Speculation: Leafs potentially looking to add a player with term at the deadline

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Taken from the Athletic interview with Dubas, just taking a few relevant parts to abide by the site riles

Q: Your fan base is excited about this season, the chance to win, and the years beyond as well, which gets me to this question: you have a lot of flexibility at this year’s trade deadline, really to do whatever you want, and yet you also know what lies ahead in the years to come (cap-wise). I suppose the easiest thing would be to go get a rental player, although you kind of hate giving away assets for a guy who won’t be around after this year?

Relevent part of answer:

source LeBrun: Q&A with Kyle Dubas on the Nylander negotiations,...

Then consider his answer here

Reading between the lines, it looks like they are hoping to at least have an idea of what their RFA's will cost and the salary cap, and are not impressed with the rental market. Seems like they want to add a player to the team who play after this season by the deadline.

Personal speculation but this but this whole scenario essentially sounds a lot like Pietrangelo.. A guy who can move the puck with more term than just being a rental. Either way he can be talking about a ton of different guys.

Petro would cost the Leafs a LOT. You think they're ready to make that splash? Hint: you're not getting him for Kapannen and a 2nd.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Why would we want a cap dump when we are already struggling to fit things in? Plus he is a LD. he wouldn't he crack the Marlies top pair.
The Habs have a lot of capspace. I can see the Leafs wanting to send probably Marleau and Nathan Horton's rights to the Habs with some picks. The Habs get rid of Alzner. The Leafs save about 3 mil./year of capspace and have an open spot to put players on IR. The Habs buy out both players.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Petro would cost the Leafs a LOT. You think they're ready to make that splash? Hint: you're not getting him for Kapannen and a 2nd.

Well he is having an off year and has a year and a half on his deal so it won't be like you are paying for his max value. St. Louis is also having a down year and might be looking to shake things up. Who knows.

But look at what Karlsson returned, look at what Mcdonagh returned. Chances are, the package WILL be something like Kapanen + + rather than a Marner 1 for 1. The league has shown us this. Kapanen is probably the best piece in either the Karlsson or McDonagh deals. He's young with tons of RFA left and doing all this with no PP time.

I think that I am more in reality than those who say he will return the moon.

Reactions: Menzinger

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
The Habs have a lot of capspace. I can see the Leafs wanting to send probably Marleau and Nathan Horton's rights to the Habs with some picks. The Habs get rid of Alzner. The Leafs save about 3 mil./year of capspace and have an open spot to put players on IR. The Habs buy out both players.

Still makes no sense. Leafs have 1 year of cap trouble - next year. After that both Horton and Marleau expire. Why not just hold onto them and pay both barely any actual salary and then be free of them vs take on a longer term cap dump that is owed more money?

Habs fans are in some fantasy land about dumping him on the Leafs.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Still makes no sense. Leafs have 1 year of cap trouble - next year. After that both Horton and Marleau expire. Why not just hold onto them and pay both barely any actual salary and then be free of them vs take on a longer term cap dump that is owed more money?

Habs fans are in some fantasy land about dumping him on the Leafs.
Well the title says they are looking for a player with term. Alzner can rebound.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Well the title says they are looking for a player with term. Alzner can rebound.

Did you even read the post? Looking for a player with term does not mean some of the worst contracts in the league. Tell me how exactly Alzner is supposed to crack the NHL given their LD depth (he'd be in the pressbox at best) and then help the team transition the puck? He is the literal opposite of what they are looking for.

This is like Oilers fans coming in and saying you need toughness here is Lucic's contract but they know better than that. LD is literally the DEEPEST part of the organization, hardly any value to the team unless they are #1 D's.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
If they do trade for someone with term, I'd be surprised if it was for someone with more than a $4M cap hit.

So someone in the Muzzin/Martinez/Gudas wheelhouse. Assuming its D they are targeting.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Just imagine if Weber was 10 years younger with 4.5M AAV and he was still in Nashville and they would trade him for Nylander. Shame.
Just imagine what Marner and Matthews are thinking right now.You want us to take a pay cut and give it to someone else. HEHE Watch us.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
To me, Alex Pietrangelo stands out -- a player that the Blues may not want to give his next contract to.

Trade Nylander + a 1st for Pietrangelo at $2m retained. Include something like a 2020 3rd that becomes a 2nd if the Leafs make the finals this year.

The short term hit to St. Louis is hard, bringing in Nylander at essentially $9m next year, but after that season, they'll be left with a 24 year old Nylander at $7m with 4 years left on his deal, a 1st round pick, and not having to give Pietrangelo a questionable long term deal.

From Toronto's POV, Pietrangelo gives them a really solid shot at the cup over the next 2 years, and the $2.5m in savings from Nylander to him buys them the flexibility they need for next year.

OTC

Jul 11, 2018
Connor Murphy
Radko Gudas
Alec Martinez
Jake Muzzin
Brett Pesce

Should all be targets to varying degrees that have at least another year left on their deals at a cap hit that digestible that would really help solidify the D group.
What are you giving up for Murphy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad