Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman II - still waiting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yeah, that's all true. But he could have signed for something like 8 x $3M months ago. That's a lot of money -- much more than many of us will ever see. But he didn't.

So while everything you say above is true.... F him. I live an die for this team and don't even get paid for doing it!!!! He should think about THAT.
$64k is the national average for salaries per year. So by comp, he should accept $150k per year because that's a lot of money by comparison, right? :naughty:

This is a business and it's always odd to me that organizations can treat it as such but whenever a player does he's labeled as selfish or a piece of shit. In reality, Swayman isn't the one who gave up the leverage. That was the Harvard educated clown in the front office. Some folks here have an issue with a player wanting a fair market deal and negotiating as such, yet are never critical when Sweeney is overpaying some bottom of the roster stiff. I mean really, what's more impactful in a negative way to the team? Overpaying bottom pairing D men like Zadorov and Peeke, and eating bad contracts in trade for a backup goalie and fourth line plug to the tune of millions of dollars, or overpaying a top notch goalie by a little bit?

It's really an amazing dynamic. Rooting for billionaires over the players that perform on the ice, like its your own money.

Knight

Oct 7, 2010
Swayman gives off some low-key psycho energy, and I'm all for it. Looking forward to him stirring the pot from the crease for many years to come, especially with all the new size in Boston's lineup backing him up.

He's been dying for a scrap haha

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think anyone one is calling him a jerk off, greedy?

This bull crap of him doing this for the goalie union is infuriating to me if true.

I thought it was about winning a championship and maybe leaving a little on the table so we can put the best team on the ice.

And before anyone chimes in I KNOW IT'S A BUSINESS.

Bruins will spend to the cap so the money he leaves on the table will be put to use.

Ok Im off to my Daughters wedding, I wish there was a salary cap on weddings
I’m calling him a jerk

As in if he was half as nice as me

Congrats on daughter - she is a lucky gal having you

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Just driving around doing errands listening to Jones & Keefe and Keefe confident about his Swayman wants $10 M

Smart of Swayman to wanting to be the guy who gets goalies salaries up

Win one series $10 M

Hopefully Swayman can get Ullsy $10 M next summer but he never won a playoff series

Reactions: Gordoff

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
$64k is the national average for salaries per year. So by comp, he should accept $150k per year because that's a lot of money by comparison, right? :naughty:

This is a business and it's always odd to me that organizations can treat it as such but whenever a player does he's labeled as selfish or a piece of shit. In reality, Swayman isn't the one who gave up the leverage. That was the Harvard educated clown in the front office. Some folks here have an issue with a player wanting a fair market deal and negotiating as such, yet are never critical when Sweeney is overpaying some bottom of the roster stiff. I mean really, what's more impactful in a negative way to the team? Overpaying bottom pairing D men like Zadorov and Peeke, and eating bad contracts in trade for a backup goalie and fourth line plug to the tune of millions of dollars, or overpaying a top notch goalie by a little bit?

It's really an amazing dynamic. Rooting for billionaires over the players that perform on the ice, like its your own money.
Woah.... easy there. $150K???????

If you and I ever go out on the town I am holding the cash. You cannot be trusted. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Gotta a lot going on (retirement is overrated folks seems even less time in a day) so need to take a break here but my final take is

I would not pay him over 8 M

He doesn’t have the resume ~ he’s projecting a lot

I wanted a red Firebird in high school as a car and was willing to hold my breathe over it (my parents bought me a used javelin - not the thing you throw but drive. Actually pretty cool wish I realized it then)

Dude is getting a big head ~ off the ice as well
A Javelin… now there’s some serious horsepower. I crashed mine within a week of owning it. I miss that beast.

Care to share what the off ice Sway buzz is? I haven’t read anything anywhere

Reactions: Carl Hungus and DKH

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Yes it's a lot of money, but if its an 8 yr contract at 8 million its 64 million and 8 yr at 10 million is 80 million. Pretty sure you can live an amazing lifestyle at 8 million a year and have money for your childrens children, especially since he took business classes.

Yeah, that's all true. But he could have signed for something like 8 x $3M months ago. That's a lot of money -- much more than many of us will ever see. But he didn't.

So while everything you say above is true.... F him. I live an die for this team and don't even get paid for doing it!!!! He should think about THAT.
Jacobs is a multibillionaire. He doesnt HAVE to charge $60 for parking at the Garden. He could make it free for diehard lifelong fans with a paid ticket.

But he doesn't because he wants to make every possible cent off the backs of poor working class fans.
He should think about that.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
A Javelin… now there’s some serious horsepower. I crashed mine within a week of owning it. I miss that beast.

Care to share what the off ice Sway buzz is? I haven’t read anything anywhere
Just personal stuff

I was a huge Sway guy now I think he’s a fraud and I’m not the only one

Don’t not like him because of me

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Who here is rooting for billionaires? I don't think a soul here hopes that Swayman takes less money so that Jacobs can be richer...we want him at fair value so that the team can better compete and most are just not convinced 10m is fair value.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Those with real jobs know you don’t just give players what they want
And those of us with PTSD from the Sinden years know you to have to pay players. Sweeney screwed up badly by moving Ullmark before signing Swayman and taking Swayman to arbitration last year, and now he is going to pay one way or another.

Reactions: lopey and FinnBear

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
And those of us with PTSD from the Sinden years know you to have to pay players. Sweeney screwed up badly by moving Ullmark before signing Swayman and taking Swayman to arbitration last year, and now he is going to pay one way or another.
Did Sweeney put the whammy on Swayman's agent, compelling him to file for arbitration last summer?

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Wild to me looking at what proven top goalies are getting paid. With contracts signed fairly recently.
Then looking at swayman wanting to be the highest paid goalie in the league….

Weird look imo. Seems like he’s butt hurt about some stuff that was said in arbitration last year. Man up bud. You had 100 games played then.

*edit. Guy looks like he's out on a tour trying to promote why he's worth $10million haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carl Hungus

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Frankly yes. $16-$20 million isn't an insignificant amount.

Look at it as one of us regular folks. Would you accept $40k as a salary when $50k is available? I highly doubt it. The numbers are on a entirely different scale, but players are doing what we all do, trying to get the most pay for the job they do
My family can't live for several years on 40K.....give me 8 M just once and I never have to work again

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
HAHA...... A lot more than what you got for him.
Sweeney probably gets fired over this

Swayman will head of the goalie union if they have one for raising the bar - win a round get $10 M

It’s embarrassing to be a Bruins fan these days / wearing all Celtics stuff now

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Ullmark at 5 M better than Swayman at 10 M

To bad they didn’t take arbitration couldn’t Bruins walk away from award if to high ?

Reactions: LSCII and RoccoF14

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
I’m not surprised by the situation and actually expected this.
I mentioned this and why they likely got Korpi back in June. The only thing I’m a little surprised by is that a team didn’t try to offer sheet or trade for him earlier this summer.

So when do the Draisaitl-Swaymsn swap rumors start? I give it less than two weeks, as Draisaitl makes 8.5m, is an upcoming UFA and has imposed a “no extension talk during the season” limit on the Oilers.

Enjoy folks.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
What is all this leverage Swayman has I been hearing about ?

What is his options ?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I’m not surprised by the situation and actually expected this.
I mentioned this and why they likely got Korpi back in June. The only thing I’m a little surprised by is that a team didn’t try to offer sheet or trade for him earlier this summer.

So when do the Draisaitl-Swaymsn swap rumors start? I give it less than two weeks, as Draisaitl makes 8.5m, is an upcoming UFA and has imposed a “no extension talk during the season” limit on the Oilers.

Enjoy folks.
I think the fact that no one offer sheeted him either means that:

1) they don't think he's worth the compensation he'd require

2) they don't think he's worth the money he's asking for

I love the dude but if he's actually hoping for 10m I'm not sure...

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Who here is rooting for billionaires? I don't think a soul here hopes that Swayman takes less money so that Jacobs can be richer...we want him at fair value so that the team can better compete and most are just not convinced 10m is fair value.
You and I have gone back and forth on a lot of this already in other threads, so I'm going to try to be succinct. Well, at least for me. :laugh:

I'd rather they overpay their best players and key guys than the bottom of the roster types. Yet this front office seems content in doing the exact opposite and giving away more money for stiffs that they shouldn't. This is why you don't overpay a bottom pairing defenseman like Zad. This is why taking on a bad contracts in trade for players like Peeke, Kopri, and Kastelic is problematic. They've got millions tied up in the wrong places, IMO. If anything, I'd rather give Swayman more and those guys a shitload less.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
You and I have gone back and forth on a lot of this already in other threads, so I'm going to try to be succinct. Well, at least for me. :laugh:

I'd rather they overpay their best players and key guys than the bottom of the roster types. Yet this front office seems content in doing the exact opposite and giving away more money for stiffs that they shouldn't. This is why you don't overpay a bottom pairing defenseman like Zad. This is why taking on a bad contracts in trade for players like Peeke, Kopri, and Kastelic is problematic. They've got millions tied up in the wrong places, IMO. If anything, I'd rather give Swayman more and those guys a shitload less.
If Swayman gets $10 or $11 (I’m hearing $88 M for 8 years - between McAvoy & Pastrnak) I would move Freddy since he’s a UFA next summer for a pick or two

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If Swayman gets $10 or $11 (I’m hearing $88 M for 8 years - between McAvoy & Pastrnak) I would move Freddy since he’s a UFA next summer for a pick or two
I'd move anyone if the right price was paid. Freddy is one of those types that everyone seems to think is going to suddenly get it and become this power forward and presence, but what if this is who he is? I think you'd have to look long and hard at moving him before shelling out big bucks long term to a 15 goals per year type of player.

• Haha
Reactions: BBruins

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I'd move anyone if the right price was paid. Freddy is one of those types that everyone seems to think is going to suddenly get it and become this power forward and presence, but what if this is who he is? I think you'd have to look long and hard at moving him before shelling out big bucks long term to a 15 goals per year type of player.
Glue guy though

You get those types you keep them

Glue and character guys where I land

If the player is both a glue and character and blocks shots I’ll find room

That’s Freddy

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Jacobs is a multibillionaire. He doesnt HAVE to charge $60 for parking at the Garden. He could make it free for diehard lifelong fans with a paid ticket.

But he doesn't because he wants to make every possible cent off the backs of poor working class fans.
He should think about that.

They won’t even take the time to fix the ice, they might miss out on some concert revenue

Reactions: Dr Quincy

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

But that isn't what I'm really arguing here. I get not liking how they spend their cap, that's a fine opinion to hold here, but I don't really think people who don't agree with that - or in this instance with what Swayman wants - are rooting for billionaires like you said. Just seems like a bit of a jump to think that way - we all just want the team we love to win, myself and I'm sure most others couldn't give a flying f*** about Jacobs or any owner of the team benefitting, but I do care about the Bruins as a team benefitting from a guy taking less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad