely different animal when signing your biggest contract. Especially one that sets the bar after a reset due to the end of the flat cap.

Add in the fact that Nurse is likely the worst contract in hockey and is the reason things are so complicated.

Ironically, if Swayman is thinking of the greater good of his other goalies, he should take less.

The players as a collective get the same amount of money regardless of how it is distributed amongst the individual players. They get 50 percent of HRR.

Not only that, Swayman taking a higher salary as a star ensures there is less money available for secondary or tertiary players. Swayman at 8M instead of 10M might mean that another star goalie who is a tier below him get 6.5M instead of 8M, but that 2M that Swayman left on the table and 1.5M that the other goalie left on the table are very likely to get distributed to other players. Based on the number of players who aren't superstars and don't make big money, if we're purely speaking altruistically, Swayman would be doing the best thing for other players by taking less because it would increase the odds that the difference between his ask and the Bruins offer would be redistributed to a player who otherwise may have a much smaller window of opportunity than Swayman to earn their money.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Guesstimating $13.5m will be 15% of next year's salary cap of say $92m. That percentage is a really close to the edge of what cap era players should make if they want to be on a competitive team. IIRC Crosby signed for around 15% on his big UFA contract.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
No thats what a majority of edm fans saif about broberg and holloway. Drais shoukd take team deal for the cup right
No ones that salty, Broberg isnt anywhere near worth 4 million, Holloway only worth what he got. No one is salty or said any gullible bullshit you keep on believing. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: dukeofjive

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
I think at this point Drai is likely walking next summer.

He will want to get paid and want to go to a contender. Edmonton can't afford him, and I believe he gave them a deadline of Aug 31 to sign him.

The clock is ticking...

• Haha
Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I wonder how much drai and McDavid have these conversations between themselves. They gotta be talking.

For ex maybe if drai knows 100% McDavid resigns, then he takes less to help team. But if McDavid doesn't sign or doesn't know yet, then maybe drai looks out for himself and gets max salary. They gotta know where eachother are at
Of course they are having discussions about it. These guys are mid to late 20s right now and currently making insane cash and soon to be making even more money. You know at that age they are talking about their up coming pay days and trying to figure out their plan.

Him and McDavid will split about 30 mill between the 2 of them.. 14ish for Drai and then 16ish for McDavid on 8 year deals

Reactions: HabzSauce

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
As long as draisaitl and mcdavid are on the oilers they will be cup favourites irregardless of their cap hits.

Pay the man

Favourites or contenders? The latter yes, the former no. I give them credit for following the Leafs' pathway to success. Takes a lot of guts.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Sure but Bouchards were almost entirely useless and came off the backs of the other two.
I give credit when it's due and Mcdrai are insanely good, Bouchard and his 10 million future cap hit along with Nurse will stifle the oilers from ever winning it all
Bouchard had like a ton of game winning points…

I’m not a huge fan of him, but this just screams you didn’t watch a second of the postseason

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
No surprise. Then McDavid beats him the following season. Elite player.

Just sucks for Edmonton that Nurse had that outlier year on the last year of his previous contract. Without that deal, they would be sitting pretty even with potentially the #1 & 2 contracts in the league.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Wrong again Florida dude

View attachment 903759
Yes. Yes yes. Winners of 2nd place. Congratulations on winning 2nd place.

I was there when Edmonton got to win 2nd place. It was just odd because the Oilers never even skated around the ice celebrating like the Panthers did when Florida won first place.

Last edited:

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I think he signs somewhere else and in the end it benefits the Oilers who are able to use his cap hit to create some depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad