Speculation: Leafs potentially looking to add a player with term at the deadline

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I wonder if we'll see a Jake Gardiner + 1st package sometime soon for RHD help. Basically trading Gardiner to a team and saying "here's an asset that can fetch you another 1st at the deadline".

I don't see why Dubas would consider trading Gardiner. The OP quotes Dubas as saying "team needs to be moving the puck out better". That's one of Gardiner's strengths. Sometimes the system Babcock uses forces more stretch passes and such instead of skating it out. But Gardiner can do both. To the point where the oposition keys in on his side when the Leafs get posession, and he's forced to send the puck to his (far less talented) partner to break out (with less success).

Toronto doesn't need to trade Gardiner. They need to bring in a steady guy on the opposite side with Rielly to stop the above from happening to both of them.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Montreal has no reason to trade Petry while sitting in a playoff spot.

True but they're fools gold. If they were smart they'd trade JP and concede this season and lose as many games as they can for Hughes. That said, they'd want a nice return for a pretty good RHD and I doubt TOR would like the cost very much anyway.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Petry. But I'll let you explore other options first. Once you understand the market, we can talk and see if your interested. If you are not interested, no problem. The idea here is other teams want pry away factor if you want a player with term and is trending well.

- Petry
for
- Sandin
- 2019 1st
- Future 2nd
- Horton's uninsured contract.

I'm willing to retain on Petry's contract if you add another future 2nd. I'm willing to bring it down to $4M for the remaining 3 years. Steep price to pay no doubt but your not getting Petry for cheap.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Petry. But I'll let you explore other options first. Once you understand the market, we can talk and see if your interested. If you are not interested, no problem. The idea here is other teams want pry away factor if you want a player with term and is trending well.

- Petry
for
- Sandin
- 2019 1st
- Future 2nd

I'm willing to retain on Petry's contract if you add another future 2nd. I'm willing to bring it down to $4M for the remaining 3 years. Steep price to pay no doubt but your not getting Petry for cheap.

That's too much for Petry.
There are other players we'd be interested in spending that ask for not named Petry.
Leafs pass.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

- Petry
for
- Sandin
- 2019 1st
- Future 2nd

This is a super easy....don't even think twice about it pass.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I don't see why Dubas would consider trading Gardiner. The OP quotes Dubas as saying "team needs to be moving the puck out better". That's one of Gardiner's strengths. Sometimes the system Babcock uses forces more stretch passes and such instead of skating it out. But Gardiner can do both. To the point where the oposition keys in on his side when the Leafs get posession, and he's forced to send the puck to his (far less talented) partner to break out (with less success).

Toronto doesn't need to trade Gardiner. They need to bring in a steady guy on the opposite side with Rielly to stop the above from happening to both of them.

And they can bring in a steady guy with term on the opposite side of Rielly by dangling Gardiner, who's set to leave by end of year.

We can move the puck out better by replacing Jake with someone on the right side and giving Dermott Jake's minutes on the left side. Somebody like Rosen, who has had a great season in the AHL and is currently behind considerable depth on the left side, can come in and fill Dermott's vacant role admirably. It's basically a re-shifting of the D (and we'd be better in our zone for it).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's too much for Petry.
There are other players we'd be interested in spending that ask for not named Petry.
Leafs pass.

Not it's not. He's top 10 in defenseman production and has ability to score. Plus I'm taking on the Horton contract which means Molson has to write off $4M+ in actual money if the trade happened at the deadline. Add that top 4 RD are rare today.

I understand the price is steep but good luck getting a proven top 4D with decent term for cheap from any team.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Not it's not. He's top 10 in defenseman production and has ability to score. Plus I'm taking on the Horton contract which means Molson has to write off $4M+ in actual money if the trade happened at the deadline. Add that top 4 RD are rare today.

I understand the price is steep but good luck getting a proven top 4D with decent term for cheap from any team.

Top 10 defencemen don't grow on trees. You should keep him.

Leafs will look elsewhere if they're paying what you're asking for.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Taking Horton's contract means absolutely nothing...Leafs don't care about actual cash, so it adds no value. So you are basically asking for 2 1sts and a 2nd....that's to much for Petry.

Reactions: go4hockey

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is a super easy....don't even think twice about it pass.

You are better off going after a rental and using a 2nd round pick. As a Habs fan, I'd love to see the Leafs trade futures year after year for rentals like the Pens and Blackhawks have in recent cap hell years.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

- Petry
for
- Sandin
- 2019 1st
- Future 2nd

Good lord.

Btw, Horton's contract isn't a problem anymore. In 2019-20, we won't have anyone on ELC's with major bonus potential. He'll go on LTIR and be forgotten.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
You are better off going after a rental and using a 2nd round pick. As a Habs fan, I'd love to see the Leafs trade futures year after year like the Pens and Blackhawks have in recent cap hell years.
I agree. I'd target guys like Gudas...and the ever unpopular choice of Tanev.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Good lord.

Btw, Horton's contract isn't a problem anymore. In 2019-20, we won't have anyone on ELC's with major bonus potential. He'll go on LTIR and be forgotten.

BTW... why did the Blackhawks unload the insured Hossa contract? It's way more complicated than most fans realize.

As far as Petry's value. I'm not asking for anything proven. I'm asking for a futures piece in each year in term left. It's not ridiculous. Petry is in the top 10 in defenseman scoring and is on a very good term/AAV

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Gudbranson and Schaller for Kapanen and a 2nd would help out both teams

Or Tanev for Sandin and a 2nd
Pass on both those 2 for Kapanen alone is laughable, and then you want a second included.

Tanev is a nice piece but he's not worth our top prospect playing well in the AHL as an 18 year old. With the future of our roster we need cheap ELC pieces like Sandin far more than Tanev. Both would be ideal if the cost was say a 1st + a B prospect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad