GDT: Young Stars Tournament - Game 1 - Jets vs Flames - Friday, September 13th - 6:00 PM CT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I never understood why Kuzmin was sent down to the ECHL last year. Well deserved overtime winner.
He (Kevin) was good as well.
Zhilkin was good, as was Yager in spurts.
Lambert had some nice e plays.
Barlow’s name was almost never mentioned but he did a nice fake shot there at the end.
Julien did what he was supposed to do… go to the net. That will be his ticket to the NHL.
Was Salamonnsen playing?

Whis

Jul 1, 2016
Thought Lambert and Kuzmin were the best 2 players.

Was impressed with almost all the forwards at at least one point. Bottom 6 all looked pretty decent (Walton, Zhilkin, Levis especially).

Was thinking towards the end of game - Barlow might be the only one I hadn't noticed and he didn't get one of the first 4 shifts in OT. Then he had a great set up assist. Hopefully that will give him some confidence.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The one thing about Lambert that he's going to have to work on is to not open himself up for massive hits. He took some big ones today, that one in OT is one he can't open himself up for.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Some random thoughts about the first hockey game of the season.

Kuzmin seems to have improved his skating to the point where he has a good chance of being the offensive leader for the Moose this year. He deserved the GWG.

Salomonsson is not going to be a top 4 d-man on the Jets this year, so Neal Pionk haters will have to wait another year. He looks like he had some troubles adapting to North American ice, time and space. I expected him to be a little faster of a skater, closer to Lundmark. Lots of time to grow.

Anhorn should start for the Moose this year, he has some potential. Probably the oldest player in the tourney though, so nothing stand out about his game.

The other 3 defensemen all had their struggles out there, the 3rd pairing in particular was a trainwreck at times, which makes sustained offense hard.

Luckily you have Coughlan, Lundmark, Bauer and Sauntner likely on the Moose so it won't be that ugly this year.

Lambert showed some flashes, but Barlow looked like he was skating in cement at times. Eerily Vesalainen-esque. One step behind. Got benched and that seemed to help when he did get back in.

Jacob Julien was impressive, and you wonder if he isn't going to start on the Moose this season. Looks like a complete player. He, Walton and Levis all impressed me with good two way games.

Chibrikov had a nice finish, but he and Yager didn't really connect this game.

If Zhilkin and Torgersson are the 3rd line for the Moose this season, you might see a nice bounceback season from both. Torgersson has a lot to prove this year,if he wants to be an NHL player, he looked strong out there. Needs some finish though. With Walton that was probably the strongest line, that deserved a goal.

He looks like a good prospect. Some wheels on that kid.

AtomicJets

Dec 20, 2014
Kuzmin is still a little too chaotic for me, he's the type of player that gives coaches a heart attack.... That's ok if you are consistently delivering but if your offence dries up you don't get the benefit of the doubt for long

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Barlow wasn’t even noticeable until the 3 on 3.
He had one good shot, but he got beat in almost every 1 on 1 puck battle. Calgary had some good skaters on d out there but he's got to be quicker. I wouldn't mind seeing he and Yager switched up for next game, give Julien a shot to play 2C.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Quick thoughts (why not? edition)...

Really like our late picks from this year, He, Walton and Loponen. Walton played at a good pace and showed he can make plays at speed. That's impressive for a 6'6" forward at 18 in this scrambly style. Loponen was also confident and sharp with the puck in the first half. LW He plays a fast energetic game and is confident with the puck, and loves to shoot.

Lambert looked a step above the rest, and you could see how most of his teammates just don't play fast enough to complement him.

Chibrikov showed some of his edge and skills, but played a loose game overall.

Yager has more speed than I expected and is confident with the puck. I think he'll be better with mores structured play.

Barlow wasn't very involved. Is he still getting back to full speed? He needs another step. But he is an opportunistic player that finds space and jumps on opportunities.

Salomonsson looked sluggish and probably hasn't played in such a scrambled game for a few years.

Kuzmin was fun to watch but I'm not sure how he translates that type of game beyond the AHL level.

Zhilkin and Julien were solid enough.

Torgersson might have been the best forward, but just can't finish.

Anhorn will be a steady AHL D.

Lots of chaos with Milic in net, and that's generally not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad