Speculation: Leafs potentially looking to add a player with term at the deadline

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Or he retires and we are stuck with deadcap. Leafs aren't taking on all the risk, and I don't think you'd like the offered return.
I believe that the dead cap space after retirement only applies to contracts that are signed after the player turns 36. It should not apply to Keith.

Keith is currently playing under one of the old back diving contracts which is subject to recapture penalties if he retires. I am not an expert in how that works, but think that it is Chicago who would take the penalty.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Let me make it clear then, and i speak on behalf of the Habs organization.

I have no desire to trade Petry, until he is in his contract year. It makes zero sense to do so.

#Bergevinwashere
Ok. But for this year Petry for a first will get it done.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Teams will wonder if he can ever repeat this,

He's done it for a year and a half... The only difference this year vs the past is the style of play the Habs are employing. They are a quick puck-possession / puck moving team and it plays within Petry's strengths.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
If the Leafs want a defenseman, then they will have to trade one of there good forwards. You have to give something good to get something good back.

How often do deadline deals involve the playoff team sending good roster players back. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'd argue that Montreal is in 7th place, and has a negative goal differential. And it's not even January yet. Once they fall off the cliff in January and go tumbling down the standings, they might be VERY interested in rebuilding, or at least retooling. So moving out a 31 year old player for picks and prospects could be a very attractive option.
If we fall out of playoff race could see Canadiens make many moves. This is a good draft.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
I think because we aren't far removed from being a terrible team we remember what its like to have players who are GOOD on our team who never pan out on actual contenders. Cody Franson comes to mind.

Im not saying the Habs are as bad as we were when that happened, but it always gives pause when trading futures.

Also, it took the Leafs a long time to understand how the salary cap actually works. You can't just go trading picks for current band aids, that was our business model for years and it failed horribly, we now have the best team we have iced since the early 1990's and it was via the draft. Even the last couple years we have done well drafting later on.

The flipside to this though is that we do need help on the back end, and noone is going to give it to us just to be nice.

Its a balancing act.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Leafs pick going to be 28 to 31st. Why you think that is so special?
Thats where top teams pick, and we can look back for years at the trade deadline to see the usual "first + a/b prospect" formula apply over and over again.

Feb 24, 2017
I have no idea what may end up happening. I have a sneaking suspicion it involves Marleau. It may not.

My point really is, that the Leafs are not really THAT far off in terms fitting everyone in. It's not going to take as much as you might think to make it all work. If someone legit gets injured, it may in fact just work out on it's own. But we'll see. when you actually look at the numbers, it's not as bad as some are painting it.

And I don't want to distract from that point, but even if they don't, and lose Gardiner, the year after that, with Marleau off the books, another year of cap increases, they'll actually be in a position to spend again. As in, they should have enough room to grab a pretty good dman. The Leafs have a LOT of good years ahead of them.
Why is Marleau doing favours on the way out?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Dubas is correct. Is there any affordable bottom ender from another team (likely a non playoff team) going to any better than the Leafs Dmen? I don't understand the distain for the Leafs Dmen especially those on the right side.
Reilly is having a career year...playing with Hainsey. And Hainsey plays big PK time.
Zaitsev is playing well playing with the sometimes erratic Gardiner.
Ozhigakov is rookie and playing with a near rookie Dermot. Can't complain how those two guys have played and getting better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad