Proposal: JVR + Nylander for Ekblad

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Why would Florida want JVR and Nylander? Even if you mention Matthews, they already have Barkov. No. 1 dmen are insanely hard to come by.

Moorpheus*

|GERMAN/IDEALISM\
Apr 14, 2015
Leafs fan

Would likely take JVR/Nylander/Rielly/1st considering Eks has potential #1 NHL dman potential.

Or Matthews+1 decent piece or 2 ok pieces

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It certainly was talked about leading into the '14 draft.
1OA for 8OA + 25y/o, 30g JvR

OP wasn't claiming it should be done today. Just merely trying to have some conversation on how the proposal stands up and what needs to change.

I believe that was the leafs offer.. Not the asking price from Florida

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I believe that was the leafs offer.. Not the asking price from Florida

nah, pretty sure that was the panthers ask and the leafs balked
JVR was coming off a 30/30 year and the top of the draft was considered to be weaker than normal.

the leafs may have taken reinhart/bennett in that spot.
would they move JVR + Nylander for either of those guys? not a chance.

EKblad is the only guy at the top of that draft that has that kinda value

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
clearly a leafs fan.

If u wanna talk Ekblad, u gotta offer Matthews + Top 4 D like Rielly/Gardiner.

If Ekblad asked to be traded (the only reason the Panther would trade him) the cost would be something like Reilly+Marner+2nd or Reilly+Nylander+2nd. The difference between Ekblad and Reilly is not Matthews.

Personally I think Matthews looks better than Eichel... so not sure I would even trade Matthews straight across for Ekblad, unless my team was in desperate need for D and I had a fair amount of forward depth.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
EKblad> Rielly at this point.

you dont give up Marner, Nylander and a shot at patrick/liljegren to make up that difference. this isnt Doughty we are talking about.
Mclellan has already said Rielly has been their best player so far.
50 pts with 1st unit PP time this season

You think he can hit 50 this year? I got him at 40-45 myself

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
If Ekblad asked to be traded (the only reason the Panther would trade him) the cost would be something like Reilly+Marner+2nd or Reilly+Nylander+2nd. The difference between Ekblad and Reilly is not Matthews.

Personally I think Matthews looks better than Eichel... so not sure I would even trade Matthews straight across for Ekblad, unless my team was in desperate need for D and I had a fair amount of forward depth.

i agree on eichel part, but the difference b/w rielly is huge and I included Rielly or Gardiner cuz that would be the only way they make this trade is by them getting a top 4 D along Matthews. Sometimes when u want something a certain isnt selling u gotta overpay.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I like you. Arguing with everyone in the discussion. EkblaD is already one best dmen in the league.

If the leafs want Ekblad the discussion starts with Matthews. Remember I am not a panther fan.

and the leafs would politely decline and that would be that. Matthews is giving Mcdavid a run for his money as best forward on NA. I think they are more than happy with what Rielly has done (the last min of the guy was all Morgan) and expect him to grow into a #1Dman.

The difference between Rielly and Ekblad isnt Matthews. thats beyond silly. Thats like the leafs asking for Trouba + Laine for Rielly

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
and the leafs would politely decline and that would be that. Matthews is giving Mcdavid a run for his money as best forward on NA. I think they are more than happy with what Rielly has done (the last min of the guy was all Morgan) and expect him to grow into a #1Dman.

The difference between Rielly and Ekblad isnt Matthews. thats beyond silly. Thats like the leafs asking for Trouba + Laine for Rielly

but arent both Trouba and Laine > Rielly?
It should read:
Thats like the leafs asking for Trouba + Laine for Matthews

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
nah, pretty sure that was the panthers ask and the leafs balked
JVR was coming off a 30/30 year and the top of the draft was considered to be weaker than normal.

the leafs may have taken reinhart/bennett in that spot.
would they move JVR + Nylander for either of those guys? not a chance.

EKblad is the only guy at the top of that draft that has that kinda value

sorry

I believe that is the leaf spin doctors and rewriting of history that offer

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Fair value IMO but it creates a gaping hole on Floridas D while not filling a need elsewhere.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
It would take Mathews to get the conversation started and then TO would have to add enough to make them believe that they are becoming a better team. Trading your #1D for a great prospect doesn't make any team better, it leaves a team with a huge hole in their lineup and that is why it would take much more to get Eckblad.

The Leafs would not propose this deal either, they look like they have a plan and they are going to stick to it.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
sorry

I believe that is the leaf spin doctors and rewriting of history that offer

nope, pretty sure it was Bobby Mac on tsn.

leafs wanted to move up to grab Reinhart/Bennett (finally getting a #1C prospect). The ask was JVR + 8OA. thank god they didnt do it

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
It would take Mathews to get the conversation started and then TO would have to add enough to make them believe that they are becoming a better team. Trading your #1D for a great prospect doesn't make any team better, it leaves a team with a huge hole in their lineup and that is why it would take much more to get Eckblad.

The Leafs would not propose this deal either, they look like they have a plan and they are going to stick to it.

yeah. moving the face of the franchise and trying to sell that to the fan base. leafs fans went crazy when they won the draft lotto.
why would they fill a small hole (another top 4 RHD) by creating a much bigger one (#1C)

Rielly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-?
Marincin-Carrick

no need to make this kinda move. at all

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
To even get Florida to listen to a trade for Ekblad, you'd have to pay for what he could be, then add some, and include a potential replacement. A sane team would never do that, which is why these trades never happen.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
but arent both Trouba and Laine > Rielly?
It should read:

Trouba isnt half the defenseman Rielly is. Unless I am missing an obscure reference, I dont understand how you can even pretend that Trouba is better than Rielly. Literally not at any point of their respective careers and it does not project to be any different.

Laine i can fully understand an argument for being better than Rielly. More valuable? who knows, D is usually more valuable than wingers after all.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Another leafs fans overvaluing their prospects they have nothing Florida would want. Even Matthews, considering they have Barkov.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Gotta get that laine jab in eh leaf fans.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
nope, pretty sure it was Bobby Mac on tsn.

leafs wanted to move up to grab Reinhart/Bennett (finally getting a #1C prospect). The ask was JVR + 8OA. thank god they didnt do it

I'm sure if McKenzie said it back then, not just leaf fans would have heard about it.

Anyway, the deal is crap for Florida, give it a break.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This thread is only going to end up hurting people's feeling.
Florida is not going to trade Ekblad (possible future Captain along with Barkov) any more than Toronto is going to trade Matthews (same as above, insert Rielly).
Nothing offered here is a remote possibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad