Speculation: Leafs potentially looking to add a player with term at the deadline

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Lol...

So it is the Leaf premium, got it..

Nobody is going to trade a top end defenseman with term during the actual season. If you are looking to make a trade for a player with Term better luck at the draft(although somebody correct me if I am wrong but the last defenseman traded who had TERM(so not Karlsson) was Pronger like in 2009?

Probably a more likely scenario would be a trade and sign for a guy whose contract expires in a year. Maybe somebody like Ryan McDonagh will be up for grabs as well but I am not sure 1 1/2 years is considered "term".

Last edited:

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
A top pairing defenseman with long term control? Not going to be cheap. A late first, mid level prospect and 4th liner certainly won't get it done.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Dubas thinks the Leafs need a D to move the puck. I think they also need one or two that are better at defending the danger areas and breaking up the cycle. They don't have enough D that play really well when the opposition has the puck.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Nobody is going to give you a #2 NHL defenseman signed long term. If you are serious about a cup you need to pony up

I think we would pass then. Some pretty decent Dmen have moved, and for far less than Kap, Sandin, and a 1st.

We are better off staying the course.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Petry is on pace for 60 points, logs 25 minutes a game, plus we are in position to retain. What quality are you looking for?

Noone is saying Petry is bad here, just that you are pricing him like a top tier guy.

I see his value as the traditional first round pick plus b prospect. You see it higher than that. Moving on.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Petry is having an all-star year. There's no chance he goes to a team where the best piece coming back is a late first.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I see people still believe the narrative that the Larsson/Hall trade changed the price of a top 4 D forever. LOL.
That's why the media predicted guys like Sanheim could be the centrepiece for Nylander.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Nylander is a 60 point player. Barrie had only 4 less points than Nylander in 14 less games last season. He's been a top 5 scoring defenseman over the past 5 seasons. Maybe you just don't know much about Barrie? Otherwise idk why youd assume the value is so off.

Nylander is a 60 point player each of his first 2 NHl seasons. Barrie has been around longer.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Petry is on pace for 60 points, logs 25 minutes a game, plus we are in position to retain. What quality are you looking for?
I think it's time to try other teams when offering Petry....maybe one of them will pay what Habs fans are expecting.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Petry is a guy who will never play like this again. "Buying High" on him would be an error. Some Team might, but not the Leafs.

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
You say Dermott has regressed but by any metric you look at he's better than last year. Game score, GAR, Evolving Wild's RAPM. I don't know what you're looking at but Dermott has been the best dman in the NHL at driving possession and he's certainly not available. He's going to be a top pairing guy within 2 years, and he's certainly more valuable then Chris Tierney lol

This right here is why leaf fans get a bad rep. Best d man in the nhl at driving possession and top pairing guy in 2 years. Best part leaf fans bitch about every trade offer but dont call this out, guess that means they agree?

Reactions: Rob Brown

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
This right here is why leaf fans get a bad rep. Best d man in the nhl at driving possession and top pairing guy in 2 years. Best part leaf fans ***** about every trade offer but dont call this out, guess that means they agree?
Yes, because we don't respond to every post you don't like....it means we all agree....

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
This right here is why leaf fans get a bad rep. Best d man in the nhl at driving possession and top pairing guy in 2 years. Best part leaf fans ***** about every trade offer but dont call this out, guess that means they agree?

You have ignored the entire part about the nonsense of Dermott regressing I have noticed.

When will other fans get bad reps for this?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Millions of Leafs fans, but if we don't all call it out it means we all agree. Got it.

Broad Street Buddies

Jun 16, 2018
Montréal
I see people still believe the narrative that the Larsson/Hall trade changed the price of a top 4 D forever. LOL.
That's why the media predicted guys like Sanheim could be the centrepiece for Nylander.
Nylander is really awesome but I don’t think that you would be able to find even one Flyers fan willing to trade Sanheim for Nylander.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad