Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman II - still waiting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Many times over in real cash. Plus they pay their coaches well and have a top tier athletic staff and analytics staff.

They didn’t want to go with Bussi? Hes never played an NHL game.
Right. They specifically targeted Korpisalo because they wanted him and thought he was great value added.

So I'm sure you're calling on the front office to sign the statistically worst F in the league, and pay him $3m because Lysell has never played an NHL game.

Of course not, but we know if they were to do it, you'd find some way to say it was a great deal.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I haven’t seen anything authoritative that said he asked for $10M. If his agent did, Sway should get a new agent because 20 seconds on the Internet would tell you the team doesn’t have 10 million to give. Not going to move assets to facilitate an overpayment. If Sweeney empties the bank for him, and gives him all of the $9M+ that he actually has left to spend, we are in cap hell for the rest of the season - if not longer. We have been there before, and it sucks. I would not be surprised to see $8M x 7, $7M x 8, or some variation thereof. He will not get $9M.
He’s worth what he’s worth. If Sweeney can’t afford the price tag that’s got nothing to do with Swayman or his value.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Right. They specifically targeted Korpisalo because they wanted him and thought he was great value added.

So I'm sure you're calling on the front office to sign the statistically worst F in the league, and pay him $3m because Lysell has never played an NHL game.

Of course not, but we know if they were to do it, you'd find some way to say it was a great deal.
Jesus Christ relax. I never said it was anywhere near a great deal.

They didn’t want to go with Bussi alone. Isn’t that obvious?

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
He’s worth what he’s worth. If Sweeney can’t afford the price tag that’s got nothing to do with Swayman or his value.
The problem could be he thinks he is worth a lot more than his actual value. He is really pushing because he thinks Sweeney will have to give in to his demands.

Reactions: Gordoff

Beantown Beatdown

Sep 10, 2007
Hamilton
Does the NHL allow back loaded contracts? I was trying to find the answer myself but the language was confusing to me. Is it possible to sign Swayman to a $10M/Y average salary that builds up year after year?

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
….. I understand him wanting a long term deal. But he has to understand he hasn’t yet proven he can handle the number one workload…..
agree with your overall sentiment except…
He doesn’t “have to” realize anything.

he can believe he’s worth a massive LT deal.

Or He can purport to believe he’s worth that for negotiating sake.

What really matters is what the FO confidence in Swayman is, and how big the gap between the two camps is. Neither has to budge if they’re steadfast in their position.

If there ends up being a failure to get a deal done , this board will be entertaining but that outcome is really on no one. It’s just business and life.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
People asking for comps and saying if goalie x is paid this there’s no way Sway should be paid more just don’t get it. The aav and term of your deal has Jack shit to do with a deal another goalie signed 4 years ago. It’s all about the point in time today. The only problem Swayman has is that he’s an RFA vs a UFA. That’s the only possible leverage Boston has right now after Sweeney shit the bed by moving Ullmark before signing Sway. The team looking for a bridge type of deal is dumb though, and will likely end up costing them a ahitload more in actual dollars than locking a young stud goalie up now long term. But what do I know, I didn’t go to Harvard…

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
People asking for comps and saying if goalie x is paid this there’s no way Sway should be paid more just don’t get it. The aav and term of your deal has Jack shit to do with a deal another goalie signed 4 years ago. It’s all about the point in time today. The only problem Swayman has is that he’s an RFA vs a UFA. That’s the only possible leverage Boston has right now after Sweeney shit the bed by moving Ullmark before signing Sway. The team looking for a bridge type of deal is dumb though, and will likely end up costing them a ahitload more in actual dollars than locking a young stud goalie up now long term. But what do I know, I didn’t go to Harvard…

It's both. Comps are absolutely a thing. That's why they come up in arbitration.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
It's a tad ridiculous to say comparables aren't a thing when Swayman himself acknowledges they are, and that he wants to set a good comparable for future goalies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It's a tad ridiculous to say comparables aren't a thing when Swayman himself acknowledges they are, and that he wants to set a good comparable for future goalies.
But they’re not because each side has their own comps that are more favorable to them. It’s f***ing ridiculous. In reality he’s going to get paid whatever he gets paid. What Carey Price got 6 years ago has no relevance to it. Just like Price getting hurt well before the end of that contract has no relevance to the length of the deal Sway may get.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I'd rather not sign him and see what Bussi and Korpisalo can do. Dangle that cap space at Draisaitl.

Poor little baby can't handle arbitration and then mouths off about wanting to set the bar for other goalies get F'd.

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
But they’re not because each side has their own comps that are more favorable to them. It’s f***ing ridiculous. In reality he’s going to get paid whatever he gets paid. What Carey Price got 6 years ago has no relevance to it. Just like Price getting hurt well before the end of that contract has no relevance to the length of the deal Sway may get.

Nobody is talking about Price, and "whatever he gets paid" will be based partially on comps because that's how it works. Swayman implied that comps matter himself when he referenced setting the market for other goalies.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Def can’t pay him $10 mill but I don’t fault him for asking!
I don't either, however Swayman's agent knows the Bruins have their balls against the wall with the salary cap.
Perhaps the Bruins sent the wrong message by sending Ullmark to Ottawa, showing all of their cards and being "all in" on Sway.
Sways people are like "oh you are? Well it's going to cost you."
I thought 7 and 7 has a nice ring to it. 7 mil for 7 years. Maybe go 5 years.
8 mil........maaaaaaaaybe.
Over that to 10 mil is insane. He's a 40+ game guy per year. Yes he's a very good goaltender but the dude hasn't truly proven himself, by himself. If you want to be 9 to 10 million goalie, be prepared to handle 60 to 65 games per year, not 42.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Without delving in to the lockout protection/signing bonus structure aspects and focusing solely on the AAV...

Based on Cap% at time of signing for quite a few comps
(C.Hellebucyk, J. Gibson, I.Shersterkin, T.Demko, L.Ullmark, J.Saros, I.Sorokin, F.Andersen, V.Husso, C.Petersen, A.Hill, J.Binnington)

These are the highest $ contracts that I'd be comfortable with from the Bruins standpoint:
  • 2 or 3 yrs @ $6.0M
  • 4 or 5 yrs @ $6.5M
  • 6 yrs @ $7.0M
  • 7 or 8 yrs @ $7.5M

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
I watched that WHOLE podcast/interview and when you hear everything he says I cannot see him not being a Bruin this fall. Twitter out of context can be a ruthless and horrible thing.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The magic number will be around 8M and term at 6 years. I worry that one GM will offer Swayman an offer sheet that Sweeney will have to match.

The Cap is the creation of Jeremy Jacobs - 20 years ago there was no season mainly because Jacobs was fed up with Mike Ilitch willing to lose money to win a Cup.

Today can Sweeney make the numbers work? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad