Proposal: JVR + Nylander for Ekblad

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Matthews is far more highly thought of as a prospect than Ekblad was. Not sure why this is so shocking.

That being the key word, bud Ekblad is no longer a prospect he has proven he can play and produce at an NHL level. That is what makes him more valuable. Not sure how this is hard to understand.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
So a lottery ticket had more value than a proven commodity? As good as Rielly is he is not Ekblad either.

No, Reilly is not even close to Ekblad, but the argument was based on NHL experience. The problem is if you apply that to other examples it's obvious that unproven players CAN have more value than proven players. It's just about where you draw the line.

To me Matthews has the upside to be a top 5 player in the world. Personally I don't feel Ekblad has that, others might. I value Matthews more.

But this thread is ridiculous and will only serve to have people tearing down amazing players. I feel bad for contributing.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Cost of Ekblad would ultimately not be worth it. Seriously 3 core/future core players and our 1st that could be Patrick or Liljegren? Nope. No player is worth gutting a team over. This isn't basketball.

Leafs would have Ekblad and no one of note for him to play with. The rebuild would have to start all over again.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
Matthews is far more highly thought of as a prospect than Ekblad was. Not sure why this is so shocking.

Except Ekblad in just 2 years has already established himself as a top defencemen in the league. That is incredibly hard to do at a young age especially for defencemen, even hedman too longer. Not saying hes top 10 yet but hes getting there. Matthews still hasnt played a game. Both teams dont move these players anyway

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Some of these replies... I did literally say 'obviously this deal won't happen' so more discussing value than making a proposal but I get that some people just log on here to get offended.

Nylander + JVR project to be a safe bet to combined for 60 goals a year, Nylander (although I personally prefer him on the wing) might just end up being a 1C. Also can't think of any 1D that has brought more return back in a trade.

I get that Florida doesn't make this deal but the counter of 'it's takes Matthews....' lol, Matthews looks to be the 1st elite C drafted 1st OA in Leafs history, his value eclipses Ekblad's. Defensemen like Ekblad play a game that can fall off at any point in his career, i.e. Tyler Myers, Shea Weber (to a lesser degree but his shine is wearing off), 1Cs though? Horses you be on all day.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
It would take Matthews, and if not him Rielly + Marner/Nylander + 2017 1st or something along those lines. My god, a top pairing of Ekblad and Rielly would be the best in the league in a couple years.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
Toronto would have to offer an uncomfortable amount of value to get Ekblad. JVR + Nylander is not going to cut it

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Ekblad is knocking on the doorstep of being a top 10 valued asset in the NHL.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Some of these replies... I did literally say 'obviously this deal won't happen' so more discussing value than making a proposal but I get that some people just log on here to get offended.

Nylander + JVR project to be a safe bet to combined for 60 goals a year, Nylander (although I personally prefer him on the wing) might just end up being a 1C. Also can't think of any 1D that has brought more return back in a trade.

I get that Florida doesn't make this deal but the counter of 'it's takes Matthews....' lol, Matthews looks to be the 1st elite C drafted 1st OA in Leafs history, his value eclipses Ekblad's. Defensemen like Ekblad play a game that can fall off at any point in his career, i.e. Tyler Myers, Shea Weber (to a lesser degree but his shine is wearing off), 1Cs though? Horses you be on all day.

So Ekblads game could fall off at any point, but Matthews is a lock to be a top player in the league, even after not playing a single game yet? Yeesh. Matthews is a great prospect who the Leafs should be really excited about. But let's slow down with the crazy talk.

The reason you can't think of a 1D that brought back more in a trade is because they are so infrequently traded. The most recent was Pronger I guess, and that was a 30 year old + Pronger being traded. That's not a 20 year old 1D who has realistically, no where to go but up.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
No, Reilly is not even close to Ekblad, but the argument was based on NHL experience. The problem is if you apply that to other examples it's obvious that unproven players CAN have more value than proven players. It's just about where you draw the line.

To me Matthews has the upside to be a top 5 player in the world. Personally I don't feel Ekblad has that, others might. I value Matthews more.

But this thread is ridiculous and will only serve to have people tearing down amazing players. I feel bad for contributing.

So without seeing a single NHL game for Matthews yet, would you give Matthews a contract of 8 years at 7.5 million per tomorrow?

Or wait, you said Matthews more right? So lets make that 8 million at 8 years tomorrow, just for arguements sake.

I think Matthews is very impressive. But at this point, Ekblad AS WELL as Matthews are being overrated as they are being judged on their projections vs reality.

Ekblad is projected to be a perennial Norris candidate and has been compared to the likes of Lidstrom, does not mean that is what Ekblad is right now.

Matthews is being valued as a top 5 center in the league. But in reality? ****, he hasnt played a damn game :laugh:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
So without seeing a single NHL game for Matthews yet, would you give Matthews a contract of 8 years at 7.5 million per tomorrow?

Or wait, you said Matthews more right? So lets make that 8 million at 8 years tomorrow, just for arguements sake.

Uh, no. Because the CBA rules allow us to pay him much less to start his career. Good reminder of another reason I value him higher.

Ekblad is projected to be a perennial Norris candidate and has been compared to the likes of Lidstrom, does not mean that is what Ekblad is right now.

If you're comparing Ekblad to the greatest defenseman to ever play the game than I'm starting to see why we disagree.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Uh, no. Because the CBA rules allow us to pay him much less to start his career. Good reminder of another reason I value him higher.

If you're comparing Ekblad to the greatest defenseman to ever play the game than I'm starting to see why we disagree.

Dont bring the CBA into this. This was a question to you and simply to you. Not CBA related.

And I didnt make the comparison. Barry Trotz did.

http://thecomeback.com/puckdrunklov...-aaron-ekblad-to-hall-of-fame-defensemen.html

Your head coach didnt totally dismiss the comparison either

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/27/panthers-aaron-ekblad-is-only-getting-started

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
So Ekblads game could fall off at any point, but Matthews is a lock to be a top player in the league, even after not playing a single game yet? Yeesh. Matthews is a great prospect who the Leafs should be really excited about. But let's slow down with the crazy talk.

The reason you can't think of a 1D that brought back more in a trade is because they are so infrequently traded. The most recent was Pronger I guess, and that was a 30 year old + Pronger being traded. That's not a 20 year old 1D who has realistically, no where to go but up.

I'd point to the can't miss trust in Matthews as a 1st OA prospect and Ekblad was in play and seen as a weak 1st OA pick going into the draft. Clearly Ekblad's stock has skyrocketed but let's be honest the burden of 1D proving him year in year out is more suspect than a 1C.

Pronger was traded twice, Weber and Subban traded, Phaneuf (who at Ekblad's point in his career was a Norris runner up)... there is an exception, PMDs are safe bets to have longevity but there was only one Chris Pronger and who knows how he'd be in today's speed game.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Dont bring the CBA into this. This was a question to you and simply to you. Not CBA related.

And I didnt make the comparison. Barry Trotz did.

http://thecomeback.com/puckdrunklov...-aaron-ekblad-to-hall-of-fame-defensemen.html

Your head coach didnt totally dismiss the comparison either

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/27/panthers-aaron-ekblad-is-only-getting-started

Matthews play over the next 8 years will likely be worth 8/64, sure. But thankfully owners work hard to hold down salaries of young players so we have a couple of years before we'll have to pay that.

Why would I care what my coach thinks? He prefers Weber and Bouwmeester to Subban and Letang, I don't blindly follow his opinions on defensemen.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Okay? Does Rielly have more value than Matthews to you? Because he doesn't to me.

In what world are we comparing Rielly with Ekblad, Ekblad is a franchise player just like what Matthews will be. Rielly isn't a franchise player in the least. So saying that as of now Ekblad has just as much value and even more then Matthews isn't being unrealistic Obviously Matthews will have far more value to the Leafs then Morgan Rielly will but Ekblad to Florida has just as much value as Matthews would to Toronto. So neither is getting dealt.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
In what world are we comparing Rielly with Ekblad, Ekblad is a franchise player just like what Matthews will be. Rielly isn't a franchise player in the least. So saying that as of now Ekblad has just as much value and even more then Matthews isn't being unrealistic Obviously Matthews will have far more value to the Leafs then Morgan Rielly will but Ekblad to Florida has just as much value as Matthews would to Toronto. So neither is getting dealt.

Than why was your entire argument about NHL games played when it doesn't apply in that case?

If Matthews can be more valuable than Rielly, than he can be more valuable than other proven players. That can't be the only argument. You have to like Ekblad for reasons more than "he's played NHL games."

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
catch any of the world cup?

Matthews played 21 mins and was on the ice in the last min vs Rus.
oh and the kid hasnt played an NHL game yet.

players the leafs would move Matthews for: Mcdavid...that is all

That would be Matthews +++ if your looking at McDavid.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Matthews play over the next 8 years will likely be worth 8/64, sure. But thankfully owners work hard to hold down salaries of young players so we have a couple of years before we'll have to pay that.

Why would I care what my coach thinks? He prefers Weber and Bouwmeester to Subban and Letang, I don't blindly follow his opinions on defensemen.

Your still avoiding the question. I am asking you if Matthews is worth 8 by 8 without having played a single game as you have said, Matthews has tons of potential over Ekblad. Which is fine, thats your opinion.

And my point was that Ekblad has been compared to Lidstrom and not by me. I am not asking you to care or agree with Babcock or Trotz has said.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Your still avoiding the question. I am asking you if Matthews is worth 8 by 8 without having played a single game as you have said, Matthews has tons of potential over Ekblad. Which is fine, thats your opinion.

I already answered that Matthews will be worth that so I'm not sure what else I can say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad