Has Cale Makar already surpassed a prime Erik Karlsson in just his first 4 years?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Man, what I would have done to see Karlsson play on a team 75% as good as Colorado…

Karlsson in 2017 had 3 more points than the next guy and 7 more points than the 3rd best guy.

Makar had 4 more points than the next guy and 5 more points than the 3rd best guy.

Karlsson had +8 more than the 2nd best guy and Makar was significantly lagging in that category with 4 guys higher than him.

Karlsson’s playoff run(s) would have been something for the record books if he played on a deep team… what could have been, man. Would have cracked 100 points reg season and 30+ in playoffs.

Congrats to Cale for a sensational season.

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
The most impressive thing a player can do is be really good on a mediocre team.

as a defenceman that's actually true.

there are almost no norris winners or candidates that come from mediocre teams or non playoff teams.

they are almost all from contenders.

while any legit #1 who plays on a bad team people start asking if they actually suck. (hedman, chara, karlsson, doughty, keith etc happens to all)

a lot harder to stand out on a bad team as a top pair defenceman vs top pair on a contender playing with 4 ppg talents and a d-partner who himself was almost ppg.

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
as a defenceman that's actually true.

there are almost no norris winners or candidates that come from mediocre teams or non playoff teams.

they are almost all from contenders.

while any legit #1 who plays on a bad team people start asking if they actually suck. (hedman, chara, karlsson, doughty, keith etc happens to all)

a lot harder to stand out on a bad team as a top pair defenceman vs top pair on a contender playing with 4 ppg talents and a d-partner who himself was almost ppg.

Josi almost won this year and won 2 years ago on mediocre teams,
Same for Fox last year

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Josi almost won this year and won 2 years ago on mediocre teams,
Same for Fox last year

those teams aren't really that mediocre.

Predators have made the playoffs 8 straight seasons.

Fox had 4 players hit higher production than him and they were one of the best teams in the league this year.

I'm talking about teams that are basement dwellers.

Crossfire Hurricane

Sponsor
Aug 19, 2006
Redondo Beach

Fox had 4 players hit higher production than him and they were one of the best teams in the league this year.

Basement dwellers hardly seem like they'd qualify as mediocre. But if you added Makar (or another Norris level defenseman) to Arizona or Montreal, they wouldn't be basement dwellers anymore anyway.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Basement dwellers hardly seem like they'd qualify as mediocre. But if you added Makar (or another Norris level defenseman) to Arizona or Montreal, they wouldn't be basement dwellers anymore anyway.
at best they go from basement dwellers to mediocre and since there's no success no one really cares about Makar or that other Norris level defenceman because even if they perform at Norris level other defenceman playing on contenders will have more impressive stats, +/-, team success, and hype.

OvieGreat8

Apr 17, 2021
Scoring is easier.
Makar will never finish Top 5 in scoring ever like Karlsson so no.

Makar will never even be as good as Mike Green at the same age.

• Haha
Reactions: binop7

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Last thing I'll say is that I just completely reject the premise that we're forced to accept: that "prime Karlsson" was the guy that occured for a 19 game sample size in 2017 and that we can extrapolate that to his game the rest of the time. and we're just supposed to dismiss all the other evidence to the contrary.

That 2017 playoff model was actually him playing defensively over his head and that 'prime Karlsson' from 2013ish to 2018ish was not that guy. And that we're comparing Makar, who has a couple of years of this behind him already, to that quarter-season-sized sample?

The biggest issue in Karlsson's game was always defensive consistency. He showed he had the ability in 2017; but the other hundreds of games of his career he was the same flawed dude, excellent offensively, average-at-best defensively. Makar has already surpassed him on both fronts. And the incoming Conn Smythe will solidify that.
I think to call Karlsson defensively average is a gross exaggeration. He was terrible at defense.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014

All these 3 teams were 16th in the league points wise. So mediocre for me.

Crossfire Hurricane

Sponsor
Aug 19, 2006
Redondo Beach
at best they go from basement dwellers to mediocre and since there's no success no one really cares about Makar or that other Norris level defenceman because even if they perform at Norris level other defenceman playing on contenders will have more impressive stats, +/-, team success, and hype.
Well... Players from mediocre teams have won Norris trophies pretty regularly? Karlsson did it in 2015, unless you want to argue that the 2015 Senators wouldn't be a basement team without EK.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
All these 3 teams were 16th in the league points wise. So mediocre for me.

sure i guess mediocre is the wrong word. bad or basement dweller is more appropriate.

all three teams were much better than the teams Karlsson played for aside from perhaps 2011, the only time he got to play with another elite player and decent depth.

and even that 2011 team was no where near being a contender.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Again, how does a team get to within a goal of the finals if their best option on defence playing 30min a night is an 'adventure in his own end'? Seeing as they were not a high scoring team, it makes little sense.
I watched a lot of Senators hockey and over his career I don't think he was terribly good in his own end.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Makars resume is extremely impressive already. No doubt he will go down as the better player all time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad