Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman II - still waiting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
When u hear Swayman talk about representing goalies down the line it's very clear the players Union is pressuring him to get as much as he can.I am still not worried though ,he will sign here longterm.
I agree. I tend to believe that stance, although smart, was directed to the PA as a bone. At the end of the day though, Swayman will do what’s best for him and his family. If the B’s hold firm on $10M and say no way, at some point Sway will take care of himself. If not Swayman can always suggest that the PA can pay Swayman a $10M PA contract as a conultant while he sits out. Legalities aside (I have no idea if that’s allowable nor do I care, just making a point) we’ll find out how quickly the PA wants to put their candies into to pot.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
All I am going to say is this: If Swayman gets the deal he wants (term & amount) he’d better deliver. And by that I mean the Stanley Cup preferably more than one. No more of this Vezina & Jennings trophies shit.

To whom much is given much is expected.

Seriously. How many goals does he have in his career

• Haha
Reactions: Grimey

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
What is the process if no agreement? Does he sit out or does he play for the contract that was offered ( 3.5? 2 years?… sorry I thought I saw this weeks ago?) and if so is he then a UFA? Can he legally just not report?

He can sit out. We have zero idea what he was offered.
He cant be a UFA for two more years.
Perfectly legal not to report.
Having said that if he doesnt sign by December 1 he must sit out entire season with Bruins retaining his rights.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Is a potential lockout having an effect on these negotiations ?

I’d say yes.
Most players seek lockout protection. Heavy signing bonus for those year(s).
The Bruins typically hate doing such. I believe that was one of the hurdles in signing Pasta so late. And he got much less (3M) than most players of his stature.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Just woke up from my nap is Swayman still at $10 M or he want more ?
As of 5:16PM EST I have it on good authority the Swayman camp is now demanding $15.5x3 on a bridge deal. My understanding is the offer included the caveat that the price goes up by $100K a Year for every hour that deal isn’t accepted.

That means as of 6:17PM, the new offer is $15.6 time three. Gonna get hairy if a deal not done this week. Just don’t see how a $18M PA contract is gonna work.

Reactions: DKH

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Just watched the video of Sway’s interview and he said he’s taking courses at Stanford (I’m assuming California not Connecticut).

Good on Sway~ knowledge is good

Can’t be cheap either

‘Pay the Sway’

#TEAMSWAY1

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I’d say yes.
Most players seek lockout protection. Heavy signing bonus for those year(s).
The Bruins typically hate doing such. I believe that was one of the hurdles in signing Pasta so late. And he got much less (3M) than most players of his stature.
This could get ugly for many reasons. I don't know how much of a hand Betteman will have in a potential player stoppage, and although I am not a big Marty Walsh, but Betteman should not take him lightly, especially with that, smug arrogance he tends to display, maybe this will be his reminder that this is not NBA.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Daddy Jacobs cares more about his bottom line than winning. Always has, Always will
That has always been true. He instituted the Cap almost single handedly. He got it and should not get a huge amount of credit for largely spending to it each year. Fans would vote with their asses is seats, which is the last time Jerry did anything substantive to change what was becoming an embarrassingly long SC drought.

If Jerry cared about winning, our ice would not have sucked for the last several years. Of course we did buy that SECOND HAND unit from Arizona once they folded. Second hand ice making. Nothing but the best for our Boys in Black.

• Haha
Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Ty Anderson on 98.5 just now says Bruins have not yet made a full 8 year offer. Said it was slightly more than a bridge year deal. Reading between the lines it would appear Sweeney not completely sold Swayman is the stud franchise goaltender his agent is marketing him as.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
Elias Lindholm made $4.85m last year. He should have taken less to sign with Boston and compete. He didn't need to add $3m more to his salary.
Zadorov made 3.75m. Why didn't he take "fair value" instead of getting another 1.25m?
McAvoy's contract is $9.4m signed 2 years ago when the cap was $82m. Is Swayman asking for 600k more with 6m more on the cap any worse?

So Swayman should take less because Don decided to spend $3m on a backup goalie, instead of the 775k that Bussi costs? Help me make sense of that.
My point was that nobody has demonstrated that Sway actually asked for 10 and it would make no sense to do so since the team literally does not have the money. My prediction that he will not get 9, at least not from Boston, was based on his prior body of work in terms of number of games played in a season. I think that will work against him in negotiations. If he gets 9, he gets 9, but that would put us in cap hell.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Daddy Jacobs cares more about his bottom line than winning. Always has, Always will
Not a defender of Jacobs, but this really does not matter to what Jacobs cares about, because of the cap it is more of having space to operate a roster that will give this team best chance to be a winner.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Ty Anderson on 98.5 just now says Bruins have not yet made a full 8 year offer. Said it was slightly more than a bridge year deal. Reading between the lines it would appear Sweeney not completely sold Swayman is the stud franchise goaltender his agent is marketing him as.
I was chatting with Lou this morning and we both said 4/26 M

Donny ~ let’s go 4/26 make him prove he can

1. Play 55 games
2. Take team on a long run

Sway talks a good game let’s build up the resume

‘Pay the Sway’

#TEAMSWAY1

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I was chatting with Lou this morning and we both said 4/26 M

Donny ~ let’s go 4/26 make him prove he can

1. Play 55 games
2. Take team on a long run

Sway talks a good game let’s build up the resume

‘Pay the Sway’

#TEAMSWAY1
Swayman will be 26 in November. IIRC he attains UFA status in 2 years. I understand him wanting a long term deal. But he has to understand he hasn’t yet proven he can handle the number one workload.

I’d guess Sweeney is offering 3 years/ 19.5 (6.5m per). Buys one year of UFA. Maybe Swayman would prefer to take 2 years at 6.5/ 7m per, taking him to age 28 and UFA status. If he plays well for 2 years there’ll be a number of teams lined up with a long term big $$ contract.

10m per for 8 years is an absurd risk.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Just watched the video of Sway’s interview and he said he’s taking courses at Stanford (I’m assuming California not Connecticut).

Good on Sway~ knowledge is good

Can’t be cheap either

‘Pay the Sway’

#TEAMSWAY1
Sway this fall?
1724881662504.png

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Swayman will be 26 in November. IIRC he attains UFA status in 2 years. I understand him wanting a long term deal. But he has to understand he hasn’t yet proven he can handle the number one workload.

I’d guess Sweeney is offering 3 years/ 19.5 (6.5m per). Buys one year of UFA. Maybe Swayman would prefer to take 2 years at 6.5/ 7m per, taking him to age 28 and UFA status. If he plays well for 2 years there’ll be a number of teams lined up with a long term big $$ contract.

10m per for 8 years is an absurd risk.
Good to read this- I probably agree with you as much as anyone here on most stuff

Lou says and I agree go 4 years and deal with it then

He will be 29 and great age to cash in

Needs to show he can be counted on for 55+ games and take team on deep runs

He was outstanding against Lesfs and very good against Florida but was outplayed by Bob

He was ok against Panthers in game 7 in 2023 and Carolina in 2022

3 or 4 years makes sense and if he wants to play in the West so be it

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Not a defender of Jacobs, but this really does not matter to what Jacobs cares about, because of the cap it is more of having space to operate a roster that will give this team best chance to be a winner.
So then explain adding a guy who was statistically the worst goalie in the league last year as a $3m cap hit, when they could go with Bussi for 775k. Seems like cap wasn't that important with that decision, and instead adding a late 1st gamble that might pay off in 4 years was the bigger factor.

If that's true, I'd say locking up the best young goalie in the league is more important than adding a longshot project.

Reactions: Number8

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
This has been a false narrative for years, they've spent to the edge of the cap since the lockout.
Many times over in real cash. Plus they pay their coaches well and have a top tier athletic staff and analytics staff.

So then explain adding a guy who was statistically the worst goalie in the league last year as a $3m cap hit, when they could go with Bussi for 775k.
They didn’t want to go with Bussi? Hes never played an NHL game.

• Haha
Reactions: Dr Quincy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad