Speculation: Leafs potentially looking to add a player with term at the deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
It's crazy. People talking about Marner or Nylander++++ or Kappy and Dermott++++ are also crazy. Any of these players are better than what SJS gave up for EK, and it really is not that close.

All I see is people wanting the Leafs to gut the team, when in reality they would not need to if you look at other trades that have happened as of late... silly.

We keep our players, trade only if we HAVE to (as nobody knows what any of our players will cost) keep drafting well, developing well, and reinforcements will be here soon. Hell we had Moore up last night on the 4th line, and he looks solid... I am not at all worried about our future lol

I love the HF logic

Our players are only great before we sign them or trade them. Once a trade may happen, we need to include them all.

The package to get AP would be a lot less than posters on here think.

One Leafs fan suggested a package similar to what SJ paid for Karlsson. I brought up what I thought was similar in terms of value.

Out of curiosity, tell me what kind of package that doesn’t include Nylander that you think St-Louis would accept for Pietro?

Come on, man, Dermott might be the most valuable piece between those two packages, and you have him just lumped in with other pieces.

For me Tierny has the highest value of all mentioned players. 24 years old on pace for 50 points with shitty linesmate, good on faceoff and a solid two-way game.

To me, he tops all the players above, including Sandin and the multiple first rounders. He’s a very underrated and under-appreciated player. I got to watch more of him since he was traded and I really fell in love with the player.

At first I thought Ottawa was plain and simple robbed but the players they got back really impressed me. Jooris is a solid prospect and Demalo play a strong two-way game as well. Solid young third pairing guy.

While Dermott had a real solid start last year, he slowly down big time and he really struggled this year even though he is one of the most sheltered player in the league. Still like him but he’s far from the being the best piece in this deal

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
One Leafs fan suggested a package similar to what SJ paid for Karlsson. I brought up what I thought was similar in terms of value.

Out of curiosity, tell me what kind of package that doesn’t include Nylander that you think St-Louis would accept for Pietro?

For me Tierny has the highest value of all mentioned players. 24 years old on pace for 50 points with ****ty linesmate, good on faceoff and a solid two-way game.

To me, he tops all the players above, including Sandin and the multiple first rounders. He’s a very underrated and under-appreciated player. I got to watch more of him since he was traded and I really fell in love with the player.

At first I thought Ottawa was plain and simple robbed but the players they got back really impressed me. Jooris is a solid prospect and Demalo play a strong two-way game as well. Solid young third pairing guy.

While Dermott had a real solid start last year, he slowly down big time and he really struggled this year even though he is one of the most sheltered player in the league. Still like him but he’s far from the being the best piece in this deal

Can you explain your last paragraph a little better? Mostly the parts you made up about him struggling and being most sheltered player on the league.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Can you explain your last paragraph a little better? Mostly the parts you made up about him struggling and being most sheltered player on the league.

You just have to take a quick look at his advanced stats and it clearly shows he’s been one of the most sheltered player in the league since he joined.

He struggled a lot with his defensive coverage, stick work and decision making this year. It still needs work but it’s not something he can’t overcome

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
To add to my latest comments, I would rank all the players included (value wise) as follow:

- Tierny
- Kapanen
- Dermott
- Jooris
- SJ 1st
- Toronto 1st
- Demalo
- SJ 2nd
- Toronto 2nd

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Stop acting like the Karlsson trade set the market for defensemen.It's one of the most annoying narratives on here from fans needing defense help. Anyone that tried to use that abomination of a trade as a measuring stick is either willfully ignorant pushing an agenda or incapable of basic logical thinking. Unless you want to pay a first overall future hart winner for first pairing tweener. Cause hey that happened too.

Reactions: 67Blues

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
You just have to take a quick look at his advanced stats and it clearly shows he’s been one of the most sheltered player in the league since he joined.

He struggled a lot with his defensive coverage, stick work and decision making this year. It still needs work but it’s not something he can’t overcome

He's putting up a 6% corsi rel and 5.5% xGF with 50/50 zone starts. He's facing mediocre competition but he's absolutely destroying it. Not even close to the bottom of the league, he's facing harder QoC than guys like Trouba, Chara, Klingberg, and Hedman.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
He's putting up a 6% corsi rel and 5.5% xGF with 50/50 zone starts. He's facing mediocre competition but he's absolutely destroying it. Not even close to the bottom of the league, he's facing harder QoC than guys like Trouba, Chara, Klingberg, and Hedman.

Isn’t what sheltered means? Facing mediocre competition? Yes, he got 5.5% xGF but he’s also (although it’s not an excellent stats) -3 on a +37 GF team.

Eye test also shows he’s been struggling with decision making, defensive converage and stick work along the boards. I’m not saying he’s garbage, but I wouldn’t call his game « destroying »

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
One of Leafs fans suggested a package similar to what SJ paid for Karlsson. I brought up what I thought was similar in terms of value.

For me Tierny has the highest value of all mentioned players. 24 years old on pace for 50 points with ****ty linesmate, good on faceoff and a solid two-way game.

The thing is, I am not even sure what a package would be. I find with trades, there are so many variables.

Personally, for AP, I wouldn't make that move, we have prospects that will end up coming. I just don't think we should be moving players who are young and affordable in the cap world, even if it is going up.

Tierney has 22 points so far this year, will be 25. Demelo has 8 points so far, and will be 26, so I don't see massive upsides in these players, and yes I have also watched them, I was not high on them in San Jose either.

They were the main roster pieces, and anything we would give up, around the same "sort" of production would be much younger, with more upside in my opinion, so that's why I would not do it.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

He will be 26?

Dermott just turned 22 on Dec 22nd lol

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Isn’t what sheltered means? Facing mediocre competition? Yes, he got 5.5% xGF but he’s also (although it’s not an excellent stats) -3 on a +37 GF team.

Eye test also shows he’s been struggling with decision making, defensive converage and stick work along the boards. I’m not saying he’s garbage, but I wouldn’t call his game « destroying »

You said he is the most sheltered player.in the league and are factually incorrect about that. Shifting the goalposts to "well he faces regular 3rd pair competition so that's still kinda sheltered" doesn't do anything.

I'm really not sure what games you're watching if you think he's struggling. The minus is largely a puck luck issue, he's got a low on ice save percentage so his goals against is 6 higher than his xGA. He tilts the ice in his current situation and is a prime candidate to move up the lineup soon based on his performance.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
To add to my latest comments, I would rank all the players included (value wise) as follow:

- Tierny
- Kapanen
- Dermott
- Jooris
- SJ 1st
- Toronto 1st
- Demalo
- SJ 2nd
- Toronto 2nd

This to me is just not true. In no world is Kappy at 22 years of age, worth less than Tierny at almost 25? Kappy will be the better player at the end of this year.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
He will be 26?

Dermott just turned 22 on Dec 22nd lol

25 years old is still young? Unless you think it’s not.

This to me is just not true. In no world is Kappy at 22 years of age, worth less than Tierny at almost 25? Kappy will be the better player at the end of this year.

Tierny is as close to 25 as Kapanen is 23 lmao. Tierny is still progressing as well and he plays a more important position. Imo he has more value.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

- Tierny
- Kapanen
- Dermott
- Jooris
- SJ 1st
- Toronto 1st
- Demalo
- SJ 2nd
- Toronto 2nd

Kapanen is younger and playing better than Tierney at the moment. Although he does have the benefit of better line mates. However, keep in mind we’re also talking about trade value for a trade that happened in the summer, prior to Tierney’s solid play this season.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Stop acting like the Karlsson trade set the market for defensemen.It's one of the most annoying narratives on here from fans needing defense help. Anyone that tried to use that abomination of a trade as a measuring stick is either willfully ignorant pushing an agenda or incapable of basic logical thinking. Unless you want to pay a first overall future hart winner for first pairing tweener. Cause hey that happened too.

How bout the trade for McDonagh then?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

Tierny is as close to 25 as Kapanen is 23 lmao. Tierny is still progressing as well and he plays a more important position. Imo he has more value.

25 is young, but development wise he doesn't have a whole lot of room to keep growing. He will of course become more refined with experience.

Fair enough, but I think Kappy at 22 will finish with 60 points this year. He also plays a solid 200ft game, has great speed, and is lights out as a PKer

I will give you the position standpoint, I do believe that matters.

Reactions: Offside2408

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie

Not to the leafs tho who already have 3 far superior options to roll out each night. Kapanen looks far more dynamic from the eye test to boot. Then consider age, contracts etc..

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
It's crazy. People talking about Marner or Nylander++++ or Kappy and Dermott++++ are also crazy.

Why concern yourself about what random fans think? None of this has any bearing on what actual GMs think or do.

Reactions: DanM

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

- Tierny
- Kapanen
- Dermott
- Jooris
- SJ 1st
- Toronto 1st
- Demalo
- SJ 2nd
- Toronto 2nd

You say Dermott has regressed but by any metric you look at he's better than last year. Game score, GAR, Evolving Wild's RAPM. I don't know what you're looking at but Dermott has been the best dman in the NHL at driving possession and he's certainly not available. He's going to be a top pairing guy within 2 years, and he's certainly more valuable then Chris Tierney lol

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Kapanen is younger and playing better than Tierney at the moment. Although he does have the benefit of better line mates. However, keep in mind we’re also talking about trade value for a trade that happened in the summer, prior to Tierney’s solid play this season.

He still had a 40 points season playing 3C in SJ. I mean, he’s no superstar but he’s a much better than I though he was and as you said, Kapanen benefits from his line mates as well. He did grow a lot from last season though but as of today I’d pick Tierny before Kapanen

25 is young, but development wise he doesn't have a whole lot of room to keep growing. He will of course become more refined with experience.

Fair enough, but I think Kappy at 22 will finish with 60 points this year. He also plays a solid 200ft game, has great speed, and is lights out as a PKer

I will give you the position standpoint, I do believe that matters.

And that’s great for Kapanen that he grew his game this much this season but I think Tierny still has the edge over him. He’s got as good of a 200 game as well as being good on the dot and on pace for 50 points with marginal players as line mates.

Not to the leafs tho who already have 3 far superior options to roll out each night. Kapanen looks far more dynamic from the eye test to boot. Then consider age, contracts etc..

We’re comparing packages here for a top RHD, not a kappy for Tierny trade.

Offside2408

Dec 5, 2018

He lost credibility for me with that ranking. Kappy is already a better and faster player now in his first full year as a 22 year old then teirney. Nobody except him would value him higher then kappy at 22. Even the the most biased leaf haters know that’s just simply not true. The rest could be argued either way but kap is by far more valuable then any piece Ottawa got for EK. Not to mention that EK is considered by many the best D man on the planet and SJ plans to resign him. Pietrangelo is not the best dm. And leafs simply can not keep him beyond next season even if they do get him so they couldn’t give up a package like that for 1.5 year rental. No GM would. Well..... no GM should rather

Ad

Ad

Ad