Proposal: Habs and Devils

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Seems insulting because most fans don't know Xhekaj's potential. Several teams have knocked on the door about him over the last year. He's got more value than most realize.
Let this sink in. The guy could not crack a bottom-feeding NHL lineup for most of the year. When most of us have seen him play, he looks like a #6 d-man at best. He's 23. Tell me why, as a Devils GM, you would even entertain the thought of parting with #10 with this guy as the centerpiece of the deal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Let this sink in. The guy could not crack a bottom-feeding NHL lineup for most of the year. When most of us have seen him play, he looks like a #6 d-man at best. He's 23. Tell me why, as a Devils GM, you would even entertain the thought of parting with #10 with this guy as the centerpiece of the deal.

95 NHL games. It's called development.

Let this sink in. Your post proves to me that you know little about Xhekaj's potential. You're ignorant with Xhekaj. Acting like an authority with lack of knowledge.

I bet you think 10th OA = Guhle. You get to add a sure shot hit who is young and in the NHL under team control. Do you know what the 10th is? It's a chance to get someone like Guhle or not (bust/disappointment). But in your head, you think it's a sure shot hit on a top 4D or a top 6F.

Xhekaj/Avs 2nd = 10th OA. This is not far fetched. You can say no and I respect that but go ahead and try to devalue Xhekaj.... just don't be surprised that it's defended.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If a team did, Anderson wouldn’t be Hab. If other GM turned that down, he should be sued for malpractice.

I’ll give you 70 cents for a dollar. What is there to chat about?

Do you think Lebrun went out of his way to say this but it was false? "I can assure you a 1st was offered for Anderson". Do you agree or not that he said this? If you agree, you should change your tune because you are wrong. Lebrun would not go out of his way to say something like that and he likely said it because he sees fans like you say what you just said. Prior to this past season, Anderson had more than just some 20+ 1st round value. In this trade, Palat/Anderson are nullifiers. I'm not asking for a 1st for Anderson in this trade package but many of you are getting distracted

This is about Xhekaj primarily. I do think he has Romanov and more trade value. And no, I'm not desperately shopping him. I value his size/grit/nasty type game and he's very mobile for a big guy. This is valued in the NHL and he has 95 NHL games. He's not some 3rd pairing depth guy. That is just not accurate.

He's not a top-4 D worth the 10th overall pick...how is this a real debate? Even habs fans have said your value is way off here.

Well he is a rare big guy with mobility and has a nasty side to his game. 95 NHL games and he does have top 4D potential. That is the debate. I believe he has Romanov value and more.

So because you and others disagree, it's a fact that he is not? :laugh:. You are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Do you think Lebrun went out of his way to say this but it was false? "I can assure you a 1st was offered for Anderson". Do you agree or not that he said this? If you agree, you should change your tune because you are wrong. Lebrun would not go out of his way to say something like that and he likely said it because he sees fans like you say what you just said.

This is about Xhekaj primarily. I do think he has Romanov and more trade value. And no, I'm not desperately shopping him. I value his size/grit/nasty type game and he's very mobile for a big guy. This is valued in the NHL and he has 95 NHL games. He's not some 3rd pairing depth guy. That is just not accurate.
I believe he said it. I believe somebody in the Habs org told him as much. I do not believe that they were ever offered a first. Otherwise, Anderson wouldn't still be a Hab.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I believe he said it. I believe somebody in the Habs org told him as much. I do not believe that they were ever offered a first. Otherwise, Anderson wouldn't still be a Hab.

So you believe Lebrun said it but he lied or was fooled? The Habs told him to say it and he went with it. That kind of logic make me want to end the conversation with you. You're reaching bud

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Well he is a rare big guy with mobility and has a nasty side to his game. 95 NHL games and he does have top 4D potential. That is the debate.

So because you and others disagree, it's a fact that he is not? :laugh:
What potential is left? He's never scored at a high level...what else is there for him to do? Fight more? Hit more? He is what he is.

What has he shown that he can become a legit top-4 guy?

Just because a player is younger...does't mean they have sky high potential (especially a top-10 pick). Henry Thrun looks decent for the Sharks....I wouldn't even expect a 1st rounder for him in a trade. That's just being realistic.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What potential is left? He's never scored at a high level...what else is there for him to do? Fight more? Hit more? He is what he is.

What has he shown that he can become a legit top-4 guy?

Just because a player is younger...does't mean they have sky high potential (especially a top-10 pick). Henry Thrun looks decent for the Sharks....I wouldn't even expect a 1st rounder for him in a trade. That's just being realistic.

He's more than just a fighter. He has great mobility for a big guy and the Habs have a very young D with challenges with our pairings.

When Xhekaj gets to top 4D, he's going to be worth more than the 10th OA pick.

Reactions: Chr1s97

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And this is where you're way, way off.

I figured so. I'm not stupid but I do have my own opinion on Xhekaj's value. I'm seeing a lot of .... he's just a fighter and a 3rd pairing depth guy. Sure, yeah, that's where we played him in his development years and he has 95 NHL games.

Bookmark it as I'm sure many of you will. What you going to say if he turns into a top 4D physical stud who is intimating. Are you going to admit you were wrong or go hide in the shadows? I can assure you I will admit fault if I end up wrong.

Devils are not getting a Guhle type with the 10th OA pick. Once a team has that young asset under RFA control, you don't trade it for the 10th pick and hope you hit with an equal talent. Xhekaj is on the cusp of top 4D so you could possibly get him now but if he does turn into top 4D, forget about getting someone like him after it.

Some fans seen Xhekaj go to the AHL at the begging of the season but don't know the waivers exempt strategy the Habs had to use to avoid loosing others on waivers.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
He's more than just a fighter. He has great mobility for a big guy and the Habs have a very young D with challenges with our pairings.

I understand...but you still haven't given any reasons as to why he's worth the 10th overall (let alone more) pick.

What does the Habs having a young D have to do with anything???

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ

Then perhaps you'd be wise trying to suggest a trade with him involved 3-4 years from now for a lottery pick.

Because right now he's probably more worth a 2nd round pick, tops. And even that I'm not sure I'd do.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I understand...but you still haven't given any reasons as to why he's worth the 10th overall (let alone more) pick.

What does the Habs having a young D have to do with anything???

I did, I believe he is on Romanov's path and he returned the 13th. I think big boys that have mobility and physical strength like this are very rare to acquire. I also believe the rumors are true that several GM's called Hughes this past season to acquire. I believe GM's would love to add a piece like this.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Devils fans, don’t you remember the desperation we had to try to acquire any kind of high end asset in the early stages of the rebuild?

It sucks going through a rebuild and we know just as much as anyone (if not more) how low the lows can be.

That being said there have been fans of a few select teams over the past few seasons that target our current assets they feel are expendable and constantly throw out trade proposals that don’t really help the Devils as much as their team.

So while I think maybe some of us can go a little easier on some of these proposals (myself included) some of you should understand why Devils fans can get a little defensive.

It’s been a long time since we’ve been good. Took a long time and a lot of losing to acquire these assets. So we may be a little protective of them.

We’re ready to win again and any proposal that favors the other team is not going to be very well received.

Reactions: CanadienShark

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Then perhaps you'd be wise trying to suggest a trade with him involved 3-4 years from now for a lottery pick.

Because right now he's probably more worth a 2nd round pick, tops. And even that I'm not sure I'd do.

Well, I was trying to address the top 6/top 8 physical big skater need and the LD physical need the Devils have. Also trying to address the Habs needs. There is a 7 year gap from Suzuki to Reinbacher. 8 year gap from Suzuki to the guys in the next draft. I'm trying to assemble a core within 8 years. Waiting longer spreads it out too much.

Who else could be a young LD target for the Devils with the 10th OA pick? I'm curious to see this list. Can we assemble a possible list to see what the Devils fans expectations are? If you list guys like Guhle, you are reaching just like you are criticizing me of reaching with Xhekaj. But you could get Chychrun on a sign/trade though.

Doesn't look like many Devils fans are high on Xhekaj. I'm OK with that because my opening line was it's likely another trade that gets shot down. Lets see how this one ages.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

If he becomes one, which is still a big if. I believe that Romanov had shown much more prior to being traded. A mid-late 1st is probably the high end value for Xhekaj right now and that's optimistic. He's a player that I'd personally like to keep. I really like him and his potential, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. And if he does live up to his potential, then I'm certainly not looking to move him for anything close to fair value.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.gif

Reactions: Devilsfan118

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Devils fans, by the end of this thread you will be convinced or at least have it beaten into you, that Josh Anderson is the ideal power forward you are missing and that Xhekaj is your best hope to have a Norris winner.

It would be best if you just accept this early.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Seems insulting because most fans don't know Xhekaj's potential. Several teams have knocked on the door about him over the last year. He's got more value than most realize.
It's insulting because you clearly have no understanding of wants, needs, or value.

-Why does New Jersey need to dump Palat? They have 16M in cap space with only 1 notable RFA and 0 notable UFAs to re-sign.

-What's the point in paying to dump an overpaid forward just to replace him with a a different, worse overpaid forward?

-If New Jersey is really after physicality like you claim, why did they just trade the defenseman who was 2nd on the team in hits last year? Why are they letting the guy who was #1 on the team in hits walk as UFA?

-How was a guy who was demoted to the AHL last year and has zero offensive talent whatsoever even close to the value of a top-10 pick? And if he is a top-4 defensemen, why are you trading him?

-Even if he is as good as you say: Why is New Jersey, a team in their Cup window, adding a young and immature defenseman who by your own admission is still developing? Especially when they can just, you know, draft a better player at 10th overall and develop him instead?

-Why does NJ need to get a young defenseman specifically? They're already spent the majority of the season with a 19 year old and a 20 year old on their NHL defense, that was kind of the problem last year. They are the 6th youngest team in the league, almost as young as MTL (4th).

-If you think New Jersey wants to get younger, then why are you throwing old, slow 30 year old Josh Anderson into the deal?

I'm sorry but you're grossly exaggerating the value of your teams assets and willfully ignoring the other team involved.

If you want to make a proposal that won't make Devils fans angry, try listening to us when we tell you that we don't want what you're selling and maybe stop making your proposals based on "lots of chatter," whatever that means.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Probably another one that gets shot down but chat away...

Xhekaj, Anderson, Avs 2nd
for
10th OA, Palat

Anderson and Palat both have 3 years left. Anderson brings in some size/skating/grit and there were rumors of the Devils offering a 1st for Anderson prior to last year. I'm not that excited about taking on Palat but he's only there to even out the cap.

Xhekaj may be an easy target to devalue but this guy is one I have a hard time putting on the table in a trade. Only 95 NHL games and his nasty physical side is exactly what you want in the playoffs. All he is missing is maturity/experience and one more complete season might do that. He could make the Habs look like fools for trading before we know how good he is. Some are saying he is a bottom pairing guy only but others see his top 4 physical presence.

Chatter I am hearing is the Devils are after size/skating/grit in their top 6 or top 9 and a LD.

This is so bad it almost feels like it's a parody, like it's someone mocking Canadiens fans and their trade proposals.

This is absolutely hilarious!

I think my favourite part is after just completely ripping off the Devils he adds that he's "not excited" to take on Palat! Like, oh man, this is a tough decision, but I guess I'm okay with this trade!

Holy crap is this ever funny!

Just because your GM said so doesn't make it true.

Kent Hughes never claimed the Devils offered a 1st round pick for Anderson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad