Speculation: Kaliyev trade...

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I’d like to see Kaliyev next to Kopitar or Danault for a good 20 games. He's crazy good with Danault and Moore. I also would like to station Kaliyev on the right circle on the second power play. I think that’s the right situation to find out if Kaliyev is a keeper.

I don't think the Kings should trade Kaliyev until mid season 2024-25 at the earliest. There's a ton of potential, but he won't reach it with Lizotte.

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
I’d like to see Kaliyev next to Kopitar or Danault for a good 20 games. He's crazy good with Danault and Moore. I also would like to station Kaliyev on the right circle on the second power play. I think that’s the right situation to find out if Kaliyev is a keeper.

I don't think the Kings should trade Kaliyev until mid season 2024-25 at the earliest. There's a ton of potential, but he won't reach it with Lizotte.
I agree with your sentiment, but unfortunately this management group could have done that last year and now it feels like relationship is beyond repair and at his lowest value.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
We have heard Mark Yannetti say multiple times the organization had big hand in screwing up relationship with Cernak, to the point of not being able to repair.

Yeah, that was all on Dean and Sutter. He wasn't tough enough for them and because he used the word "scared" after his first few games against men. They wrote him off as soft and not a "Sutter" type of guy. But we kept Gravel instead. 👍 Talk about shortsightedness.

Reactions: KingsOfCali25

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Yeah, that was all on Dean and Sutter. He wasn't tough enough for them and because he used the word "scared" after his first few games against men. They wrote him off as soft and not a "Sutter" type of guy. But we kept Gravel instead. 👍 Talk about shortsightedness.
Meh, cant win them all, it would be nice if Blake could just win one.

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
Funny, pre-mileage Cernak seemed to be a solid SAH Defensemen from what I read. That snub might’ve put an extra chip on his shoulder.

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
Outside of Doughty, Cernak was the best of the group of young dmen drafted by DL. Just a bad trade anyway you look at it.
Voynov was taken the same 2008 draft as Doughty.

Kaliyev trade? Would be good if the Kings could get a 2nd rd pick, or package him.

For lack of King news and traveling so much last 5 days..Kuala Lumpur, Phuket and Bangkok. Sitting in planes, taxis, airports, hotels leads imagination / hallucinations to mock deals. And an angry monkey in some cave shrine shrieking at me, led me to this

Brady Tkachuk, Jakob Chychrun, #2 2024
For
PLD (20% retained) Clarke, Kaliyev, #1 2024

The Clarke in the Az Chychrun package didn’t happen, but happens here. I probably wouldn’t do this. Just like I’ve passed on eating scorpions and some fermented fish paste delicacy.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles

Kaliyev trade? Would be good if the Kings could get a 2nd rd pick, or package him.

For lack of King news and traveling so much last 5 days..Kuala Lumpur, Phuket and Bangkok. Sitting in planes, taxis, airports, hotels leads imagination / hallucinations to mock deals. And an angry monkey in some cave shrine shrieking at me, led me to this

For

The Clarke in the Az Chychrun package didn’t happen, but happens here. I probably wouldn’t do this. Just like I’ve passed on eating scorpions and some fermented fish paste delicacy.
I’d go into any trade saying the only players you can’t have is Byfield and Clarke. If they want Kempe for Tkachuk you do it. If they want Fiala instead, you do it.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Alnefelt or second round draft pick
Oh wow. I'm over here like "They're gonna want Cirelli aren't they?" because this isn't anything like Jeannot. Fella scored like 18 of his 24 goals on tips and sheer "Bears double doink" levels of dumb luck. I watched him for 5 minutes and said "Oh crap" and 5 minutes of Kaliyev was "Put him on a line with Stamkos and Hagel"

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I'm really glad we've learned from management, who traded Faber for Fiala and Vilardi for PLD, and now people want to trade Clarke for Chychrun.

Wonder why BLuc keeps feeling comfortable selling off younger players for older band aids.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
I'm really glad we've learned from management, who traded Faber for Fiala and Vilardi for PLD, and now people want to trade Clarke for Chychrun.

Wonder why BLuc keeps feeling comfortable selling off younger players for older band aids.
That was my first thought too but...I think it's more that Tkachuk is also in that trade which made me THINK about it.

Reactions: funky and Lt Dan

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023

For

i think blake needs an angry shrieking monkey to inspire him as it did you here. the monkey would be good in blake's pressers as well- we could throw lemons at the monkey and at least get some laughs out of it

I'm curious. Where are you guys at with Turcotte?
im at he needs to find a new career before whats left of his brain is turned to cream of wheat. i hope for the best healthy future for the young man.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Meh, cant win them all, it would be nice if Blake could just win one.

Blake makes mistakes every year that are significantly worse than the Cernak trade, that is what is really scary.

PLD trade, Fiala trade, Turcotte pick override, Danault signing (ending rebuild), not trading Roy, Stevens and TMac hires, Cal P signing.

It’s wild if you compare his whiffs to his hits, and then think there are still a couple here that after 7 seasons of misery are still on the Blake train.

Well I think many things can be taken from that trade proposal.

The Kings would be getting the best asset by a pretty large margin. Tkachuk is a proven offensive producer with intangibles, leadership and grit. Something the Kings don't have much of at all, and certainly not in the Top 6.

A negative asset would be going to Ottawa, with only 20% retention. Almost every other PLD proposal has 50% retention

Due to the ridiculous development decisions on Clarke, he probably doesn't have the type of value he would have if he had been coming off playing 82 games in the NHL, like he would have for probably every other team in the league.

It's tough because Blake's inept management has painted the Kings into a corner, the team was constructed to win before Kopitar/Doughty retire and this trade increases those chances from something like 1% to probably 5%. You still have garbage goaltending, no #1 C but at least you have Kopitar/Kempe, Byfield/Tkachuk and Danault/Moore and that gives you a respectable 3 scoring lines.

That is why this situation to me is worse than any time I can remember as a Kings fan. You can't undo the terrible trades, you can't undo that between 2017-2019 drafts the Kings had a ton of picks and end will end up with a #3 d-man, a #6 d-man and two 4th liners to show for it. Even if you keep Byfield and Clarke and Blake is sent to Saint Helena following this season, by the time a new GM fixes this total disaster those guys will be in their mid 20's at the earliest. I think people here still understate the damage that Rob Blake and Luc Robitaille have done to this franchise.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad