Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman II - still waiting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
You might have your finger on the pulse, left over bitterness from arbitration, that he agreed to participate in, and his agent should have and maybe he did and Sway, still not able to lose the bad taste of arbitration. I would like to make a little note, I was feeling the love from so many poster's when this contract talks started for Sway, and you hear numbers all over the map and always wonder if Sway slipped up a little how fast that love would go away. Sway signing meant so much to so many and the numbers were only concerning to small group, most others wanted him signed, now in the past week I noticed a bit of a change of the mood towards Sway, his support is dwindling. I also think many and I, am one of them that would like to see him signed, (reasonable) . I also wonder if the bitterness from last year and now this years negotiations but be adding to it.

Maybe. I guess we'll see.

I think it will work out.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I don't think he wants to leave at all, but seems obvious he wants to get paid at his max value and won't be giving the team a hometown discount.

Good for him. My bet is this gets resolved by a short term contract. Something like 3/21.
I think they can still get a long-term deal done. That's my preference, anyway.

Reactions: EverettMike

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Montgomery and his revamped coaching staff will run through every possible pairing and permutation.

Doubtless ad nauseam.

I don't know what the pairings will ultimately look like, yet to me, Zadorov would be extremely helpful to McAvoy, and hence the entire team, for the reasons delineated above.

That's a personal opinion, but definitely an option and pending chemistry and results, what I would like to see in the first defensive pairing.

The coaching staff can always make in-game or long-term adjustments to find the right match for each D unit.

It's going to be fun to watch how this particular storyline unfolds.

Recall too, Jay Leach is returning from Seattle to oversee the defense. I believe that is a very, very positive development.

Montgomery is not a defense first coach. This is a primary weakness.

My understanding is that the Bruins defensive scheme we have today was derived from Claude Julien's system, tweaked by Bruce Cassidy, and inherited by Montgomery.

Leach, like Sacco (also returning behind the bench) was seriously considered for the head coaching job before Sunny Jim ☀️ got the gig.

In light of this, it is worth noting that the Bruins have yet to extend Montgomery, which sends its own kind of message.

In the event, the Boston Bruins should be a tighter, better defensive team this season.

The size and truculence added to the roster should banish a nettlesom, exasperating inability to clear their own crease or transition smoothly from the defensive zone.

Parenthetically, the addition of Leach should also put a stop to those pesky, embarrassing Too Many Men On the Ice infractions.

We'll see how it all shakes out,

👉🚽🐣 👀
As a nucks fan anything above third pairing minutes at least during his time here he struggled. According to Forbort our teams play a similar system and Zadorov was 6th in toi and actually played less minute than he did in Calgary.
He feels he's a top four guy, and ultimately that and term was what led to him leaving cuz the dollar amount was comparable.
Now if he can bottle up his playoffs than all bets are off. Him and Forbort are pretty interchangeable so that's probably the role minus his pk (he's no Forbort) for what to expect. He was known for dumb penalties at dumb times but aside from his suspension that wasn't really an issue here.

You should show that to oilers fans who have convinced themselves every signing this summer took less and between bouchard, Drai and McDavid, they are each going to leave two million apiece on the table, basically screwing their union brothers in the process.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Demon Eyes

Nov 29, 2014
Well, taking hometown discounts and signing whatever offer the Bruins gave never won Bourque the cup here. Long term, the contract Swayman signs will look better as the cap moves up. Why not take the most, it's not like management does a good job with the cap savings anyways. Where's pasta's cup for taking that deal he had?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
As a nucks fan anything above third pairing minutes at least during his time here he struggled. According to Forbort our teams play a similar system and Zadorov was 6th in toi and actually played less minute than he did in Calgary.
He feels he's a top four guy, and ultimately that and term was what led to him leaving cuz the dollar amount was comparable.
Now if he can bottle up his playoffs than all bets are off. Him and Forbort are pretty interchangeable so that's probably the role minus his pk (he's no Forbort) for what to expect. He was known for dumb penalties at dumb times but aside from his suspension that wasn't really an issue here.

You should show that to oilers fans who have convinced themselves every signing this summer took less and between bouchard, Drai and McDavid, they are each going to leave two million apiece on the table, basically screwing their union brothers in the process.

I am aware of the legitimate criticisms you site. I won't make excuses for them.

I would say, at 29 perhaps Zadorov has learned from previous impulsive, out of position play and resultant boneheaded penalties.

My understanding is that Nikita can win defensive board battles and get the puck up ice safely. Correct?

As noted, if Zadorov makes opponents think twice about running McAvoy, as they have with impunity for years, and has them looking over their shoulder, that in itself is a major improvement.

Throw it back,

👉🚽👀

Reactions: BMC

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Totally sounds like the 2 sides have a deal in place and are just waiting on Sweeney to get back from vacation and Sway's agent to come back from Europe so they can announce it for max. social media pop.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Now I get why Neely said these negotiations weren't going as smoothly as he would like.

Pretty clearly he is still fired up over the arbitration last year. Kid is a bulldog. Give him the deal he is seeking, let him set the market for young goalies and you have your trifecta of studs for a long time.

Sounds like he’s looking for his payday. Whether one agrees or not, sounds like he’s looking to be a top paid goaltender. I don’t see less than 8.5m getting it done
Yeah no chance he takes a max deal less IMO. I could see a 3-4 year deal like 6.5 to get him into UFA, but he's not going to short change his future by going max if he's not blown out of the water. Sway is 25, not 30 like when Saros deal finally kicks in. Smart play is short term for solid money then cash in again at 28-29.

Last edited:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Gotta a lot going on (retirement is overrated folks seems even less time in a day) so need to take a break here but my final take is

I would not pay him over 8 M

He doesn’t have the resume ~ he’s projecting a lot

I wanted a red Firebird in high school as a car and was willing to hold my breathe over it (my parents bought me a used javelin - not the thing you throw but drive. Actually pretty cool wish I realized it then)

Dude is getting a big head ~ off the ice as well

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Although not hockey, and I do want this to stay on track of Swayman, Ive said before this would come into play.

“That’s Taxachusetts”

The Patriots have struggled in recent years when it comes to attracting top free agents to Foxborough — with New England whiffing on offseason targets like DeAndre Hopkins and Calvin Ridley.

Granted, it’s a lot tougher to convince players to sign in New England without personnel like Tom Brady or Belichick already in place at Gillette Stadium. But Belichick also said Monday that Massachusetts’ state income tax has also been a hurdle when it comes to New England’s inability to outbid other NFL teams — especially in states without income tax like Florida.

“That’s Taxachusetts,” Belichick said. “Virtually every player, even the practice squad, even the minimum players are pretty close to $1 million. Once you hit the $1 million threshold, you pay more state tax in Massachusetts.

“Just another thing you’ve got to contend with in negotiations up there. It’s not like Tennessee or Florida or Nevada. Some of these teams have no state income tax. You get hit pretty hard on that with the agents.”

Reactions: GordonHowe

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Belichick such a joke

That’s why he failed

Dude you drafted Harry over Deebo, Metcalf & AJ Brown ~ your scouts suggested
Brown or Deebo
Metcalf

You took Harry because his college Coach spoke to you on phone lol

You drafted Cole Strange over McDuffie

Signed shit FA let Tuhney & Myers go

It’s the tax

Poor F’n Bill

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Now I get why Neely said these negotiations weren't going as smoothly as he would like.

Pretty clearly he is still fired up over the arbitration last year. Kid is a bulldog. Give him the deal he is seeking, let him set the market for young goalies and you have your trifecta of studs for a long time.

Yeah no chance he takes a max deal less IMO. I could see a 3-4 year deal like 6.5 to get him into UFA, but he's not going to short change his future by going max if he's not blown out of the water. Sway is 25, not 30 like when Saros deal finally kicks in. Smart play is short term for solid money then cash in again at 28-29.
Was just texting with Lou and we arrived at same thing independently

4/26 and deal with it in 4 years

He’s won 1 playoff series
He’s never played over 45 games

He’s really good but that’s in line and above his peers same age

Great he’s taking courses at Stanford- awesome

But suggestion - how about being more the guy you used to be not I want to be a beacon of light for my fellow goalies

• Haha
Reactions: Gordoff and Pia8988

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
At this point fire Sweeney and trade swayman. He’s going to handcuff the team for the next eight years at this point. Goalies just aren’t worth what he’s looking for.

I can’t believe how bad Sweeney has f***ed this up. I wonder what it would take to get Ullmark back …
HAHA...... A lot more than what you got for him.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Well, taking hometown discounts and signing whatever offer the Bruins gave never won Bourque the cup here. Long term, the contract Swayman signs will look better as the cap moves up. Why not take the most, it's not like management does a good job with the cap savings anyways. Where's pasta's cup for taking that deal he had?
Didn't win Patrice or Marchand one either. Yes they have a stanley, but that was before they were big time stars and getting big bucks. Patrice was closer to mega stardom than Brad, but was still a step away.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
About $16M gross, $8Mish net. Yeah that’s a pretty big difference.
Yes it's a lot of money, but if its an 8 yr contract at 8 million its 64 million and 8 yr at 10 million is 80 million. Pretty sure you can live an amazing lifestyle at 8 million a year and have money for your childrens children, especially since he took business classes.

Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Yes it's a lot of money, but if its an 8 yr contract at 8 million its 64 million and 8 yr at 10 million is 80 million. Pretty sure you can live an amazing lifestyle at 8 million a year and have money for your childrens children, especially since he took business classes.
What does that have to do with anything though? If the view of it is comparing to the common person that ship sailed a long, long time ago.

And they make in one season what a large percentage of us will never see in a lifetime, even for people who earn above average salary
And? Yes these are professional athletes.

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
Sweeney screwed himself by trading Ullmark before an extension was signed. Swaymans camp has them bent over a barrel.

Reactions: Gordoff

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Belichick such a joke

That’s why he failed

Dude you drafted Harry over Deebo, Metcalf & AJ Brown ~ your scouts suggested
Brown or Deebo
Metcalf

You took Harry because his college Coach spoke to you on phone lol

You drafted Cole Strange over McDuffie

Signed shit FA let Tuhney & Myers go

It’s the tax

Poor F’n Bill
Belichick's comments are water is wet comments. At least in hockey the Bruins have a built in advantage where guys want to come here and its not Canada.

I like Swayman but 2/3 of the last 3 years he let Ullmark outplay him regular season. Byron Dafoe was never the same after his holdout and something similar could happen here. The new blueline is going to be lights out and Bussi and Korpisalo will play very well in his place. If both those guys have sub 2 GAA's and then Swayman comes back after an ugly holdout with a bloated deal and lets in softies the fans will be out for blood.

Sweeney screwed himself by trading Ullmark before an extension was signed. Swaymans camp has them bent over a barrel.
Ullmark screwed us and was going to add Ottawa to his NTC. Pad his stats as a protected backup in Boston and then cash in as a UFA was his and his agents plan there was only one team to shunt him to he was blocking everything he could and only putting teams with goalies on his approved list.

Letourneau will be a Coyle light I'm not sure he was worth entering into that awful deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad