Speculation: Leafs potentially looking to add a player with term at the deadline

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
The Leafs brass very well could have had plans. Unfortunately for them, Marleau holds the cards here with his NMC. He controls his destiny. If the Leafs only wanted to do 2 years, Marleau's position could quite simply be if you don't want three years, then don't offer a 3-year contract. None of us know, including myself as I've previously stated. I just don't see it as easy as getting the magic erasure out and erasing Marleau's contract. I can however more easily see the motivation for us (fans) wanting to believe that.
But so many other teams have up and used the magic eraser. I DO see it as that easy.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The Leafs brass very well could have had plans. Unfortunately for them, Marleau holds the cards here with his NMC. He controls his destiny. If the Leafs only wanted to do 2 years, Marleau's position could quite simply be if you don't want three years, then don't offer a 3-year contract. None of us know, including myself as I've previously stated. I just don't see it as easy as getting the magic erasure out and erasing Marleau's contract. I can however more easily see the motivation for us (fans) wanting to believe that.
Remember, you are talking about a team that moved 2 more difficult contracts fairly recently when no one thought they could (Phaneuf and Clarkson).

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Lmao I wouldn’t do that for Petry without retention let alone taking 2.75M dead cap for another 3 years.

Anyway, Petry isn’t moving until at the very at the draft and the cost will be 1st + solid LHD prospect. We have 0 interest in a forward and retaining on Petry who’s only making 5.5M for this year and the next two is a pipe dream unless the offer is crazy good.

Great.im not giving mtl regardless of dumb thier gm is a top four dman.so you keep em

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
A first + some blah forward prospect will get you some aging rental - not a player in his prime with term.

Hell, that offer wouldn't get you Simmonds.

Facepalm. Ready? Ok pay attention. ITS NOT A VACUM. We are not giving nice things to mtl..ever. When was the last trade we made with a division rival? Dion? Notice anything? Ill give you 7mil reasons for 5 years why we did that.keep your 2nd pairing D in his ''prime''

Feb 24, 2017
doing favours? I'm not so sure getting paid 3+ million dollars in the form of a signing bonus, to not play for a year, when you've already collected $18M of a $19M retirement contract, can really be construed as Marleau doing the Leafs a favour. If anything, the Leafs have done a hell of a lot more for Marleau than any other team in the league would have, and quite frankly, taking a $3M signing bonus then retiring is hardly a huge imposition.

And I suspect this was arranged from day 1. Look at the contract. They knew what they were doing.
Cause Tavares didn’t have a blanket?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Cause Tavares didn’t have a blanket?
After July first Marleau should be easy to move to a cap floor team. High cap low dollars. That kind of player might be sought after. Marleau, though, is in complete control with the NMC. If he chooses to go, he goes where he wants. Still lives in California, so Arizona might be a place to go.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Who's our JT Miller?
I was thinking about this. Namestnikov could be Hyman or Brown. Howden=Sandin. Hajek I guess would be SDA. The picks can match. Who is Miller is the real question. Maybe Fabbri but make the condition on the future pick more lenient?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
But so many other teams have up and used the magic eraser. I DO see it as that easy.

*** OK. As a fan base, we are certainly optimistic. I'll give you that. Optimism abounds. For some, optimism > realism.

Remember, you are talking about a team that moved 2 more difficult contracts fairly recently when no one thought they could (Phaneuf and Clarkson).

No one? Not that amazing. We did get lots of crap back in the Phaneuf trade. And getting rid of Clarkson took an unusual set of circumstances in that Columbus didn't have any insurance. The Phaneuf trade wouldn't be that hard to replicate, but we won't be doing a trade like that again (any time soon) because we are not in a position to take on dead weight contracts.

But, see ***.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
*** OK. As a fan base, we are certainly optimistic. I'll give you that. Optimism abounds. For some, optimism > realism.

No one? Not that amazing. We did get lots of crap back in the Phaneuf trade. And getting rid of Clarkson took an unusual set of circumstances in that Columbus didn't have any insurance. The Phaneuf trade wouldn't be that hard to replicate, but we won't be doing a trade like that again (any time soon) because we are not in a position to take on dead weight contracts.

But, see ***.

The leafs retained on Phaneuf without retaining.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
We took back unwanted contracts for our bad contract. We "retained" other bad contracts from Ottawa.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad