Speculation: Leafs potentially looking to add a player with term at the deadline

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Taken from the Athletic interview with Dubas, just taking a few relevant parts to abide by the site riles

Q: Your fan base is excited about this season, the chance to win, and the years beyond as well, which gets me to this question: you have a lot of flexibility at this year’s trade deadline, really to do whatever you want, and yet you also know what lies ahead in the years to come (cap-wise). I suppose the easiest thing would be to go get a rental player, although you kind of hate giving away assets for a guy who won’t be around after this year?

Relevent part of answer:

source LeBrun: Q&A with Kyle Dubas on the Nylander negotiations,...

Then consider his answer here

Reading between the lines, it looks like they are hoping to at least have an idea of what their RFA's will cost and the salary cap, and are not impressed with the rental market. Seems like they want to add a player to the team who play after this season by the deadline.

Personal speculation but this but this whole scenario essentially sounds a lot like Pietrangelo.. A guy who can move the puck with more term than just being a rental. Either way he can be talking about a ton of different guys.

So he's asking Matthews and Marner to sign on the dotted line before the trade deadline "with a hair cut" so they know how much they have to spend. Nice. Guess he's hoping for Matthews at $10 million and Marner at $7 ?

They should test the market on July 1st.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I'm also trading a top 10 NHL defenseman in the current pts of production for pieces that are not proven. I don't care if you disagree about the price to acquire. If you don't like it, it's all good. Go try to steal some other teams top 4D who is playing very well and is a RD. It's very likely Bergevin ask for more than what I am asking for. He did end up getting more than what I ask for with Patch so go figure. ;)

Good luck with trying to improve your D using a bag of pucks. Your not getting Petry as a pending UFA price. Nice try

Petry for 3 unproven futures is not a bad offer. Were not talking about top 10 picks here man. Plus it unloads the Horton contract. And yes, it's more complicated than you understand or are willing to admit. You need reminders.

Leafs prospect pool is full of grade B hopefuls. Yeah, good luck with that.
That's all you want?? Fine 2nd+3rd+3rd....3 unproven futures.:D

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
So he's asking Matthews and Marner to sign on the dotted line before the trade deadline "with a hair cut" so they know how much they have to spend. Nice. Guess he's hoping for Matthews at $10 million and Marner at $7 ?

They should test the market on July 1st.
I just read the post you quoted....twice. Where are you getting the "with a haircut"? It just says he wants to know what they will cost so he knows what they have to work with.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
guys. every leaf prospect is bluechip and has elite potential. how can you forgot? :laugh:
Yes....because we don't want to trade the only 2 solid ELC defense prospects we have...an area of need.....for a team tight to the cap.....that clearly suggests the nonsense you're spouting. Well done.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yes....because we don't want to trade the only 2 solid ELC defense prospects we have...an area of need.....for a team tight to the cap.....that clearly suggests the nonsense you're spouting. Well done.

Yes, why give up solid ELC defense prospects when you can trade crap in copious quantities?

Reactions: Snowman and sens13

sens13

Mar 16, 2017

not saying anything about trading them. I'm just saying it's funny how you think all your prospects are bluechipper.

P.S. nobody want's your garbage for their good players.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I'm also trading a top 10 NHL defenseman in the current pts of production for pieces that are not proven. I don't care if you disagree about the price to acquire. If you don't like it, it's all good. Go try to steal some other teams top 4D who is playing very well and is a RD. It's very likely Bergevin ask for more than what I am asking for. He did end up getting more than what I ask for with Patch so go figure. ;)

Good luck with trying to improve your D using a bag of pucks. Your not getting Petry as a pending UFA price. Nice try

Petry for 3 unproven futures is not a bad offer. Were not talking about top 10 picks here man. Plus it unloads the Horton contract. And yes, it's more complicated than you understand or are willing to admit. You need reminders.

Leafs prospect pool is full of grade B hopefuls. Yeah, good luck with that.

Again, he's not top 10 in D scoring. And he's shooting at an unsustainable rate. Do you honestly believe he's going to finish the season with 60 points?

You're trying to sell high on him, and it's quite transparent.

Well that's three chances gone to explain what you meant about Horton's contract. All bluff and bluster. No substance.

From Mirtle:
10. Any chance the Leafs can get rid of Nathan Horton’s contract or do they simply allow it to expire?
It would be difficult. The contract isn’t like, say, Chris Pronger’s, where the final years of the deal were basically no salary. An acquiring team would have to pay Horton $3.6-million in real money next season. So the Leafs would have to give up something decent to get a team to do that.
The good news? The Leafs can just throw Horton on LTIR next year and get out from under the full cap hit. With Marner and Matthews leaving their entry-level deals, Toronto is not going to have a lot of performance bonuses to worry about, so having an overage is far less of a concern than this season.
Source

Leafs prospect pool is full of grade B hopefuls because we developed almost all of our top-end players instead of rushing or trading them. Novel concept to a Habs fan, I know.

Thanks for the good luck. Same to you.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Again, he's not top 10 in D scoring. And he's shooting at an unsustainable rate. Do you honestly believe he's going to finish the season with 60 points?

Well that's three chances gone to explain what you meant about Horton's contract. All bluff and bluster. No substance.

From Mirtle:

Source

Leafs prospect pool is full of grade B hopefuls because we developed almost all of our top-end players instead of rushing or trading them. Novel concept to a Habs fan, I know.

Probably not 60 points. 50 something... more likely.

What's your point?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
not saying anything about trading them. I'm just saying it's funny how you think all your prospects are bluechipper.

P.S. nobody want's your garbage for their good players.
Me? Where did i call any of our prospects bluechippers? All i've said is that ELCs are going to be very important in the near future for Toronto....so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense trading 1 or more of your future ELCs for an older player. I mean EVERY non-Leafs poster on here is saying how bad our cap problem will be next season....why trade youth?

Reactions: matrixtrippin

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Just imagine if Weber was 10 years younger with 4.5M AAV and he was still in Nashville and they would trade him for Nylander. Shame.
He would return a lot more than just Nylander. 22 yo Weber?? God damn, he would be s beast and one of the best pieces for a rebuild

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
Me? Where did i call any of our prospects bluechippers? All i've said is that ELCs are going to be very important in the near future for Toronto....so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense trading 1 or more of your future ELCs for an older player. I mean EVERY non-Leafs poster on here is saying how bad our cap problem will be next season....why trade youth?

sorry meant to say in general that's how most leaf fans evaluate them.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

From Mirtle:

Source

God dam i wish i could like posts right now....because i like this one.:thumbu:

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Playoff team looking to strengthen for playoffs...

What a time to be alive

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Romanov?? A KHL player with zero points in 28 games? great comparison. As far as Brook...tough to tell until he plays in a mens league....looks good in the WHL though.
An 18 yo Dman playing solid minutes in the KHL is unheard of. Why u just looking at points? Scoring in the K as a young rookie is almost impossible

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
I just read the post you quoted....twice. Where are you getting the "with a haircut"? It just says he wants to know what they will cost so he knows what they have to work with.

so do you think a "haircut" means bringing back the no facial hair rule?

to me a haircut means taking less money to try and keep the team together.

it could be him attempting to acquire a decent defenceman with some term.

and hoping that Matthews gets offer sheeted or tests the market

you have enough offense.

you will never have a capable defence if you try and keep them all

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
so do you think a "haircut" means bringing back the no facial hair rule?

to me a haircut means taking less money to try and keep the team together.

it could be him attempting to acquire a decent defenceman with some term.

and hoping that Matthews gets offer sheeted or tests the market

you have enough offense.

you will never have a capable defence if you try and keep them all
I'm just wondering where you read haircut...i'm traveling so i didn't click the link, if it's in there then i get it.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
In the offensive zone....ya.

Which is where they’ll spend the majority of their time because they’re capable of getting out of the defensive zone with the puck.

It doesn’t matter how effective a shutdown defenseman is. If his only moves with the puck are turning it over or icing it then he’s accomplished absolutely nothing.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
How about Stecher a mobile RHD as a base for Kapanen? Not sure what the add would be but Canucks can't add picks for this coming draft for sure. Is there any interest in Stecher first of all??

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Which is where they’ll spend the majority of their time because they’re capable of getting out of the defensive zone with the puck.

It doesn’t matter how effective a shutdown defenseman is. If his only moves with the puck are turning it over or icing it then he’s accomplished absolutely nothing.
Get out of the zone with the puck may not be an issue....but actually gaining control of it while in the D zone.....that's another discussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad