Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman II - still waiting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I get the whole comparison to other players.....but do not use the line of I need 10M instead of 8M for my family.....if your family can't live on 8M year then all I can say is WTF is wrong with them

Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Who said he has to give him what he wants? It's called a negotiation for a reason, no? He says I want X over 3 years and then the team counters with Y over 5 years. They haggle and eventually reach a middle ground that the team and the player can be happy with. From the sounds of it though, Swayman is trying to kick start a conversation because it doesn't sound like they're even talking let alone close.

Does anyone realistically believe Swayman is adamant about the 10 mill per? Like honestly?
People here. Just like the handful who you said are calling Swayman names.

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Who said he has to give him what he wants? It's called a negotiation for a reason, no? He says I want X over 3 years and then the team counters with Y over 5 years. They haggle and eventually reach a middle ground that the team and the player can be happy with. From the sounds of it though, Swayman is trying to kick start a conversation because it doesn't sound like they're even talking let alone close.

Does anyone realistically believe Swayman is adamant about the 10 mill per? Like honestly?
Do you believe he is adamant about 8 mil per ?

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
When u hear Swayman talk about representing goalies down the line it's very clear the players Union is pressuring him to get as much as he can.I am still not worried though ,he will sign here longterm.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
When u hear Swayman talk about representing goalies down the line it's very clear the players Union is pressuring him to get as much as he can.I am still not worried though ,he will sign here longterm.
Is a potential lockout having an effect on these negotiations ?

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
I get the point of view regarding the possible ask of $10M and tend to agree. BUT.........

I we go the season with Bussi and Korpisalo, we ain't adding big at the deadline.

Rather, we will be trying to convince a talented bunch of forwards and dmen to take one for the team and tank hard.

Going with a tandem of a guy who's not played one NHL game and a guy who has sucked in the vast majority of NHL games he has played in past five plus years is a poor strategy for winning.

Swayman has the leverage. In fact he is like a proctologist with an amazingly thick and long set of fingers. Hopefully he is gentle.
I get all that but I think we could do better than people think without Swayman and I don't want a greedy player. It'll change everything here when the next guy and the next guy, we ill end up like Toronto.
If Swayman is leveraging them after an Ullmark trade it means he screwed them (in my opinion) as they must have talked about committing to him. Revenge for arbitration? idk. But if he holds out as far as I'm concerned screw him. It's just greed.

Personally I don't believe it. I think the agent is making waves and coaching him on what to say to go viral and shift the negotiation. I still think it's all smoke and mirrors and it'll all be fine.

Reactions: lopey and Number8

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I keep saying it, and I understand the logic (and hostility) toward the notion, but it is entirely possible Jeremy gets 10 million.

The cap will continue to go up every year, especially with yet more expansion on the horizon and two successful expansion clubs in Vegas and Seattle.

10 million for an elite goaltender may seem like an overpay now. It may be the benchmark going forward, however.
I suppose anything is possible, and I agree that the S tier goalie market could very will dictate 10+ contracts as the norm in the VERY near future. For Swayman I don't think we are too far off from that, but I can't see it happening this time around. Personally I'm hoping his number can start with a 7, I fully expect it to be in the 8's, but wouldn't be totally at a loss if he's a smidge over 9.

I also know my opinion is highly uneducated and means nothing lol

I guess his Stanford classes didn't teach him that he needs to also discount his future value based on how risky it is to sign a goalie to a $70M+ deal when said goalie hasn't held a full starters load yet
That's the only factor that could, and should keep the AAV down a bit. Luckily for Don, that factor is a rather huge line item in the negotiations.

Reactions: Carl Hungus

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
I take his comment as strictly wanting to make sure any of his goalie brothers that has a contract negotiation after him can use his deal as a favorable comparable.

He's just looking out for his fellow netminders. The union, as a whole, should not really care at all -- the players all get the same amount of money from the revenue sharing deal.

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
Just woke up from my nap is Swayman still at $10 M or he want more ?

My sources close to the negotiation tell me that he is now asking for $12M AAV - extra $2M per year will go towards constructing Swayman statues throughout the New England area

Reactions: Number8

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I saw him reference the cap going up later etc as well.Far as a lockout goes I don't think that is playing here but who knows.
80 percent of contracts signed since January 1 2024 have lockout protection.

35 percent of contracts signed in all of 2023 have lockout protection. That includes one year and two year contracts that don't get the player to a potential lockout.

Absolutely lockout protection is important to the players.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
80 percent of contracts signed since January 1 2024 have lockout protection.

35 percent of contracts signed in all of 2023 have lockout protection. That includes one year and two year contracts that don't get the player to a potential lockout.

Absolutely lockout protection is important to the players.
Bruins did not give any extra protection to Pasta or McAvoy though - signing bonus doesn’t deviate in that year more than other years if the deals. Theres some protection with the bonus but not as much as many other cotract’s for sure.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Bruins did not give any extra protection to Pasta or McAvoy though - signing bonus doesn’t deviate in that year more than other years if the deals. Theres some protection with the bonus but not as much as many other cotract’s for sure.
Some teams are stingy, some aren't that way. The Bruins always seem to be.

Nathan Mackinnon gets $15,250,000 before the potential lockout and $8,910,000 the year after.

In a lockout year? Just $3,000,000

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
But that isn't what I'm really arguing here. I get not liking how they spend their cap, that's a fine opinion to hold here, but I don't really think people who don't agree with that - or in this instance with what Swayman wants - are rooting for billionaires like you said. Just seems like a bit of a jump to think that way - we all just want the team we love to win, myself and I'm sure most others couldn't give a flying f*** about Jacobs or any owner of the team benefitting, but I do care about the Bruins as a team benefitting from a guy taking less.
How do they benefit? How many cups did they get from Marchand, Bergeron, Chara and Krejci getting less? Their 2nd line rw was Karson Kuhlman in 19 because they couldn’t even play Backes They take the savings and spend it on garbage. Pasta didn’t take less. Mcavoy either. Swayman certainly should not.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
Negotiations indeed. And without knowing the outcome of course, so far Swayman is handling this PERFECTLY

You’re gonna be real mad when it comes in over 8mil.

Edit: not a chance i think he gets 10, nor do i believe that he or his agent actually think they’ll get it to 10. If that truly was the ask, then it’s the first offer, which we all know you never take anyway.
I haven’t seen anything authoritative that said he asked for $10M. If his agent did, Sway should get a new agent because 20 seconds on the Internet would tell you the team doesn’t have 10 million to give. Not going to move assets to facilitate an overpayment. If Sweeney empties the bank for him, and gives him all of the $9M+ that he actually has left to spend, we are in cap hell for the rest of the season - if not longer. We have been there before, and it sucks. I would not be surprised to see $8M x 7, $7M x 8, or some variation thereof. He will not get $9M.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Who here is rooting for billionaires? I don't think a soul here hopes that Swayman takes less money so that Jacobs can be richer...we want him at fair value so that the team can better compete and most are just not convinced 10m is fair value.
Elias Lindholm made $4.85m last year. He should have taken less to sign with Boston and compete. He didn't need to add $3m more to his salary.
Zadorov made 3.75m. Why didn't he take "fair value" instead of getting another 1.25m?
McAvoy's contract is $9.4m signed 2 years ago when the cap was $82m. Is Swayman asking for 600k more with 6m more on the cap any worse?

I haven’t seen anything authoritative that said he asked for $10M. If his agent did, Sway should get a new agent because 20 seconds on the Internet would tell you the team doesn’t have 10 million to give. Not going to move assets to facilitate an overpayment. If Sweeney empties the bank for him, and gives him all of the $9M+ that he actually has left to spend, we are in cap hell for the rest of the season - if not longer. We have been there before, and it sucks. I would not be surprised to see $8M x 7, $7M x 8, or some variation thereof. He will not get $9M.
So Swayman should take less because Don decided to spend $3m on a backup goalie, instead of the 775k that Bussi costs? Help me make sense of that.

Reactions: Number8

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Elias Lindholm made $4.85m last year. He should have taken less to sign with Boston and compete. He didn't need to add $3m more to his salary.
Zadorov made 3.75m. Why didn't he take "fair value" instead of getting another 1.25m?
McAvoy's contract is $9.4m signed 2 years ago when the cap was $82m. Is Swayman asking for 600k more with 6m more on the cap any worse?

So Swayman should take less because Don decided to spend $3m on a backup goalie, instead of the 775k that Bussi costs? Help me make sense of that.
RFA vs UFA is a thing. The fact that the Bruins are the only team Swayman can play for this year, barring a trade, matters. Sweeney left the ability to sign him to up to 9+ million which is more than fair considering comparable around the league.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
How do they benefit? How many cups did they get from Marchand, Bergeron, Chara and Krejci getting less? Their 2nd line rw was Karson Kuhlman in 19 because they couldn’t even play Backes They take the savings and spend it on garbage. Pasta didn’t take less. Mcavoy either. Swayman certainly should not.
I think you answered the question to yourself.

In the same way teams benefit from having players that perform above their cap hit value, they are also disadvantaged by carrying players who perform below their cap hit value.

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
RFA vs UFA is a thing. The fact that the Bruins are the only team Swayman can play for this year, barring a trade, matters. Sweeney left the ability to sign him to up to 9+ million which is more than fair considering comparable around the league.
I understand it matters as far as leverage, but that wasn't the point the poster was making. The point was: If Swayman takes less then the B's will be a better team.

Whatever leverage or market value worth Zadorov or Lindholm had is irrelevant to that point: If they took less, the B's would be a better team (If you assume that it was true about Swayman.) For this argument it doens't matter how a player got paid or why.... simply that less on one contract means more $ on other players = improved team.

Reactions: BBruins
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad