Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman II - still waiting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Sweeney screwed himself by trading Ullmark before an extension was signed. Swaymans camp has them bent over a barrel.
I still have yet to understand this. How does the presence of Ullmark - a UFA - change Swayman's mind about what he wants long term? Do you really think Swayman takes less because Ullmark is there? Unless your perceived leverage is that we would dangle that we would trade Swayman - how would that make the negotiations go more smoothly?

And that's leaving aside that trading Ullmark would be even more difficult after 7/1, and we'd have to give up one of the two FAs we signed in order to leave space, along with pushing any draft compensation out a year.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
If he actually wants 10 million f him. Go Bussi!!!!!!! Cap room for big adds at the deadline.
I get the point of view regarding the possible ask of $10M and tend to agree. BUT.........

I we go the season with Bussi and Korpisalo, we ain't adding big at the deadline.

Rather, we will be trying to convince a talented bunch of forwards and dmen to take one for the team and tank hard.

Going with a tandem of a guy who's not played one NHL game and a guy who has sucked in the vast majority of NHL games he has played in past five plus years is a poor strategy for winning.

Swayman has the leverage. In fact he is like a proctologist with an amazingly thick and long set of fingers. Hopefully he is gentle.

• Haha
Reactions: BigGoalBrad

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Sweeney screwed himself by trading Ullmark before an extension was signed. Swaymans camp has them bent over a barrel.
Yup Swayman can sit out the season and screw the Bruins chances

I was his agent if they offered him 8 X 8 I’m insulted

Swayman beat the Leafs and almost won two game 7’s and a game 6

I’m glad I now think Swayman is a jerk off ice and can bash away here

• Haha
Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
As a family getting by on a realistic salary, the whole I'm thinking about my family thing bothers me....is there really a big difference between 8-10 M ?

Especially over 8-10 years?
He can only buy 40 houses a year in Anchorage instead of 50? Poor him.

Lets assume worst case scenario and there is no deal. We still can trade him for a first next summer. If Korpisalo isn't horrendous you can trade him too. Bussi plays well and then there is an interesting upcoming UFA goalie. What if Draisaitl refuses to resign in Edmonton don't we want to clear the deck and have room July 1?

Didn't we get a 3rd round pick from Florida for Thomas after he sat out a year for F/F/F?

Will be a bummer but apart from this last playoffs there has been no difference between Swayman and the other goalie on the team.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I still have yet to understand this. How does the presence of Ullmark - a UFA - change Swayman's mind about what he wants long term? Do you really think Swayman takes less because Ullmark is there? Unless your perceived leverage is that we would dangle that we would trade Swayman - how would that make the negotiations go more smoothly?

And that's leaving aside that trading Ullmark would be even more difficult after 7/1, and we'd have to give up one of the two FAs we signed in order to leave space, along with pushing any draft compensation out a year.
Might not change his mind, but it certainly could make a difference, if he is sitting on his ass not playing when the season starts and is not getting a check.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Swayman a) hasn't held out yet b) hasn't negotiated in the press c) has only said positive things about the city and team and how he wants to be here and is lucky to play in Boston and d) we have no idea what he is actually asking for AND YET the pitchforks are already out for him.

Amazing stuff. It's like sharing the board with a bunch of Larry Lucchino acolytes.
Yeah, that's all true. But he could have signed for something like 8 x $3M months ago. That's a lot of money -- much more than many of us will ever see. But he didn't.

So while everything you say above is true.... F him. I live an die for this team and don't even get paid for doing it!!!! He should think about THAT.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I get the point of view regarding the possible ask of $10M and tend to agree. BUT.........

I we go the season with Bussi and Korpisalo, we ain't adding big at the deadline.

Rather, we will be trying to convince a talented bunch of forwards and dmen to take one for the team and tank hard.

Going with a tandem of a guy who's not played one NHL game and a guy who has sucked in the vast majority of NHL games he has played in past five plus years is a poor strategy for winning.

Swayman has the leverage. In fact he is like a proctologist with an amazingly thick and long set of fingers. Hopefully he is gentle.
Dude you could put a guy off the street behind this D and we'd be a playoff team. Any AHL level goalie or better would be servicable for the Bruins that is total nonsense and this team couldn't tank even if they all had Ohatani gambling problems and bet on the opponent.

Playoffs is a different story but teams regularly play 2 guys in the postseason these days and recent Cup winners have managed with below average NHL netminding.

If Swayman misses camp and is rusty I'm not sure how good he actually is any big time contract in my books is only worth it if he doesn't miss any time.

Reactions: Gordoff

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Looking at it from the wrong angle here.

Swayman has more leverage because the bruins will be stuck in a significantly worse situation with korpisalo than Ullmark.

Ullmark gave the bruins more of a cushion to say we can survive without you (swayman). Bruins run the risk of missing the playoffs with korpisalo/bussi. If the team doesn’t meet swaymans demands.

Reactions: Clode

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Looking at it from the wrong angle here.

Swayman has more leverage because the bruins will be stuck in a significantly worse situation with korpisalo than Ullmark.

Ullmark gave the bruins more of a cushion to say we can survive without you (swayman). Bruins run the risk of missing the playoffs with korpisalo/bussi. If the team doesn’t meet swaymans demands.
Sure. But do you think that makes Swayman lower his ask? I don't know why that would whatsoever, given Ullmark is a FA. If you go that route you'd need to sign Ullmark and trade Sway. Otherwise it's just noise that doesn't affect negotiations one iota.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Yeah, that's all true. But he could have signed for something like 8 x $3M months ago. That's a lot of money -- much more than many of us will ever see. But he didn't.

So while everything you say above is true.... F him. I live an die for this team and don't even get paid for doing it!!!! He should think about THAT.
Love your passion. I think Sweeney just did not handle this process well at all, but I will guarantee this, no matter what he signs for if he does 6-10 mil does not matter he will be ripped in this town if he struggles to do the job, he is escalating the many in his corner today, that will not be there if he struggles they will lead the charge against him.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Sure. But do you think that makes Swayman lower his ask? I don't know why that would whatsoever, given Ullmark is a FA. If you go that route you'd need to sign Ullmark and trade Sway. Otherwise it's just noise that doesn't affect negotiations one iota.

I think having korpisalo vs Ullmark as an alternative absolutely impacts negotiations if you’re Sweeney.

If it’s another season where 91 points makes the playoffs maybe not, but if it goes up to 95 next year then I think the bruins would be in trouble of missing the playoffs with korpisalo/bussi.

Now the chance swayman doesn’t play is slim, but it gives swayman more leverage to ask for money in negotiations.

Reactions: GordonHowe

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
As a family getting by on a realistic salary, the whole I'm thinking about my family thing bothers me....is there really a big difference between 8-10 M ?

Especially over 8-10 years?

Frankly yes. $16-$20 million isn't an insignificant amount.

Look at it as one of us regular folks. Would you accept $40k as a salary when $50k is available? I highly doubt it. The numbers are on a entirely different scale, but players are doing what we all do, trying to get the most pay for the job they do

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I think having korpisalo vs Ullmark as an alternative absolutely impacts negotiations if you’re Sweeney.

If it’s another season where 91 points makes the playoffs maybe not, but if it goes up to 95 next year then I think the bruins would be in trouble of missing the playoffs with korpisalo/bussi.

Now the chance swayman doesn’t play is slim, but it gives swayman more leverage to ask for money in negotiations.
That's what I don't agree with. Why does the presence of a UFA goalie reduce his leverage unless you're telling him you'll trade him instead of Ullmark if you don't agree? And then doesn't that affect leverage for Ullmark if you go down that road, using the same logic? You think keeping Ullmark and telling Swayman you'll trade him instead of Ullmark makes Sway happier with the negotiations?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Interesting indeed.

Advanced degrees can be extremely valuable and a huge augmentation to real life experience.

Sway talks about Business school at Maine and Business classes at Stanford through the NHLPA. I'm sure he's learning a ton there. But those educational experiences are just augmenting what has been his REAL education.

His wording alone shows that that arbitration hearing was like a Master's degree on steroids. A very strong set of steroids.

He's reasonable, calm, and thoughtful. He's also educated. And in a good position.

It'll still get done I'm sure, but Boston is gonna pay.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
That's what I don't agree with. Why does the presence of a UFA goalie reduce his leverage unless you're telling him you'll trade him instead of Ullmark if you don't agree? And then doesn't that affect leverage for Ullmark if you go down that road, using the same logic? You think keeping Ullmark and telling Swayman you'll trade him instead of Ullmark makes Sway happier with the negotiations?

Because if korpisalo/bussi are the goalie tandem you risk not making the playoffs next year.

I guess that would depend on how big of a win differential from last years swayman/Ullmark to this years korpisalo/bussi would be.

However if bruins miss the playoffs because of this then Sweeney is for sure fired.

Plenty of leverage is created when jobs and playoffs are on the line.

Reactions: Gordoff and Clode

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Because if korpisalo/bussi are the goalie tandem you risk not making the playoffs next year.

I guess that would depend on how big of a win differential from last years swayman/Ullmark to this years korpisalo/bussi would be.

However if bruins miss the playoffs because of this then Sweeney is for sure fired.

Plenty of leverage is created when jobs and playoffs are on the line.
Doesn't speak to my point. You think if Ullmark is still here Swayman lowers his ask?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
The comparison to everyday folks never works. It sucks but never works.
Its always the measuring stick against one’s peers that is in play.
Every sport. Every occupation.
That's just not true, Wally.

I have relentlessly compared myself to George Clooney on the regular for going on 15+ years and I do believe Mrs. Number8 is finally buckling. She's been meeting with some lawyers recently. Nothing concrete yet, but I'm beginning to suspect that the crazy kid is looking to buy some Lake Como waterfront property for me.

I'm super excited.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Interesting indeed.

Advanced degrees can be extremely valuable and a huge augmentation to real life experience.

Sway talks about Business school at Maine and Business classes at Stanford through the NHLPA. I'm sure he's learning a ton there. But those educational experiences are just augmenting what has been his REAL education.

His wording alone shows that that arbitration hearing was like a Master's degree on steroids. A very strong set of steroids.

He's reasonable, calm, and thoughtful. He's also educated. And in a good position.

It'll still get done I'm sure, but Boston is gonna pay.
Yep. I had chills listening, and as soon as the clip ended I thought "Damn, this kid's getting PAID!"
He's cashing in huge, he deserves every cent, and he knows it. Good on him

Reactions: GordonHowe

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Yup Swayman can sit out the season and screw the Bruins chances

I was his agent if they offered him 8 X 8 I’m insulted

Swayman beat the Leafs and almost won two game 7’s and a game 6

I’m glad I now think Swayman is a jerk off ice and can bash away here
I don't think anyone one is calling him a jerk off, greedy?

This bull crap of him doing this for the goalie union is infuriating to me if true.

I thought it was about winning a championship and maybe leaving a little on the table so we can put the best team on the ice.

And before anyone chimes in I KNOW IT'S A BUSINESS.

Bruins will spend to the cap so the money he leaves on the table will be put to use.

Ok Im off to my Daughters wedding, I wish there was a salary cap on weddings

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I have no idea what swaymans ask is so I don’t know.

I do believe it gives swayman more leverage to ask for more because bruins are in a worse spot.

So yes to a degree.
I disagree. The presence of a UFA wouldn't change his ask. The only leverage the Bruins gain would be the ability to tell Swayman we'll trade you if you don't agree.

The Bruins opted for a one year arbitration award when they could have chosen two. They traded away his competition. Gave him the net in the playoffs. And yet we're still here. What would it look like if they were threatening to trade him if he didn't agree to their terms?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Dude you could put a guy off the street behind this D and we'd be a playoff team. Any AHL level goalie or better would be servicable for the Bruins that is total nonsense and this team couldn't tank even if they all had Ohatani gambling problems and bet on the opponent.

Playoffs is a different story but teams regularly play 2 guys in the postseason these days and recent Cup winners have managed with below average NHL netminding.

If Swayman misses camp and is rusty I'm not sure how good he actually is any big time contract in my books is only worth it if he doesn't miss any time.
My dude, if you take the past five seasons (and that's kind, because going back further introduces some putrid numbers) Korpisalo has played a total of 186 games and put up a GAA of 3.16 over that time.

Unless Goalie Bob does some voodoo (and he might, fair is fair) it's not the defense you better worry about it is the offense. We looking at some run and gun hockey if you want to make the playoffs with that tandem.

And to your point, to what end if so? That tandem ain't getting out of first round. Go for the picks.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I disagree. The presence of a UFA wouldn't change his ask. The only leverage the Bruins gain would be the ability to tell Swayman we'll trade you if you don't agree.

The Bruins opted for a one year arbitration award when they could have chosen two. They traded away his competition. Gave him the net in the playoffs. And yet we're still here. What would it look like if they were threatening to trade him if he didn't agree to their terms?

Well all I’ll say is leverage is absolutely created when the end result can be drastically affected. That is a fact.

The bruins end of season results are drastically impacted by having korpisalo as a #1 as compared to Ullmark and/or swayman.

So swayman has certainly gained leverage in this scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad