Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman II - still waiting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
But that isn't what I'm really arguing here. I get not liking how they spend their cap, that's a fine opinion to hold here, but I don't really think people who don't agree with that - or in this instance with what Swayman wants - are rooting for billionaires like you said. Just seems like a bit of a jump to think that way - we all just want the team we love to win, myself and I'm sure most others couldn't give a flying f*** about Jacobs or any owner of the team benefitting, but I do care about the Bruins as a team benefitting from a guy taking less.
You as a fan, I understand why you want a player to take less, but Swayman isn’t a fan here. He’s a player. And it’s well within his right to fight for every last dollar he feels he deserves. So when I see people calling a dude names simply because he’s treating it like a business, which is how the owners treat it btw, it’s silly. If he can ask for 10 mill per in order to get 9, why wouldn’t he?

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
What is the process if no agreement? Does he sit out or does he play for the contract that was offered ( 3.5? 2 years?… sorry I thought I saw this weeks ago?) and if so is he then a UFA? Can he legally just not report?
Well without a contract he can't report, so...

He is an RFA until he signs something he likes.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
You as a fan, I understand why you want a player to take less, but Swayman isn’t a fan here. He’s a player. And it’s well within his right to fight for every last dollar he feels he deserves. So when I see people calling a dude names simply because he’s treating it like a business, which is how the owners treat it btw, it’s silly. If he can ask for 10 mill per in order to get 9, why wouldn’t he?
Oh well if people are calling him names they are out to lunch for sure, I hope he does fight for every dollar he can get, but selfishly only if it's under 9 mil lol

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
What’s Swayman playoff record?

Record in elimination games ?

He’s the only goalie in the history of hockey who will make over 5 M and not played 45 games in a season and he wants $10 M lol

1 playoff round win

Dudes out of control

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
All I am going to say is this: If Swayman gets the deal he wants (term & amount) he’d better deliver. And by that I mean the Stanley Cup preferably more than one. No more of this Vezina & Jennings trophies shit.

To whom much is given much is expected.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
As a family getting by on a realistic salary, the whole I'm thinking about my family thing bothers me....is there really a big difference between 8-10 M ?

Especially over 8-10 years?
Do you mean someone wanting 10 rather than settling for 8 million?

There may not be a world of difference between 10 and 8 million, but I would certainly take it. I suspect most would.

Reactions: MillerTime29Bombs

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
And people also call Sweeney names for not giving him whatever he wants.

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
What’s Swayman playoff record?

Record in elimination games ?

He’s the only goalie in the history of hockey who will make over 5 M and not played 45 games in a season and he wants $10 M lol

1 playoff round win

Dudes out of control
Seems Sweeney played right into his hands, no?

Reactions: Number8

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Interesting indeed.

Advanced degrees can be extremely valuable and a huge augmentation to real life experience.

Sway talks about Business school at Maine and Business classes at Stanford through the NHLPA. I'm sure he's learning a ton there. But those educational experiences are just augmenting what has been his REAL education.

His wording alone shows that that arbitration hearing was like a Master's degree on steroids. A very strong set of steroids.

He's reasonable, calm, and thoughtful. He's also educated. And in a good position.

It'll still get done I'm sure, but Boston is gonna pay.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

💯

Reactions: Number8

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I imagine Swayman went in somewhat starry eyed to arbitration and then got ripped by his bosses. All of his weaknesses laid bare for an impersonal debate over his "worth". I guarantee you at some point during or after, someone said or at least insinuated "Hey, it's just business kid. Nothing personal."

Swayman is now just doing the reverse - and he has every right to do just that. "Hey, it's nothing personal boys. Just business."

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

💯
Absolutely! I have several "life experience" MBA's. I may not be able to tell everyone what they should do, but I can certainly give a few examples of things they might want to avoid -- very little of which can be found in your average textbook.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Yep. I had chills listening, and as soon as the clip ended I thought "Damn, this kid's getting PAID!"
He's cashing in huge, he deserves every cent, and he knows it. Good on him

I agree.

Yet, without carrying water for Don Sweeney or Jeremy Jacobs, it is nonetheless true that Swayman has never played more than 43 regular season games.

He performed exceptionally well this past post season. But one excellent playoff run is not comparable to several.

At just 26, Jeremy has plenty to prove. I fully expect him to maintain his high level of play.

At this point however, that is an expectation. Not a known quantity.

That's why they call them negotiations.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I agree.

Yet, without carrying water for Don Sweeney or Jeremy Jacobs, it is nonetheless true that Swayman has never played more than 43 regular season games.

He performed exceptionally well this past post season. But one excellent playoff run is not comparable to several.

At just 26, Jeremy has plenty to prove. I fully expect him to maintain his high level of play.

At this point however, that is an expectation. Not a known quantity.

That's why they call them negotiations.
Negotiations indeed. And without knowing the outcome of course, so far Swayman is handling this PERFECTLY
Just move him already. $8MAAV is too much for this dude and he wants f***ing $10M?
You’re gonna be real mad when it comes in over 8mil.

Edit: not a chance i think he gets 10, nor do i believe that he or his agent actually think they’ll get it to 10. If that truly was the ask, then it’s the first offer, which we all know you never take anyway.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Don't see much doom or gloom - it's just business all around. They reserved enough space to pay him a reasonable amount in the short term.

Worst case he can risk it and sign a deal that gets him to UFA status with the chance of cashing in bigger (or not).

If he gets an offer sheet (doubtful now) they can't match then they walk away with a boatload of picks (which they still need) and the saved dough to spend across the roster.

Or they could meet somewhere in the middle longer term.

They've made a place for him in the roster and on the payroll. It's up to him whether he wants to be there.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Why? It makes his chance of getting traded to another team much more likely. But again, why would he settle for less?
I think you are forgetting there are two sides involved, and why should the Bruins over pay, they still need to maintain a roster. I am one of the last guys to take managements side, and I am not in this case, but remember there are two sides.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I think Sway is a competitive guy and will welcome the pressure.

I don't want a goalie who is worried about fan reaction after he signs a deal. I want a goalie that comes out of what appears to be a nasty arbitration hearing and says "f*** you, I'll show you who is a scrub and who is not a scrub".

It's odd, the Bruins sort of created the playoff monster we had last season AND the guy they are negotiating against now.

Montreal ran Patrick Roy out of town (and please believe me - I am not comparing the two as goalies or even their situations) and old Patty's confidence and performance did just fine in Colorado. Goalies are a different breed -- some just don't give two shits what the fans think or say. Probably the best ones don't give even one shit.

100%

See: Jacques Plante,

See: Lorne Worsley,

BTW, St. Patrick was not run out of Montreal.

He shot himself out of town, God bless him,

Reactions: Gordoff and Number8

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Sweeney probably gets fired over this

Swayman will head of the goalie union if they have one for raising the bar - win a round get $10 M

It’s embarrassing to be a Bruins fan these days / wearing all Celtics stuff now
I understand your frustration, but please do not get stupid, with wearing that Celtics stuff now.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Negotiations indeed. And without knowing the outcome of course, so far Swayman is handling this PERFECTLY

You’re gonna be real mad when it comes in over 8mil.

Edit: not a chance i think he gets 10, nor do i believe that he or his agent actually think they’ll get it to 10. If that truly was the ask, then it’s the first offer, which we all know you never take anyway.

I keep saying it, and I understand the logic against (and hostility toward) the notion, but it is entirely possible Jeremy gets 10 million.

The cap will continue to go up every year, especially with yet more expansion on the horizon and two successful expansion clubs in Vegas and Seattle.

10 million for an elite goaltender may seem like an overpay now. It may be the benchmark going forward, however.

Last edited:

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I keep saying it, and I understand the logic (and hostility) toward the notion, but it is entirely possible Jeremy gets 10 million.

The cap will continue to go up every year, especially with yet more expansion on the horizon and two successful expansion clubs in Vegas and Seattle.

10 million for an elite goaltender may seem like an overpay now. It may be the benchmark going forward, however.
$10M means someone has to go. They can get to about $9.5M if they run a 22 man roster this year and bury Korpisalo.

Reactions: Gordoff

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
And people also call Sweeney names for not giving him whatever he wants.
Who said he has to give him what he wants? It's called a negotiation for a reason, no? He says I want X over 3 years and then the team counters with Y over 5 years. They haggle and eventually reach a middle ground that the team and the player can be happy with. From the sounds of it though, Swayman is trying to kick start a conversation because it doesn't sound like they're even talking let alone close.

Does anyone realistically believe Swayman is adamant about the 10 mill per? Like honestly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad