Speculation: Leafs potentially looking to add a player with term at the deadline

Mar 14, 2011
One Leafs fan suggested a package similar to what SJ paid for Karlsson. I brought up what I thought was similar in terms of value.

Out of curiosity, tell me what kind of package that doesn’t include Nylander that you think St-Louis would accept for Pietro?

For me Tierny has the highest value of all mentioned players. 24 years old on pace for 50 points with ****ty linesmate, good on faceoff and a solid two-way game.

To me, he tops all the players above, including Sandin and the multiple first rounders. He’s a very underrated and under-appreciated player. I got to watch more of him since he was traded and I really fell in love with the player.

At first I thought Ottawa was plain and simple robbed but the players they got back really impressed me. Jooris is a solid prospect and Demalo play a strong two-way game as well. Solid young third pairing guy.

While Dermott had a real solid start last year, he slowly down big time and he really struggled this year even though he is one of the most sheltered player in the league. Still like him but he’s far from the being the best piece in this deal
How has Dermott struggled defensively this year? His rel xGA60 and rel high danger chances per 60 is quite clearly the best out of the entire Leafs D core, granted he is doing this with sheltered minutes. Also, De Melo from what I remember was the Sharks fans scapegoat as he was being labeled as a low quality bottom pairing D, these 2 players aren't even comparable.

Clearly you are overrating Tierney at the time of trade and underrating Kap, Kap might be benefiting from his teammates but at the same time, Babcock ain't doing him any favours by giving him virtually no PP times, all of Kap's points were earned either in ES or while SH, the little PP time that he does gets is usually at the very tail end of a PP. Whatever Tierney is doing now is irrelevant as at the time of trade he was a guy who was coming of a career high of 40 points in his 4th season as a 24 year old (nearing his prime years and near the end of his development years).

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
If Schaller gets bought out, then I think we'd be wise to offer him a contract - propably near the league minimum, but nonetheless.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Petry is having a solid year, but 5.5 m is still gonna be hard for the Leafs to fit in unless they are dumping Marleau ot Zaitsev.

I'd do a 1st + Brown + a lesser D prospect if there was some retention.
Gotta be quite big. Leafs pick will be very late. Habs maybe able to retain this season. If that helps?

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Dude, you're not getting it. Everyone else can get players for picks and prospect but there is a secret league rule that the Leafs have to trade Marner, Nylander or Matthews to get one.

Get with the program.

I think the big issue is some of the guys we want are on teams where the want something a bit farther along the progress.
They dont want someone who has a good chance of becoming a AJ+ a pick, they just want AJ.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think the big issue is some of the guys we want are on teams where the want something a bit farther along the progress.
They dont want someone who has a good chance of becoming a AJ+ a pick, they just want AJ.

If you look back on a lot of deadline deals, contenders can usually scoop up good assets without bankrupting their organizations. The McDonagh trade was a good example of the Lightning paying out more in quantity than quality.

Reactions: AustonPowers

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
The bolded tells me you would make a terrible gm. If ottawa was offered the Toronto package they would have taken that, all while being in the same division

You don’t know that. Tierny is on pace for 50 points, Demelo is having a good season and Jooris (should be Norris) is progressing well. The 1st/2nd of SJ are probably going to be higher than Toronto’s.

Imo both package has around the same value and with their current contracts and the fact that Karlsson wasn’t going to resign, I believe Pietrangelo has the same value right now as Karlsson had this summer.

So, if you don’t want to make a hockey trade and give up a high end asset 1v1 for Pietrangelo, expect this kind of package to be (rightfully) asked and given (by either Toronto or someone else)

The return Ottawa got was actually pretty decent, but it just gets the per usual superficial review from the HF crowd (hive).

I see Pietrangelo resigning in St. Louis anyhow. His wife is from the area, and he's just had triplets. Can't see see his wife abandoning the support network she has in parents, etc. He also recently had hand surgery. Not sure how much of a contribution he'd make this year, at least in the regular season.

Last edited:

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
The return Ottawa got was actually pretty decent, but it just gets the per usual superficial review from the HF crowd (hive).

I see Pietrbngelo resigning in St. Louis anyhow. His wife is from the area, and he's just had triplets. Can't see see his wife abandoning the support network she has in parents, etc. He also recently had hand surgery. Not sure how much of a contribution he'd make this year, at least in the regular season.

I live in ottawa. And it isnt just the HF treatment. The fans weren't happy with the return and the treatment of Karlsson, and it's not an exaggeration how the city feels about the clowns that are management and the broke owner.

Reactions: LeafGrief

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It's crazy. People talking about Marner or Nylander++++ or Kappy and Dermott++++ are also crazy. Any of these players are better than what SJS gave up for EK, and it really is not that close.

All I see is people wanting the Leafs to gut the team, when in reality they would not need to if you look at other trades that have happened as of late... silly.

We keep our players, trade only if we HAVE to (as nobody knows what any of our players will cost) keep drafting well, developing well, and reinforcements will be here soon. Hell we had Moore up last night on the 4th line, and he looks solid... I am not at all worried about our future lol

I love the HF logic

Our players are only great before we sign them or trade them. Once a trade may happen, we need to include them all.

The package to get AP would be a lot less than posters on here think.

I think the analysis of the SJ EK trade and the assets returned to Ottawa is typical HF superficially light.

Senators received two NHL roster players: Tierney who is conservatively a top 9 F (he's been moved around, but has been playing 2C), and Demelo who's playing their top 4 D. Norris, the prospect D they got is pretty decent. And, Senators get a 1st round pick (in either 2019 or 2020) and a 2nd round pick, plus a conditional 2nd round pick if Karlsson resigns with the Sharks.

And I'm not convinced that AP is even on the market (see #237) , so there's that.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanM

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I live in ottawa. And it isnt just the HF treatment. The fans weren't happy with the return and the treatment of Karlsson, and it's not an exaggeration how the city feels about the clowns that are management and the broke owner.

Living in a city doesn't mean much & not sure anyone could accurately characterize the opinion of an entire fan base very well either (let alone & setting aside the potential agendas as well).

Expectations for Ottawa fans were no doubt higher, but that's to be expected, along with a slightly more realistic and lower return.

As for how they feel about EM, of course I agree with that. I have uncles/aunts/cousins in Ottawa for what's that's worth. I'm trying to get beyond the superficial here. No doubt that won't go well with some (a certain crowd).

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
These players are on the Ottawa Senators. Ottawa shut the door on teams in Division obtaining real value they could have gotten fit Karlsson. The 1st 2nd rounders are late picks. Not going to over value them as such.
-Tierney is ok. Really a 3rd liner and solid 4th liner on Ottawa. Anywhere else he is 4th line, press box. Will he be 40 point player in future. Doubtful.
-Demelo. Not a very good defensman. Good offense though. He was a healthy scratch with SJ and not really in their plans.
-Can’t remember other player off top of my head, so enough said on that.

Leafs could swing a deal without giving up the world for AP. All depends if St. L is game fir it.

Tierney lately has been switched to a winger on the top line with Duchene. Having said that, he's played mostly as a 2C.

Demelo has played in the top 4 for the most part and has looked pretty decent. SJ has one of the better blue lines in the NHL. Perspective is important/necessary. You also forgot Norris who is rated highly as a D prospect.

Your analysis is not good - meets the typical HF lite standard.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Sorry for triggering you on Christmas, I hope you will be okay and be able to enjoy your day. Though I don't know that you even celebrate that holiday, so whatever you choose to celebrate I hope you are less triggered!
Im Christian, a born and raised Catholic but i will not enjoy this one as the last few Christmas Ive had in Mexico on the Beach but this one here so is diffy and cold

Merry Christmas bub

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Hey leaf fans...heard you’re looking for a cost controlled player

upload_2018-12-25_13-54-46.jpeg

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
They all very late firsts, for a #2 d-man signed long term
Kap is worth far far more than a late 1st lol...

As in Sandin as this point considering how well he has played on the Marlies as a 18 year old.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Kap is worth far far more than a late 1st lol...

As in Sandin as this point considering how well he has played on the Marlies as a 18 year old.
Nobody is going to give you a #2 NHL defenseman signed long term. If you are serious about a cup you need to pony up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad