Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman II - still waiting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Good to read this- I probably agree with you as much as anyone here on most stuff

Lou says and I agree go 4 years and deal with it then

He will be 29 and great age to cash in

Needs to show he can be counted on for 55+ games and take team on deep runs

He was outstanding against Lesfs and very good against Florida but was outplayed by Bob

He was ok against Panthers in game 7 in 2023 and Carolina in 2022

3 or 4 years makes sense and if he wants to play in the West so be it
4 years would be ideal. I just don’t see Swayman biting on it. His agent is notorious for dragging out contract negotiations.

And I’m by no means suggesting Swayman owes the team a hometown discount. We just don’t know how he’ll handle the workload of a true 1. Maybe in the end the agree on a one year deal.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
4 years would be ideal. I just don’t see Swayman biting on it. His agent is notorious for dragging out contract negotiations.

And I’m by no means suggesting Swayman owes the team a hometown discount. We just don’t know how he’ll handle the workload of a true 1. Maybe in the end the agree on a one year deal.
Four or eight but he didn’t take arbitration

If he wants to hold out till November that’s on him

If Swayman thinks he’s going to get a certain amount when cap goes up take 4

He can do as Necas did and go for 2 and leave after two years

I’m GM he has 3 options

4,6, or 8 years

I would suggest four years and if he’s as good as he thinks he’s a UFA

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I was turned off by the “I’m going to set the market/ I’m in business school” talk. Nothing wrong with thinking that way, but imo it would better suit him to keep that between himself & his agent. He stands to gain nothing from making those public statements.

8 years/ 8m
4 years/ 6.75m
1 year/ 6m

Reactions: Gordoff and KWbruin

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Giving him 8 years is risky unless its a lower cap number ~ under 8

Four years at $6.5 allows him to prove he can handle workload and lead a team to a Cup

This also allows him to live where he wants

I was turned off by the “I’m going to set the market/ I’m in business school” talk. Nothing wrong with thinking that way, but imo it would better suit him to keep that between himself & his agent. He stands to gain nothing from making those public statements.

8 years/ 8m
4 years/ 6.75m
1 year/ 6m
Haha

Was talking to Eric about this

Sway is bright I bet he would do very well in any school but the Bruins guys are all Ivy League economic, finance, and law background

Sway
1. Focus on hockey
2. Don’t shit on your biggest fans

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022

8 years/ 8m
4 years/ 6.75m
1 year/ 6m
Imo there are only two contract lengths that make sense. 2 years (Swayman) and 8 years (Bruins)

Bruins would not want 2, because Sway will jet. It's also a risk for him if he gets hurt, but would lead to UFA. 8 years ideal for both but could see Bruins going 7- 7.5 tops aav, and Swayman wanting 9.5aav. Also the lockout season possibility could be a sticking point.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Four or eight but he didn’t take arbitration

If he wants to hold out till November that’s on him

If Swayman thinks he’s going to get a certain amount when cap goes up take 4

He can do as Necas did and go for 2 and leave after two years

I’m GM he has 3 options

4,6, or 8 years

I would suggest four years and if he’s as good as he thinks he’s a UFA
4 years at 8.5M/ year is what I think he will get.
Svedeback should be ready by the end of this deal.

Reactions: Gordoff

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Yeah so I got a group of about 37 diehard Broons fans I meet with for breakfast every fifth Tuesday during odd-numbered months. These guys all pump their own gas and have shaken hands with at least one member of the 1978 team.

Too much hockey intelligence for HF. I'm only here as an emissary for the group so I can report back on all the silly things said by these simple-minded "fans" who wouldn't know Bob Sweeney's mustache if it tickled their asshole.

Anyway, they all agree Jeremy Swayman is a f***ing bitch and he'd be lucky to get 100k above league minimum every year for the rest of his career. Me personally I'd go as much as 200k over league minimum, but if he wants a dollar more I send him to Atlanta so he can wait there until the city gets another expansion team.

Sweeney knows he holds all the cards now that he has an established star like Korpisalo, who once threw back-to-back shutouts in Midgets.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

8 years/ 8m
4 years/ 6.75m
1 year/ 6m

When did he say he was going to set the market? I heard him say he wasn't going to ruin the goalie market for guys that'll be in his shoes down the line. Those are two completely different things.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Yeah so I got a group of about 37 diehard Broons fans I meet with for breakfast every fifth Tuesday during odd-numbered months. These guys all pump their own gas and have shaken hands with at least one member of the 1978 team.

Too much hockey intelligence for HF. I'm only here as an emissary for the group so I can report back on all the silly things said by these simple-minded "fans" who wouldn't know Bob Sweeney's mustache if it tickled their asshole.

Anyway, they all agree Jeremy Swayman is a f***ing bitch and he'd be lucky to get 100k above league minimum every year for the rest of his career. Me personally I'd go as much as 200k over league minimum, but if he wants a dollar more I send him to Atlanta so he can wait there until the city gets another expansion team.

Sweeney knows he holds all the cards now that he has an established star like Korpisalo, who once threw back-to-back shutouts in Midgets.
I am sure that breakfast joint looks forward to seeing you and your hand shakers, I can only imagine the anticipation's that must feel knowing that day is coming soon. Do you just shake hands or is signing autographs prohibited.

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Reading all these posts brought back memories of Ken Dryden leaving the NHL for a season.
Dryden was unhappy with the contract that the Canadiens offered him, which he considered less than his market worth, given that he had won the Stanley Cup and Vezina Trophy.
The difference being Swayman does not have those credentials.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I've said this before, but his production is nearly identical to Rask as the same age. If you gave Swayman the same deal you gave Rask but based on today's cap, you're looking at an 8yr / $9.5 million deal.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Swayman did himself a disservice by speaking publicly about this negotiation. And $10m per year is just ridiculous. 8x8.5 is I think the max of what is reasonable. If he is demanding a higher cap hit, then the term needs to be no more than 3 years. Let's see him turn down 68 million guaranteed to accept 27.5m guaranteed.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I am sure that breakfast joint looks forward to seeing you and your hand shakers, I can only imagine the anticipation's that must feel knowing that day is coming soon. Do you just shake hands or is signing autographs prohibited.

We would never touch a "normie."

If you don't know who Jeff Lazaro is we will literally beat the shit out of you. At least seven idiots will never walk again. That we know of.

So Jeremy Swayman better start doing his research when he's not too busy getting his useless degree!

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Swayman did himself a disservice by speaking publicly about this negotiation. And $10m per year is just ridiculous. 8x8.5 is I think the max of what is reasonable. If he is demanding a higher cap hit, then the term needs to be no more than 3 years. Let's see him turn down 68 million guaranteed to accept 27.5m guaranteed.

He'd be a UFA 28yr old if he signed a 3yr deal. Assuming his play continues like it is, he'd still be a well within his prime and a very sought after player.

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Do you really trust these guys to spend the savings the correct way?
No, I like what Sweeney has done and trust him in other places but my number 1 concern coming into this offseason was the way he spends money, I think it's his biggest weakness, although I like most of the additions/prices paid this offseason

Didn't Rask get his deal after he won a Vezina and went to the finals?
Yep and he had more than a season of being the number 1 goalie by then. He took over for injured Thomas in 2010 before giving it back to Timmy the next two years. Then obviously was starter the year before he signed

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Nobody is talking about Price, and "whatever he gets paid" will be based partially on comps because that's how it works. Swayman implied that comps matter himself when he referenced setting the market for other goalies.
Yeah because he and his team compiled a list of comps that are favorable to him, which like I said is inherently biased and useless. What matters at this point in time is what he can get from the Bruins or via offer sheet. That’s it. All the comps in the world won’t change that.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Yeah because he and his team compiled a list of comps that are favorable to him, which like I said is inherently biased and useless. What matters at this point in time is what he can get from the Bruins or via offer sheet. That’s it. All the comps in the world won’t change that.
So how do you know he's not worth $12M a year or $5M a year if you're not looking at comps?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Who do you think blinks first?

It isn’t pretty for either party, so let’s not pretend like holding out really hurts Swayman that much more than the team
They'd have to trade players to fit him in at an unreasonable $ for this season. Don't think that, or the team suffering in his absence, would be welcomed by his teammates or across the league. It would ultimately lower his value going forward.

IMO worst case scenario is that he signs short term to get to free agency and then bolts.

He's not going to burn down his own house by sitting out for an extended period. Unless he's a a real dummy

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So how do you know he's not worth $12M a year or $5M a year if you're not looking at comps?
Negotiating with the team or teams directly, and seeing what he gets? If Boston is lowballing him and he's asking for the moon, something has to give, no?

To me giving comps is like a potential employer asking you for a reference. You're not going to pick someone that says Marchy is f***ing lazy, doesn't show up at all, drinks while on the job, has bad breath, and steals from every job he's had, now are you?

So like I've said many times now, what are comps really worth? Absolutely nothing at all. It's just a negotiating tactic because they waived binding arbitration where they would have mattered.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Didn't Rask get his deal after he won a Vezina and went to the finals?
No, I like what Sweeney has done and trust him in other places but my number 1 concern coming into this offseason was the way he spends money, I think it's his biggest weakness, although I like most of the additions/prices paid this offseason

Yep and he had more than a season of being the number 1 goalie by then. He took over for injured Thomas in 2010 before giving it back to Timmy the next two years. Then obviously was starter the year before he signed

No, Rask won the Vezina the first year of his new deal.

As to the bolded, here are their starts by age/season for the 4 years leading up to their age 26 season:

1724943652247.png

In fairness to Swayman his age 22 season he spent most of it in the NCAA playing for Maine. I'm not sure how we're defining "being a #1" but Rask only led Bruins goalies in starts for 1 of the 4 seasons.

Reactions: Gordoff and NDiesel

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Negotiating with the team or teams directly, and seeing what he gets? If Boston is lowballing him and he's asking for the moon, something has to give, no?

To me giving comps is like a potential employer asking you for a reference. You're not going to pick someone that says Marchy is f***ing lazy, doesn't show up at all, drinks while on the job, has bad breath, and steals from every job he's had, now are you?

So like I've said many times now, what are comps really worth? Absolutely nothing at all. It's just a negotiating tactic because they waived binding arbitration where they would have mattered.
Again, you have to use some sort of comp to determine whether it's a lowball or asking for the moon though. What Saros just got, what Sorokin makes, what Hellebuyck makes are all important. They provide the guardrails. Why do you think there's always a thing where someone "sets the market"?Look at QBs/WRs in the NFL - comps matter. It's no different in the NHL. It's pretty safe to say he's worth between $6.5M and $9.5M a year - because of comps. Where on that scale he slots is the negotiation.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Again, you have to use some sort of comp to determine whether it's a lowball or asking for the moon though. What Saros just got, what Sorokin makes, what Hellebuyck makes are all important. They provide the guardrails. Why do you think there's always a thing where someone "sets the market"?Look at QBs/WRs in the NFL - comps matter. It's no different in the NHL. It's pretty safe to say he's worth between $6.5M and $9.5M a year - because of comps. Where on that scale he slots is the negotiation.
No you don't. Team makes an offer, player makes a counter offer. They then proceed to negotiate. Comps are used for arbitration to convince an impartial judge what they deserve in pay. As both sides are biased with their comps and will not be swayed by any one the other side uses, they are irrelevant. The team and the player know exactly what the market is with no comps needed, so now they're playing the game of how do I get the player for less than the going rate and the player is trying to get the team to pay more than market value.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Since I brought the Rask contract up I thought I dig back and see if I could find comments about the Rask signing......

Basically Chara/Crosby/Malkin/Stamkos money for a goalie who has only played one complete season?

I think chia doesn't negotiate at all. Over pays almost everyone

how could Chia not get the caphit under 7 while giving 8 years?

Don't like the deal. Too much money too long.

Most money ever given in world history to a hockey player who has never played a full season.

Not happy about it, the term or the price. What has he done to prove he's worth this?

hard to say he has completely proven that when the most games he has played in the regular season is 45.

waayyy to long, he will NEVER live up to this contract

I've played just as many full seasons as a #1 goalie in the NHL as Rask has.

A little bit steep for someone who's never played more than 45 games in a season

It's a lot of money but he'll probably be traded in a year so I'm not worried about it.

Me thinks this is insane. Buy-out in 4 years.

I mean what has he accomplished to deserve both the number of years and 7 million per?

It almost like history repeats itself lol

Reactions: KWbruin and NDiesel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad