Speculation: Leafs potentially looking to add a player with term at the deadline

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Sandin / Liljegren are bluechippers??? lol

Does that make Josh Brook and Alex Romanov blue chippers too?

Regarding Petry, i am curious what Leaf fans think would be fair value if they are not willing to give up said bluechippers.
Not anything Habs fans would like.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Karl Alzner is your man. PRobably the most experienced defensive dman in the league cuz he NEVER leaves the D-zone - he can't because the puck is always in our zone when he's on the ice..
Bergevin can deal with his own screw up....we already have to deal with ours (Zaitsev).

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Sandin / Liljegren are bluechippers??? lol

Does that make Josh Brook and Alex Romanov blue chippers too?

Regarding Petry, i am curious what Leaf fans think would be fair value if they are not willing to give up said bluechippers.
Romanov?? A KHL player with zero points in 28 games? great comparison. As far as Brook...tough to tell until he plays in a mens league....looks good in the WHL though.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
A modern DFD. Good at clearing the crease, skating and first pass. Doesnt need to run a PP or anything like that.
So a RH Brodin type? Seems like most Dmen who can really skate tend to be offensive dmen, though. I think that being smart is an underrated part of being a good defender.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
In the real world...they probably can, but in HF fantasy land where folks think it's 1st+Sandin+? Then no, probably not.

There is a difference between real-world and dream world. If you think it would take less than Sandin + Leafs late 1st (to a division rival), then you are indeed dreaming.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
There is a difference between real-world and dream world. If you think it would take less than Sandin + Leafs late 1st (to a division rival), then you are indeed dreaming.
Excellent. I will continue to dream then. One would think that as a Habs fan, you'd understand why trading away young D that you drafted isn't a good idea. You guys traded both Subban and Serg, and while Weber may be good, i think both those deals will haunt you.

As i said before, the future of the Leafs depends on youth/ELCs and drafting. You don't trade years of control on Sandin+a 1st for a guy like Petry.

Reactions: Tripod

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I love responses like this when someone disagrees with people. I hope you get the value you expect for Petry....just not from Toronto.

I don't expect the Habs to contemplate even trading Petry. Why trade him? He's got term left on his contract, is in his prime, and playing at a very high level. The time to trade him is when he exits his prime and is in a contract year...

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Connor Murphy? He's played well since coming back from injury. His contract is for 3 more years at 3.85 and he fits the age group of the Leafs. This might be more of an off-season move though.

I don't even know who that is but the Leafs simply can't afford to commit that salary to anyone who is not a high end 2nd pairing D at least. If he would be on our bottom pair here it's a no go.

Quick glance at his stats he doesn't look like an upgrade on anything we already have.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Babs just needs to put 2 of Rielly/Jake/Dermott together as a top pair and play them legit top pair minutes. Figure out which one fits best on the right side and then go from there. Those 3 are clearly his best dmen.

One of Hainsey/Zaitsev/Ozzy as the #4 dman and the other 2 as the 3rd pair is more than fine for their level of play.
Hainsey-Ozighanov works just fine for a 3rd-pairing that should only see ~15 minutes a night.

Babcock is a complete idiot for keeping Hainsey on the top pairing.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Hainsey-Ozighanov works just fine for a 3rd-pairing that should only see ~15 minutes a night.

Babcock is a complete idiot for keeping Hainsey on the top pairing.

I also wonder if Ozzy doesn't deserve to move up past Zaitsev - to my eye, he's more composed with the puck.

but yeah Hainsey has been on a steady decline. He's still probably a fine #4/5 guy but he just can't handle the kind of usage babs gives him anymore.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I also wonder if Ozzy doesn't deserve to move up past Zaitsev - to my eye, he's more composed with the puck.

but yeah Hainsey has been on a steady decline. He's still probably a fine #4/5 guy but he just can't handle the kind of usage babs gives him anymore.
At this juncture - Hainsey averaging over 2 minutes more of ice-time than Dermott is just pure stupidity. When you actually look at their play on-ice, Dermott is so much better it's not even funny.

I wouldn't mind a pairing of Hainsey-Zaitsev for a bottom pair for limited minutes but lots of PK time. Leave the ES minutes for the guys who actually know how to move the puck.

Reactions: Eb

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Connor Murphy
Radko Gudas
Alec Martinez
Jake Muzzin
Brett Pesce

Should all be targets to varying degrees that have at least another year left on their deals at a cap hit that digestible that would really help solidify the D group.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
- The Horton uninsured contract and using LTIR before the season starts. Yes, I have looked into it. There are reasons why the Blackhawks unloaded the Hossa contract.

- The 1st's you are talking about are late first.

- Yes, I want 3 solid futures pieces for Petry and his 3 years in term left. Remember, that package was not asking for any proven pieces. Petry is top 10 in NHL defenseman scoring didn't you notice.

- Everybody wants Sandin cause he's the only piece that fits the Habs needs. If you had a better prospect pool, Maybe I ask for a better talent? ;)

All you've done is repeat your Hossa point without going into it. What exactly is it that the rest of us don't know? Prove what you know.

You're trading a guy with 3 years left on his contract (his 31, 32 & 33-aged years, might I add). You're not trading him 3 times.

Perhaps you don't realize that insulting the Leafs for not having a "better prospect pool" is actually complimenting them for being a good team that develops their prospects well. So thanks!

Sandin fits a lot of teams' needs, including the Leafs. I'm sure we'll lose lots of sleep over losing out on Jeff Petry. :lol:

Reactions: Eb

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
All you've done is repeat your Hossa point without going into it. What exactly is it that the rest of us don't know? Prove what you know.

You're trading a guy with 3 years left on his contract (his 31, 32 & 33-aged years, might I add). You're not trading him 3 times.

Perhaps you don't realize that insulting the Leafs for not having a "better prospect pool" is actually complimenting them for being a good team that develops their prospects well. So thanks!

Sandin fits a lot of teams' needs, including the Leafs. I'm sure we'll lose lots of sleep over losing out on Jeff Petry. :lol:

I'm also trading a top 10 NHL defenseman in the current pts of production for pieces that are not proven. I don't care if you disagree about the price to acquire. If you don't like it, it's all good. Go try to steal some other teams top 4D who is playing very well and is a RD. It's very likely Bergevin ask for more than what I am asking for. He did end up getting more than what I ask for with Patch so go figure. ;)

Good luck with trying to improve your D using a bag of pucks. Your not getting Petry as a pending UFA price. Nice try

Petry for 3 unproven futures is not a bad offer. Were not talking about top 10 picks here man. Plus it unloads the Horton contract. And yes, it's more complicated than you understand or are willing to admit. You need reminders.

Leafs prospect pool is full of grade B hopefuls. Yeah, good luck with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad