Speculation: Leafs potentially looking to add a player with term at the deadline

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
To me, Alex Pietrangelo stands out -- a player that the Blues may not want to give his next contract to.

Trade Nylander + a 1st for Pietrangelo at $2m retained. Include something like a 2020 3rd that becomes a 2nd if the Leafs make the finals this year.

The short term hit to St. Louis is hard, bringing in Nylander at essentially $9m next year, but after that season, they'll be left with a 24 year old Nylander at $7m with 4 years left on his deal, a 1st round pick, and not having to give Pietrangelo a questionable long term deal.

From Toronto's POV, Pietrangelo gives them a really solid shot at the cup over the next 2 years, and the $2.5m in savings from Nylander to him buys them the flexibility they need for next year.

They could trade for Pietrangelo without giving up Nylander.

Not to mention I doubt they’d be interested until they see how he looks post injury.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Petro would cost the Leafs a LOT. You think they're ready to make that splash? Hint: you're not getting him for Kapannen and a 2nd.

If he IS traded it’s likely going to go for a package of picks and prospects like the other Vet D men traded the past few years returned.

Given his health issues I doubt he’d return more than EK did - who is also a better player too

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Again, he's not top 10 in D scoring. And he's shooting at an unsustainable rate. Do you honestly believe he's going to finish the season with 60 points?

You're trying to sell high on him, and it's quite transparent.

Well that's three chances gone to explain what you meant about Horton's contract. All bluff and bluster. No substance.

From Mirtle:

Source

Leafs prospect pool is full of grade B hopefuls because we developed almost all of our top-end players instead of rushing or trading them. Novel concept to a Habs fan, I know.

Thanks for the good luck. Same to you.

As of the December break, Petry is top 10 in D scoring. And while he's shooting at an unsustainable rate, so are most top-10 scorers in the top 10. His general production isn't exactly unsustainable though (IPP, oiSH%, etc.), especially relative to other top D-men. Like, I don't think he'll finish the season with 60 points, but I also don't think most of the other top D-men will finish the season with 60+ points. And his numbers aren't crazy driven by luck/elite teammates like a Rielly or a Carlson.

Montreal isn't going to trade Petry to Toronto for a number of reasons, but singling out Petry's production as unsustainable doesn't make much sense.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Justin Faulk come on down, You're the next addition to the Leafs blue line

Justin Faulk is a much better fit for Tampa. They have the NHL forwards and NHL ready forward prospects that the Canes need. I’d take Katchouk or Raddysh over just about anyone Toronto would offer.

Randall

Jul 8, 2017
Why aren’t we talking more about Duncan Keith? He is cap friendly, under control and would fit nicely as a #2 or #3.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Justin Faulk is a much better fit for Tampa. They have the NHL forwards and NHL ready forward prospects that the Canes need. I’d take Katchouk or Raddysh over just about anyone Toronto would offer.
Did you not follow the MacDonagh or Karlsson to Tampa threads? That team is the stingiest there is when it comes to trading good young pieces.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If he IS traded it’s likely going to go for a package of picks and prospects like the other Vet D men traded the past few years returned.

Given his health issues I doubt he’d return more than EK did - who is also a better player too

Health issues? Hes had one injury and the lowest total games played before this is 73?

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Unless you want to give Marner, no, it’s not possible

Look at the EK deal and other big name deals lately. You’re going to get picks and prospects, not marquee roster players.

It all comes down to whether the blues want to rebuild or not. If they do then it’s picks and prospects. If not then he won’t be traded.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Look at the EK deal and other big name deals lately. You’re going to get picks and prospects, not marquee roster players.

It all comes down to whether the blues want to rebuild or not. If they do then it’s picks and prospects. If not then he won’t be traded.

I’m not sure where you’re getting this? They got Chris Tierny, a 23 years old C who had a 40 points season prior to the trade as well as a 20 points #5 RHD. Isn’t that a good, young roster player as well as a good young depth player ? They also got a first, second round pick as well as their latest 1st round pick.

All in all, they got:

- A 23 years old 40 points C
- A 25 years old 20 points # 5 RHD
- A 1st round pick
- A 2nd round pick
- 2017 #19 overall (Solid C prospect)

If you want to put together a similar package to what Karlsson got for Pietrangelo without giving up Nylander (and that is if St-Louis settles on a package rather than a hockey trade), you’re looking at:

- Kasperi Kapanen
- Travis Dermott
- 2019 1st
- 2019 2nd
- Rasmus Sandin

Are you ready to offer that kind of package for Pietrangelo?

P.S : I valued Tierny > Kapanen | SJ 1st, 2nd, Demalo < Toronto 1st, 2nd, Dermott and Sandin = Jooris in term of value.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
I’m not sure where you’re getting this? They got Chris Tierny, a 23 years old C who had a 40 points season prior to the trade as well as a 20 points #5 RHD. Isn’t that a good, young roster player as well as a good young depth player ? They also got a first, second round pick as well as their latest 1st round pick.

All in all, they got:

- A 1st round pick
- A 2nd round pick

If you want to put together a similar package to what Karlsson got for Pietrangelo without giving up Nylander (and that is if St-Louis settles on a package rather than a hockey trade), you’re looking at:

- Kasperi Kapanen
- Travis Dermott
- 2019 1st
- 2019 2nd
- Rasmus Sandin

P.S : I valued Tierny > Kapanen | SJ 1st, 2nd, Demalo < Toronto 1st, 2nd, Dermott and Sandin = Jooris in term of value

The bolded tells me you would make a terrible gm. If ottawa was offered the Toronto package they would have taken that, all while being in the same division

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Dont want AP.

Coming off surgery, needing a new contract that will be expensive, giving up kids we want to use in the coming years on their ELC's.

No thanks. Let someone else make that move.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

All in all, they got:

- A 1st round pick
- A 2nd round pick

- Kasperi Kapanen
- Travis Dermott
- 2019 1st
- 2019 2nd
- Rasmus Sandin

P.S : I valued Tierny > Kapanen | SJ 1st, 2nd, Demalo < Toronto 1st, 2nd, Dermott and Sandin = Jooris in term of value.
No No No.The Leafs won't offer that. They expect to get him for Brown ,One of Bracco/Johnsson and a 2nd+3rd rd pick.
Hell Nylander only has 2 pts in 9 games and they won't even add him in any proposal.

Reactions: Baksfamous112

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The bolded tells me you would make a terrible gm. If ottawa was offered the Toronto package they would have taken that, all while being in the same division

You don’t know that. Tierny is on pace for 50 points, Demalo is having a good season and Jooris is progressing well. The 1st/2nd of SJ are probably going to be higher than Toronto’s.

Imo both package has around the same value and with their current contracts and the fact that Karlsson wasn’t going to resign, I believe Pietrangelo has the same value right now as Karlsson had this summer.

So, if you don’t want to make a hockey trade and give up a high end asset 1v1 for Pietrangelo, expect this kind of package to be (rightfully) asked and given (by either Toronto or someone else)

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Let's focus on the nhl players. Since the picks are a wash. Prospects, who knows. And since we're basing this on the leafs players of this season.

Kap is on pace for more goals and points. Hes also 2 years younger with more upside and plays the PK. Only downside. Not a centre.

Dermott is also on pace for more points than DeMelo. Hes also 3 years younger.

So if just points and production is what you value, I would bet that most fans would take the two leaf players 7 days a week over who the sens got.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015

All in all, they got:

- A 1st round pick
- A 2nd round pick

- Kasperi Kapanen
- Travis Dermott
- 2019 1st
- 2019 2nd
- Rasmus Sandin

Wtf. That Leafs’ package is miles better than the package Ottawa got. Get out of here with this drivel.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Leafs should be all in to win the cup this year, that said they shouldn't do anything crazy, players such as Liljegren and Sandin who are two 1st round pick defenders in the system should be untouchables, the two of them looked great as a paring in pre season and if the Leafs don't win the cup this season that doesn't mean they aren't going to be a quality contender for years and years to come. They're going to need these great young and cheap players to continually come up from the system, that's how you win in this league, not by trading them away.

Also Kapanen should be going nowhere, the guy is turning into a beast. What a great return that was for Kessel.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
No No No.The Leafs won't offer that. They expect to get him for Brown ,One of Bracco/Johnsson and a 2nd+3rd rd pick.
Hell Nylander only has 2 pts in 9 games and they won't even add him in any proposal.
Says who? THis leafs fan has been saying for a few weeks I’d do Nylander, lilljgren and a 1st for a re-signed AP. Only if they could somehow fit him under the cap. He would be an amazing pick up and would put the leafs that much closer to a cup. But I think Tampa has the better all around team. Luckily anything could happen in a 7 game series.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Wtf. That Leafs’ package is miles better than the package Ottawa got. Get out of here with this drivel.

It's crazy. People talking about Marner or Nylander++++ or Kappy and Dermott++++ are also crazy. Any of these players are better than what SJS gave up for EK, and it really is not that close.

All I see is people wanting the Leafs to gut the team, when in reality they would not need to if you look at other trades that have happened as of late... silly.

We keep our players, trade only if we HAVE to (as nobody knows what any of our players will cost) keep drafting well, developing well, and reinforcements will be here soon. Hell we had Moore up last night on the 4th line, and he looks solid... I am not at all worried about our future lol

I love the HF logic

Our players are only great before we sign them or trade them. Once a trade may happen, we need to include them all.

The package to get AP would be a lot less than posters on here think.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Sandin
Kapanen
1st round pick(28-32)

For

Petry
Hudon
2nd(CBJ)

I don't think this would ever happen. I just think Kappy and Sandin have too much upside. I don't dislike the other Hab players, but this deal couldn't ever happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad