Speculation: Leafs potentially looking to add a player with term at the deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Marleau I doubt would agree to go on ltir. Also I think some of your numbers are light. As for the other scenerios.....maybe. Your front office are no dummies. I’m positive they have a good plan. I guess we will see what happens.

I have no idea what may end up happening. I have a sneaking suspicion it involves Marleau. It may not.

My point really is, that the Leafs are not really THAT far off in terms fitting everyone in. It's not going to take as much as you might think to make it all work. If someone legit gets injured, it may in fact just work out on it's own. But we'll see. when you actually look at the numbers, it's not as bad as some are painting it.

And I don't want to distract from that point, but even if they don't, and lose Gardiner, the year after that, with Marleau off the books, another year of cap increases, they'll actually be in a position to spend again. As in, they should have enough room to grab a pretty good dman. The Leafs have a LOT of good years ahead of them.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Great. 1st & 2nd for Petry. Dubas should easily get this done. Slam dunk.

Not interested trading Petry. Particularly for that crappy return.

The time to trade Petry woudl be in 2 years when he would be in the last year of his contract. We need to reap the benefits of his play and then cash out in his contract year.

Insidefi

Sep 22, 2016
Alberta
Lol at this thread. There are like 5 different Montreal fans trying to trade Petry then get upset when Toronto fans say they don’t want them for that price. I could be wrong but I think every Petry proposal was started by Habs fans then they are getting mad saying Leafs don’t deserve him if they don’t pay up. No Leafs fans proposed for him in the first place...

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Lol at this thread. There are like 5 different Montreal fans trying to trade Petry then get upset when Toronto fans say they don’t want them for that price. I could be wrong but I think every Petry proposal was started by Habs fans then they are getting mad saying Leafs don’t deserve him if they don’t pay up. No Leafs fans proposed for him in the first place...

Let me make it clear then, and i speak on behalf of the Habs organization.

I have no desire to trade Petry, until he is in his contract year. It makes zero sense to do so.

#Bergevinwashere

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Only way that happens is if there is major retention and the Hawks are ok with some futures along with a guy like Brown.
5.5MM isn't terrible. If Gardiner moves and Hainsey going, they will need a veteran.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
It's terrible when he is a few years older and barely a bottom pairing D. It's the term that is bad.
Keith has still got game. He is on a bad team. His zone exits last year were elite so clearly he can skate. His QoC this year is similar to Jake Gardiner. I would take him over Petry any day

Insidefi

Sep 22, 2016
Alberta
Let me make it clear then, and i speak on behalf of the Habs organization.

I have no desire to trade Petry, until he is in his contract year. It makes zero sense to do so.

#Bergevinwashere

That’s great and I agree . If he is a great as Habs fans are saying (I’m not doubting he is) then you should be keeping him.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Keith has still got game. He is on a bad team. His zone exits last year were elite so clearly he can skate. His QoC this year is similar to Jake Gardiner. I would take him over Petry any day

I would love to have him just for his experience alone. I'd take him but the salary would have to be so that when he is 40 he is making bottom pair money because we need to save the cap. And on top of that, they won't pay huge value for him, so I don't see it happening.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
5.5MM isn't terrible. If Gardiner moves and Hainsey going, they will need a veteran.

I think they extend hainsey for 1 year at $2-2.5 million.

Gardiner will be impossible without dumping zaitsev.

Rielly.- hainsey
Dermott - zaitsev
Rosen -lily

Not pretty but may need to suck it up for a season.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I would love to have him just for his experience alone. I'd take him but the salary would have to be so that when he is 40 he is making bottom pair money because we need to save the cap. And on top of that, they won't pay huge value for him, so I don't see it happening.
When he is 40, 5.5MM will be chump change

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
Or he retires and we are stuck with deadcap. Leafs aren't taking on all the risk, and I don't think you'd like the offered return.

This is the issue. Hawk fans wouldn't like what the leafs would offer.
But myself personally, I would 100% make an offer like 1st + Zaitsev
But the hawks would just laugh and hang up, probably.

I don't really want to know the real value, because I wouldn't pay it.
But he would make the team infinitely better, but I'm not giving up young assets for an aging D-man, regardless of his Pedigree.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
It would be hard for me to think who Toronto could pick-up because they only really have Gardiner to place on the block right now.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
They have tons of cap space, picks and prospects. Come summer time, some other guys might move.

I mean they could take on a whole salary for one year without the other team retaining, as to which they could tell the other team they won't add because they're making room for salary on whichever teams' roster they trade with.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I mean they could take on a whole salary for one year without the other team retaining, as to which they could tell the other team they won't add because they're making room for salary on whichever teams' roster they trade with.

Yeah but that's not really what Dubas wants. He wants someone with term. It's his ship, so we gotta wait and see which rocks he'll steer it into. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad