Proposal: Habs and Devils

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Just reading the proposal, I knew it would be badly received - outside of Montreal, Xhekaj seems to be seen as a 6th D goon, whereas many Habs fans see his as a potential physically dominant top-4, and Anderson, for all his faults and exagerated salary, is still a useful physical winger, but is seen as a horrible cap anchor.

That being said, I'm not sure the value is there for NJ here - Xhekaj probably has lower value than Romanov did, still roughly similar to Winnipeg's first (ie, 26th), but not enough to be the main asset to get #10.
Seen as #6 defenseman but he frequently comes as a trade target.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Anderson and Palat are nullifiers. Both have 3 years left and neither one of them had great seasons last year. Similar term/AAV. Devils have been rumored to offer a 1st for Anderson so they obviously like him and see it as a team need.

Xhekaj and Avs 2nd = 10th OA. Xhekaj has Romanov value IMO (and more) and Romanov was traded for the 13th OA pick.

I'm not that desperate to trade Xhekaj. You may think so but this guy is not easy to have on the trade table. He could make us look like a fool for trading but it is the 10th pick the Devils are trading in this trade proposal. Got to give to get.

Xhekaj and Anderson does fit the team needs the Devils are after.
Screen Shot 2024-06-20 at 11.18.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-06-20 at 11.18.38 AM.png

One of these things is not like the other

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
You have quoted Pierre Lebrun here. Can you source this quote, please? I can't seem to find this claim anywhere.

Earlier in this thread you offered a link that you claimed was Pierre Lebrun talking about the Devils interest in Josh Anderson, but you either didn't bother to read the link, or you were deliberately misleading people because LeBrun didn't even mention Anderson at all.
The tweet from LeBrun is gone however there are several secondary sources from January 2023 like this:

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Why do fans have a problem with just chatting in disagreements? Look at your behaver and others as well? I can deal with a disagreement but grow up with how you disagree.

I don't care about overwhelmingly negative feedback. 90% of these trades are perceived this way. Truth is not some internet popular bandwagon. Look at Dubois... most fans like you said the Kings are stuck and will have to buy out or retain 50%. Wrong!

This is not some wild outrageous context: You can disagree which is fair but just grow up with how you disagree. Learn to talk and communicate, not yell and belittle.

* Anderson/Palat are nullifiers
* Xhekaj = Romanov = 13th = Xhekaj/Avs 2nd = 10th.

Xhekaj is not just some bottom pairing depth guy. He's got way more value than that bud. This is a real debate that does not deserve a thread derail of BS comments.

If the situation was reversed and you were trading a piece like Xhekaj, you would speak in reverse when others devalue him. Use words like Ridiculous. :nod:
Xhekaj plays 15 minutes a night, Romanov played 21, Guhle plays 21. Xhekaj+2nd does not fetch 10th overall lmao

Palat CLEARS anderson

Nah, Palat and Anderson have equal value. Team left is the same and AAV is close. Anderson and Palat should not be a derail. I believe Lebrun when he said... "I can assure you a 1st was offered for Anderson". Lebrun would not go out of his way to say something like that. The Devils do make sense for me but that's not a fact. But I do have confidence a 1st was added. Regardless, this is about Palat/Anderson as a nullifier. You're getting all caught up with a 1st from before and the 10th OA is compared to Xhekaj and Avs 2nd.

Xhekaj has Romanov value and Romanov was traded for the 13th. Xhekaj/Avs 2nd is not far off from the 10th. No team is going to offer a Guhle for a unknown 10th that could hit and be equal to Guhle or bust. Sens would easily offer you Chychrun though... pending UFA. Maybe you can do sign/trade.

I feel both Anderson and Xhekaj fit to what the Devils GM is after at LD and in the top 6/top 9.
NJD needs a shutdown, disciplined, quality PK LD, who can play the hard minutes alongside marinno

Arber Xhekaj is atrocious defensively, the least disciplined player in hockey, and can't kill penalties, while requiring the easiest minutes in hockey.

Reactions: Smitty426

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Literally nothing I want from the Habs. Which isn't to say they don't have great or good players but the teams are bad trade partners. Devils need checking forwards with size, experience and a strong cycle game. And they need a solid defensive LHD.

Matheson's numbers are trending down, plus I doubt they want to move him given the kind of minutes he plays. No interest in Xhekaj and his mediocre defensive play. For the same reason I don't want Zadorov - the hits are anecdotal, the remaining 90% of ice time, you're losing the puck.
Is down the new up? Mike Matheson Career Stats - NHL - ESPN

Reactions: pth2

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
I understand Devils fans not liking this trade, but what are the Canadiens to do for team toughness if this trade were to happen? Hope everyone is scared of Michael Pezzetta? Have Juraj Slafkovsky become a goon? Rush Florian Xhekaj to the NHL?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I mean...you can only really look at the past when comparing stats. I'd also argue that Anderson's physical style might be taking more of a toll on him, negating the age difference.

Also not sure if that last line is directed at me, as I specifically wrote "Both probably have negative value at their current deals and the value is not far off" so I'm not the one going with anything close to that supposed narrative.
Not directed specifically at you no.

As far as the physical style taking a toll on him. You didn't watch him play (I don't blame you, I wouldn't watch bottom teams either unless they have Bedard or somethign) to come up with this conclusion. Anderson still skates like the wind and hit like a truck. He was snake bitten to start the year.

Basically playing well but hitting post, big saves, etc for half the year. Then Slafkovsky got promoted at his expense. The rest of the year he played with AHLers and seemed depress. He's not worth his contract, but he's still a decent hockey player.

The tweet from LeBrun is gone however there are several secondary sources from January 2023 like this:

No chance after this season. Before that he was averaging 20g a year for the Habs while bringing speed and grit. Not the perfect player by any means but a good contributor.

Last year was simply terrible.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
No chance after this season. Before that he was averaging 20g a year for the Habs while bringing speed and grit. Not the perfect player by any means but a good contributor.

Last year was simply terrible.
It's not about the value, there are people now who doubt LeBrun ever came up with this.

Reactions: jfhabs

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Probably another one that gets shot down but chat away...

Xhekaj, Anderson, Avs 2nd
for
10th OA, Palat

Anderson and Palat both have 3 years left. Anderson brings in some size/skating/grit and there were rumors of the Devils offering a 1st for Anderson prior to last year. I'm not that excited about taking on Palat but he's only there to even out the cap.

Xhekaj may be an easy target to devalue but this guy is one I have a hard time putting on the table in a trade. Only 95 NHL games and his nasty physical side is exactly what you want in the playoffs. All he is missing is maturity/experience and one more complete season might do that. He could make the Habs look like fools for trading before we know how good he is. Some are saying he is a bottom pairing guy only but others see his top 4 physical presence.

Chatter I am hearing is the Devils are after size/skating/grit in their top 6 or top 9 and a LD.
It’s not about devaluing him. On what planet is he anywhere near being worth a 10oa pick? This is really bad for NJ. I know a lot of Hans fans feel like they’re picked on for overvaluing their players, but this is one of the main reasons why. The guy hasn’t done anything to warrant a high pick like that.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
It’s not about devaluing him. On what planet is he anywhere near being worth a 10oa pick? This is really bad for NJ. I know a lot of Hans fans feel like they’re picked on for overvaluing their players, but this is one of the main reasons why. The guy hasn’t done anything to warrant a high pick like that.
For the record this was also posted on the Habs board and was universally criticized so don’t chalk this one up to “Habs fans” please

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
this deal is so bad for the devils. #6/7 dman, a late 2nd, and cap dump for 10oa and an overpaid palat.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Why do fans have a problem with just chatting in disagreements? Look at your behaver and others as well? I can deal with a disagreement but grow up with how you disagree.

I don't care about overwhelmingly negative feedback. 90% of these trades are perceived this way. Truth is not some internet popular bandwagon. Look at Dubois... most fans like you said the Kings are stuck and will have to buy out or retain 50%. Wrong!

This is not some wild outrageous context: You can disagree which is fair but just grow up with how you disagree. Learn to talk and communicate, not yell and belittle.

* Anderson/Palat are nullifiers
* Xhekaj = Romanov = 13th = Xhekaj/Avs 2nd = 10th.

Xhekaj is not just some bottom pairing depth guy. He's got way more value than that bud. This is a real debate that does not deserve a thread derail of BS comments.

If the situation was reversed and you were trading a piece like Xhekaj, you would speak in reverse when others devalue him. Use words like Ridiculous. :nod:
Let's discuss Guhle and our 10OA then!

Reactions: Devilsfan118

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Seems insulting because most fans don't know Xhekaj's potential. Several teams have knocked on the door about him over the last year. He's got more value than most realize.
I think the issue here is that even with an optimistic yet realistic appraisal of Xhekaj's value (which I place as the same as Winnipeg's 1st), and even if Anderson and Palat are seen as equivalent, the trade value favors the Habs.

This of course doesn't justify the devalueing game that tends to happen when anyone is offered anything in exchange for a prized asset like a high 1st.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Any time you can move a top 10 pick to get a mediocre bottom pairing D and a doofus that skates in a straight line that only provides value when scoring some goals (coming off 9 in 78 games), you have to pull the trigger.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think the issue here is that even with an optimistic yet realistic appraisal of Xhekaj's value (which I place as the same as Winnipeg's 1st), and even if Anderson and Palat are seen as equivalent, the trade value favors the Habs.

This of course doesn't justify the devalueing game that tends to happen when anyone is offered anything in exchange for a prized asset like a high 1st.

It's opinion driven on future growth vs where they are today. Happens all the time. Not like this matters in terms of facts but I have seen some articles that said if we trade Xhekaj, we better get something around the 10-13th pick. I thought that before I read the article so that tells me I'm not he only one who thinks it.

Trading Xhekaj for a late 1st is dumb. Devils fans don't like high value on Xhekaj but that doesn't mean what GM's think and even with NHL GM's, I think that value would vary.

I'm comfortable with this evaluation but I do know how things age. Could make me look very bad or very good. I can see both sides but other fans refuse to see two sides. Same ones who thought Dubois was going to be bought out or traded with 50% retention. Now today, those fans who were aggressive with their opinions will hide in the shadows like cowards.

Any time you can move a top 10 pick to get a mediocre bottom pairing D and a doofus that skates in a straight line that only provides value when scoring some goals (coming off 9 in 78 games), you have to pull the trigger.

Not a mediocre bottom pairing D though. He's got more potential than that. Harris is a mediocre bottom pairing D. There is a big difference on where we see Harris in the future and where Xhekaj could be. Once he reaches top 4D (if he does), he's worth more than the 10th OA pick.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The actual physical reaction I have when just seeing a thread title of a Habs and Devils proposal on this board cannot be healthy

Nobody gives a shit about your physical reaction. But you are on a party wagon with a bunch of people and think you are all talking facts so I can't blame you too much.

There is less respectful conversations (even in disagreements) than there are with genuine conversations. Most trades proposed on these boards are not received well. You see a lot of... this is the worse one yet. The culture here is to belittle and play got cha game.

Xhekaj is not some mediocre bottom pairing D. Habs are not allowed to have nice things. He's being treated like he is Harris. Hugh difference between these two.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Nobody gives a shit about your physical reaction. But you are on a party wagon with a bunch of people and think you are all talking facts so I can't blame you too much.

There is less respectful conversations (even in disagreements) than there are with genuine conversations. Most trades proposed on these boards are not received well. You see a lot of... this is the worse one yet. The culture here is to belittle and play got cha game.

Xhekaj is not some mediocre bottom pairing D. Habs are not allowed to have nice things. He's being treated like he is Harris. Hugh difference between these two.
I never commented on your proposal, my guy.

I'm sorry I triggered you

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I would understand the frustration if Devils fans were clamoring for Xhekaj and then talking him down (i.e. what happens with Necas and Zegras).

Much of the Xhekaj conversation is generated by Habs fans! Frankly, given his undrafted pedigree and sub 100 game sample of NHL play on a terrible team, he’s off the radar for most on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad