Proposal: JVR + Nylander for Ekblad

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Really not a fan of miving Nylander - I think he's got much higher potential than many assume.

I'd rather the Leafs build from within than try quick fixes like this anyways. Even though Florida clearly says no to the deal

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Remember that this was a rumored day on draft day, obviously if it didn't happen then it wouldn't happen today, just wondering how a couple years later this proposal holds up?

JVR + Nylander is a formidable package but players like Ekblad aren't for sale.
Be prepared to be told this in a much more obnoxious way from others.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Remember that this was a rumored day on draft day, obviously if it didn't happen then it wouldn't happen today, just wondering how a couple years later this proposal holds up?

Why on earth would Florida even consider this? If I was Florida GM, I wouldn't.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
is NO ONE reading the op?

I for one remember that exact thread. Apparently Florida was willing to trade down from #1 but wasn't willing to drop down further then 8th.

The belief going into the draft was that gap between 1 to 8 wasn't a big one. Leaf fans wanted to package either kadri or phaneuf with the #7 pick to move up to #1.

Nonis did have conversations with Florida and what was leaked was Florida wanted JVR + #7 for #1. I remember EVERYONE in that thread calling nonis a moron for making that trade cause it was reported to be "in the works" saying florida fleeced toronto etc etc

Nonis pulls out, Florida takes Ekblad #1, Leafs take Nylander#7

When asked about it after the fact, Nonis said the price to move up was to high for him to pay. He said if the draft had a bonfire superstar as #1 like Mackinnon was he would be more inclined to make the trade. Nonis felt, as so did the majority of the scouts and teams that it wasn't a strong year when it comes to the #1 overall pick.

hindsight is 20/20. Ekblad has proven to be a stud and worth the #1 selection. The reason for this thread is to talk about the rumor/trade that didnt happen since the op states this trade wouldnt happen today.

Same thing happened in 09, Tampa had pick #2, Toronto had pick #7

Burke wanted to move up for a chance at Tavares etc. It was reported tampa wanted Kaberle + L. Schenn + 7th to move down from 2nd. At the time it was a huge over payment from the leafs cause L. Schenn coming off a great rookie season as a 18 year old and Kaberle being a puck moving beast.

Hindsight is 20/20 again cause Hedman is a BEAST! Then there was the breakdown with Boston about kessel, pick #7 and kaberle.

Back on topic. I loved Ekblad and still do. Florida did the right thing not settling to trade down and taking him #1

I don't remember the first 8 picks ever being discussed as being on the same tier. Nylander was in the running for 1 OA the year before but the discussion for 1 OA was Ekblad or Reinhart. A few individuals suggested Bennett and then I don't remember him being in discussion for 1 OA after the combine. For some odd reason people soured on him because he only did one pull up or couldn't do one at all. I remember it was heavily favored for Ekblad to be taken first and Reinhart second. Draisaitl was highly regarded but was never on the same tier as the Sams/Ekblad because his footwork. Nylander was placed in that second tier also. I remember seeing rumors on TSn about VAN offering #6, #24, and their 1st round pick the previous year (Shinkaruk) but was turned down by the Panthers. So essentially three first round picks and better position 6OA vs 8OA which may help to get into the first two tiers. Also the Leafs selected 8OA not 7OA.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Plenty? Other than Daige? RNH was called the head of a weak class... plenty? Come on now

Daigle, E Johnson, Patrik Stefan, Roman Hamrlik, DiPietro - all were touted as game changers upon draft. So...5 in the last 23?

Johnson is still a decent player, and hes no where near 'bust' status, but he isn't they player he was touted as. Either way, you are side-stepping the entire point. Draft pick and class aren't relevant to players who are performing exceptionally well in the NHL.

Im sure the Flames are content to keep Bennett over PoolParty, and the same can be said with Edmonton being ok with keeping Drai over PLD.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

I don't remember the rumor, but I'm pretty sure Florida's happy with how it turned out.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
is NO ONE reading the op?

I for one remember that exact thread. Apparently Florida was willing to trade down from #1 but wasn't willing to drop down further then 8th.

The belief going into the draft was that gap between 1 to 8 wasn't a big one. Leaf fans wanted to package either kadri or phaneuf with the #7 pick to move up to #1.

Nonis did have conversations with Florida and what was leaked was Florida wanted JVR + #7 for #1. I remember EVERYONE in that thread calling nonis a moron for making that trade cause it was reported to be "in the works" saying florida fleeced toronto etc etc

Nonis pulls out, Florida takes Ekblad #1, Leafs take Nylander#7

When asked about it after the fact, Nonis said the price to move up was to high for him to pay. He said if the draft had a bonfire superstar as #1 like Mackinnon was he would be more inclined to make the trade. Nonis felt, as so did the majority of the scouts and teams that it wasn't a strong year when it comes to the #1 overall pick.

hindsight is 20/20. Ekblad has proven to be a stud and worth the #1 selection. The reason for this thread is to talk about the rumor/trade that didnt happen since the op states this trade wouldnt happen today.

Same thing happened in 09, Tampa had pick #2, Toronto had pick #7

Burke wanted to move up for a chance at Tavares etc. It was reported tampa wanted Kaberle + L. Schenn + 7th to move down from 2nd. At the time it was a huge over payment from the leafs cause L. Schenn coming off a great rookie season as a 18 year old and Kaberle being a puck moving beast.

Hindsight is 20/20 again cause Hedman is a BEAST! Then there was the breakdown with Boston about kessel, pick #7 and kaberle.

Back on topic. I loved Ekblad and still do. Florida did the right thing not settling to trade down and taking him #1

Thank you, nice to read a fellow veteran of the rumor mill

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Any thread that suggests the leafs move Matthews+ for anything less than McDavid needs to get insta locked

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
I don't remember the first 8 picks ever being discussed as being on the same tier. Nylander was in the running for 1 OA the year before but the discussion for 1 OA was Ekblad or Reinhart. A few individuals suggested Bennett and then I don't remember him being in discussion for 1 OA after the combine. For some odd reason people soured on him because he only did one pull up or couldn't do one at all. I remember it was heavily favored for Ekblad to be taken first and Reinhart second. Draisaitl was highly regarded but was never on the same tier as the Sams/Ekblad because his footwork. Nylander was placed in that second tier also. I remember seeing rumors on TSn about VAN offering #6, #24, and their 1st round pick the previous year (Shinkaruk) but was turned down by the Panthers. So essentially three first round picks and better position 6OA vs 8OA which may help to get into the first two tiers. Also the Leafs selected 8OA not 7OA.

Thank you for the correction. I knew Nylander went 8th must of been a typo. I never said 1 threw 8 was on the same tier, I said scouts and owners believed the drop off of talent from 1 to 8 wasnt a big one. It was never in question that Ekblad was going first, the question was how much better would he be?

The top 8 talks came straight out of florida's camp when they stated they might be willing to trade down but wouldn't drop further then 8th. They felt they would get a great player in that range.

The knock on Ekblad was he was a stud defensively but how good was his offensive game and hockey IQ? Could he be a true #1 dmen insteead of a reliable #2 ala Seabrook? Dmen taken high also makes some feel uncomfortable.

Then you had the sam's right on his tale. One admired for his grit and skill the other for high hockey iq and positioning. Leon is a big bodied centremen with skill which is always in high demand. Dal Colle was a stud who put up great numbers and fleury was the second best option after Ekblad. His hockey sense, skating and size is what teams look for in dmen. Nylander was arguably the best offensive player in the draft and ehlers was drawing comparisons to drouin which was a huge compliment to his game. Richie was in talks as well as a big strong winger who can skate and shoot.

The top 8-9 going in to the 2014 draft was a lot closer grouped then in past drafts. A lot of people thought Ekblad wouldn't be on par with the McDavids, Mackinnons, Hall, etc type of first pick. Ekblad obviously proved all the doubters wrong.

If im Florida, I dont ever trade Ekblad. They obviously feel the same way with the huge contract extension one year prior to his ELC expiring.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

to be fair JVR+pick 8 is a helluva lot better than Shinkaruk (coming off a terrible draft +1), and picks 6 and 24.

5-10 was considered a crapshoot. slight value bump to pick 6, but JVR>>> SHinkaruk and pick 24 (ignoring what those picks turned into)

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
to be fair JVR+pick 8 is a helluva lot better than Shinkaruk (coming off a terrible draft +1), and picks 6 and 24.

5-10 was considered a crapshoot. slight value bump to pick 6, but JVR>>> SHinkaruk and pick 24 (ignoring what those picks turned into)

It was considered 1-8 with a drop off after Ritchie in the projections, Vancouver and Carolina went off the board though and Kapanen sunk like a stone.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Toronto doesn't have what it would take to get Ekblad. Not that they would legitimately offer anyway. And no, it wouldn't be Matthews +. That may be what Florida would demand, but that doesn't make it the price. I don't want to sell my guitar, but telling someone it would take $10,000 doesn't mean it's worth $10,000. It just means it's not for sale.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Any thread that suggests the leafs move Matthews+ for anything less than McDavid needs to get insta locked

This thread isn't about Matthews and what it'd take to get him, though.

Toronto doesn't have what it would take to get Ekblad. Not that they would legitimately offer anyway. And no, it wouldn't be Matthews +. That may be what Florida would demand, but that doesn't make it the price. I don't want to sell my guitar, but telling someone it would take $10,000 doesn't mean it's worth $10,000. It just means it's not for sale.

Well, it means it'd take that for you to start thinking about letting the guitar go. Florida just signed Ek to a great, long-term deal, so it'd take a ridiculous offer to pry him away from the Panthers.

Also, we as fans weren't 100% sure that Ekblad would be the pick, so I'm not sure where some of this concensus talk is coming from.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
As awesome as Ekblad is, and how amazing a top pair of Rielly-Ekblad would be, I wouldn't trade anything significant for him due to the fact that he's already suffered his third concussion by age 20. Too much risk for any team.

If he can go at least 5 years without another one, I'd consider making a trade for him.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
As awesome as Ekblad is, and how amazing a top pair of Rielly-Ekblad would be, I wouldn't trade anything significant for him due to the fact that he's already suffered his third concussion by age 20. Too much risk for any team.

If he can go at least 5 years without another one, I'd consider making a trade for him.

I can see where your coming from but no way the leafs don't trade a significant piece for Ekblad, if they have a chance. By the way the last concussion was considered mild, as someone who has had more than a few mild concussions due to football and rugby its really not that serious.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL

Oh please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad