Speculation: Leafs potentially looking to add a player with term at the deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Petry. But I'll let you explore other options first. Once you understand the market, we can talk and see if your interested. If you are not interested, no problem. The idea here is other teams want pry away factor if you want a player with term and is trending well.

- Petry
for
- Sandin
- 2019 1st
- Future 2nd
- Horton's uninsured contract.

I'm willing to retain on Petry's contract if you add another future 2nd. I'm willing to bring it down to $4M for the remaining 3 years. Steep price to pay no doubt but your not getting Petry for cheap.

Eww. Id do a first and a forward prospect for petry 50 percent retained. Not giving mtl a future top four d man and a first for petry att 5 mil with term..lmao

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Eww. Id do a first and a forward prospect for petry 50 percent retained. Not giving mtl a future top four d man and a first for petry att 5 mil with term..lmao

A first + some blah forward prospect will get you some aging rental - not a player in his prime with term.

Hell, that offer wouldn't get you Simmonds.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Leafs pick going to be 28 to 31st. Why you think that is so special?
Well, many Habs fans are demanding Rasmus Sandin in a deal for Petry...because Sandin is a very good D prospect....want to guess where he was drafted? Here's a hint...it's right in the range of the bolded.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Why is Marleau doing favours on the way out?
doing favours? I'm not so sure getting paid 3+ million dollars in the form of a signing bonus, to not play for a year, when you've already collected $18M of a $19M retirement contract, can really be construed as Marleau doing the Leafs a favour. If anything, the Leafs have done a hell of a lot more for Marleau than any other team in the league would have, and quite frankly, taking a $3M signing bonus then retiring is hardly a huge imposition.

And I suspect this was arranged from day 1. Look at the contract. They knew what they were doing.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Well, many Habs fans are demanding Rasmus Sandin in a deal for Petry...because Sandin is a very good D prospect....want to guess where he was drafted? Here's a hint...it's right in the range of the bolded.

More to do with him being the best LHD you have after Dermott.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Sandin / Liljegren are bluechippers??? lol

Does that make Josh Brook and Alex Romanov blue chippers too?

Regarding Petry, i am curious what Leaf fans think would be fair value if they are not willing to give up said bluechippers.

Why would you compare a mid first rounder who's done pretty well in the AHL, and a late first who's shown pretty well, to a late second who's pretty crap, and an early second, who's not doing too badly?

the Leafs equivalents to Josh Brook and Alex Romanov are more like Semyon Der-Arguchintsev and Sean Durzi.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
doing favours? I'm not so sure getting paid 3+ million dollars in the form of a signing bonus, to not play for a year, when you've already collected $18M of a $19M retirement contract, can really be construed as Marleau doing the Leafs a favour. If anything, the Leafs have done a hell of a lot more for Marleau than any other team in the league would have, and quite frankly, taking a $3M signing bonus then retiring is hardly a huge imposition.

And I suspect this was arranged from day 1. Look at the contract. They knew what they were doing.

That is a simplistic view of the situation that represents just one side of the coin, the organization's side. Unfortunately, there are people involved. Things tend to be more complicated when human & human emotions are involved. Think about how you present the "we'd like to get rid of you, we don't need you anymore" element of this. A human might wonder why a three year contract was being offered by an organization that had no intention of honouring said contract. I don't think you understand the thinking involved by real people when they are considering retiring, or are about to retire.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
That is a simplistic view of the situation that represents just one side of the coin, the organization's side. Unfortunately, there are people involved. Things tend to be more complicated when human & human emotions are involved. Think about how you present the "we'd like to get rid of you, we don't need you anymore" element of this. A human might wonder why a three year contract was being offered by an organization that had no intention of honouring said contract. I don't think you understand the thinking involved by real people when they are considering retiring, or are about to retire.

If that's how you want to look at it, sure.

But as I said from the start, I suspect that contract was always drawn up with the understanding (and agreed to by Marleau) that he'd only ever play two of them with the Leafs. The salary structure just screams "we're giving you $18M to play for two years, but we're going to call it 3", wink wink, nudge nudge.

It may or may not happen, but I suspect this has always been planned for. By the Leafs, AND Marleau.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
If that's how you want to look at it, sure.

But as I said from the start, I suspect that contract was always drawn up with the understanding (and agreed to by Marleau) that he'd only ever play two of them with the Leafs. The salary structure just screams "we're giving you $18M to play for two years, but we're going to call it 3", wink wink, nudge nudge.

It may or may not happen, but I suspect this has always been planned for. By the Leafs, AND Marleau.

I can see why the optics of that contract would generate that kind of thinking. Just not sure how you really present the idea that "we can only see you in a Leaf uniform for 2 years" to a player (human). Its certainly quite possible that the player still thinks he has several good years of play left in him.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I can see why the optics of that contract would generate that kind of thinking. Just not sure how you really present the idea that "we can only see you in a Leaf uniform for 2 years" to a player (human). Its certainly quite possible that the player still thinks he has several good years of play left in him.

How do you present that?

When players are 37 years old, they don't expect 3 year contracts. Any multi-year contract is a bonus. I'd bet he wasn't getting offers past 1 year. You present that as "You're about to get a huge payday, and get paid more in two years + plus signing bonus, which is probably double than you'd get from anyone else in the league, BUT, you've got to fake injury, agree to trade, whatever it takes to get the job done, in the third year". And then Marleau gets $18M, when the chances of making $9M, at that point in his career, were slim to none.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Lmao I wouldn’t do that for Petry without retention let alone taking 2.75M dead cap for another 3 years.

Anyway, Petry isn’t moving until at the very at the draft and the cost will be 1st + solid LHD prospect. We have 0 interest in a forward and retaining on Petry who’s only making 5.5M for this year and the next two is a pipe dream unless the offer is crazy good.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
How do you present that?

When players are 37 years old, they don't expect 3 year contracts. Any multi-year contract is a bonus. I'd bet he wasn't getting offers past 1 year.

I think you are presenting a lot of opinions like they are solid facts. Many players play well past 37 years of age - Chara for one (no, not going to bother listing others). Depends on the player. You are making lots of assumptions about Marleau's other offers which you (and I) know nothing about.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I think you are presenting a lot of opinions like they are solid facts. Many players play well past 37 years of age - Chara for one (no, not going to bother listing others). Depends on the player. You are making lots of assumptions about Marleau's other offers which you (and I) know nothing about.

Yeah, I'm makign assumptions. But you're also making assumptions that they simply had no plans to deal with the contract. I have a hard time believing that, looking at how smart these guys are with their contract management, and the structure of the contract.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
That was a pretty good pick. Don't happen often. Go back and look at last 10 players chosen 30rd overall. Slim chance he will be much of a player

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Yeah, I'm makign assumptions. But you're also making assumptions that they simply had no plans to deal with the contract. I have a hard time believing that, looking at how smart these guys are with their contract management, and the structure of the contract.
The Leafs brass very well could have had plans. Unfortunately for them, Marleau holds the cards here with his NMC. He controls his destiny. If the Leafs only wanted to do 2 years, Marleau's position could quite simply be if you don't want three years, then don't offer a 3-year contract. None of us know, including myself as I've previously stated. I just don't see it as easy as getting the magic erasure out and erasing Marleau's contract. I can however more easily see the motivation for us (fans) wanting to believe that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad