Value of: Habs First Pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I don't see why Montreal would offer it. I would much prefer to have Mesar or the first round pick. Makes more sense for Dubois to wait if he wants to join the Canadiens. The team is much better with those assets. I don't see how it's desirable for Dubois to join the Canadiens one year earlier than he could as a free agent when the team will still not be competitive and the price of adding him is nice pieces for the future.
Yeah I think the Habs trading for Dubois is unrealistic. What we'd be willing to part with vs what he would fetch as a rental, or his value in his final season, is pretty much a non starter from Winnipegs POV.

Its not often that impact players choose to play in Canadian cities so I think its one of those things that you have to wait it out and take advantage of if he still feels the same way in 15 or so months.

Whole lot of assumptions here

My bet is that PLD isn't as fixated on MTL as Habs fans think. He has a list of places he wants to be and has informed chevy. He'll deal him to one of those teams and he'll extend.

I think MTL is on that list but they're not the only team. You guys will be saying "we could have had our long coveted francophone star for X but assumed we'd get him for nothing and here we are sucking still"
Whats not to say we spend assets on him and he stays one year with us and bolts to another destination in 2024? :laugh:

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

My bet is that PLD isn't as fixated on MTL as Habs fans think. He has a list of places he wants to be and has informed chevy. He'll deal him to one of those teams and he'll extend.

I think MTL is on that list but they're not the only team. You guys will be saying "we could have had our long coveted francophone star for X but assumed we'd get him for nothing and here we are sucking still"
Talk about a whole lot of assumptions.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Been some rumours Habs may go off the board with their pick. Guy they like slated to go later in draft. Our pick currently sits at 6th. Wondering what it's value would be to trade down? Ideally something between 8-25th. If a Team close to cap wants to move big contract. We have 20 million in caproom this summer. Could be a match?

Sens got Debrinkat for 7th last year, but this is better draft. Kings got Fiala for 19th. We could look this years version of similar trade. A first line forward plus 19th pick for the 6th? Or something basic like give us a 2nd for you to move up couple slots in draft?
Can we stop giving Brian Wilde the Time of day?! He’s saying this somehow before u18s, playoffs, combine and interviews and doesn’t even know where habs pick yet and doesn’t even give a name. He’s a former media guy doing media things

Reactions: Anardil

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Been some rumours Habs may go off the board with their pick. Guy they like slated to go later in draft. Our pick currently sits at 6th. Wondering what it's value would be to trade down? Ideally something between 8-25th. If a Team close to cap wants to move big contract. We have 20 million in caproom this summer. Could be a match?

Sens got Debrinkat for 7th last year, but this is better draft. Kings got Fiala for 19th. We could look this years version of similar trade. A first line forward plus 19th pick for the 6th? Or something basic like give us a 2nd for you to move up couple slots in draft?
What about Preds original 1st round pick , Preds 2nd rd pick + B prospect

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Ceci or Yamamoto, equppied with a 3rd and a 4th. We are very low on high picks...
This has to be trolling. A bottom pairing defenseman and a tiny injury-prone bottom-sixer (probably the most worthless type of “asset” possible)?

Those guys are worth about a 3rd round pick each at most.

So two 3rd round picks for 6OA? Lmao.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I feel it’s Honzek who he’s referring too. At 12-13 he may be a very good pick.
He's indeed big, but 12-13 is a reach for Honzek IMO. However, you can't deny the appeal of icing an all slovak line up!

Dvorsky, Honzek, Mesar, Slakovsky... Now find a way to get Nemec somehow.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
This has to be trolling. A bottom pairing defenseman and a tiny injury-prone bottom-sixer (probably the most worthless type of “asset” possible)?

Those guys are worth about a 3rd round pick each at most.

So two 3rd round picks for 6OA? Lmao.
Sorry for the low bar.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Link to rumours?
Was all over 690 last week. A member of media said he has inside info, Habs looking for size. They don't like Benson, Smith nor the Russian. I have an idea could be Giant's Honzek. He has size and Hughes shown strong preference for Slovs before. A caller said Habs going for a goalie. IDK.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That pick has really good odds of being Will Smith, Zach Benson... Why trade it???

Makes no sense. Won't happen

We are not trading our pick. Panthers pick for Dubois maybe but Habs pick won't be traded.

Was all over 690 last week. A member of media said he has inside info, Habs looking for size. They don't like Benson, Smith nor the Russian. I have an idea could be Giant's Honzek. He has size and Hughes shown strong preference for Slovs before. A caller said Habs going for a goalie. IDK.

There is no way the media knows what Gorton/Hughes, and our scouts are evaluating for this draft. Be careful with speculation cause in this case, they are wild guesses to get clicks or attention from fans.

Reactions: McJedi

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
6 pages of Dubois.

My goodness

DUBOIS should not be coming to Montreal in a trade. We need the assets and we can sign him in a year from this summer.

Let’s move on from this disgusting Dubois talk and talk about the value of Montreals First pick like the title says?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Habs have zero reason to trade for PLD in the offseason. Not with Dach emerging as a potential 2C this season and with our 2023 1st round pick. There really is no reason to trade for PLD. Habs are better off seeing where they stand with Dach/Suzuki (and 2023 1st) next season. If there is still a need, the potentially PLD will be available.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
No reason for Habs to trade that pick for Dubois. They aren't retooling, they are rebuilding. If they don't get Dubois as a UFA, that will piss off some overly optimistic fans but I doubt the GM is dumb enough to count on it as part of his strategy. Even a UFA signing might not work out so great, just look at Tavares.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
No reason for Habs to trade that pick for Dubois. They aren't retooling, they are rebuilding. If they don't get Dubois as a UFA, that will piss off some overly optimistic fans but I doubt the GM is dumb enough to count on it as part of his strategy. Even a UFA signing might not work out so great, just look at Tavares.
100% agree. Trading for PLD would be a PR move and a dumb one at that as you have to pay him 9+ million. What does that say to Kirby Dach who has emerged as a potential 2C and who is progressing at a rapid rate while on a sweetheart deal?

Habs are better off staying the course and using 2023/2024 to evaluate all positions. There may be a logjam at C come 2024 (with the 1st in 2023 draft and Dach's progression). And, if there is a need at 2C, then maybe PLD is available.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Don’t read anything into this at all. Last year the Habs held their cards close to their chest and no one knew they were going to pick Slafkovsky over Wright.

Why would they say that they are going off the board when the draft is still three months away?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I'm glad to hear the 15th is a good deal for PLD. That way the Jets can turn around and flip it for another 6'4 220lb 25 year old power centre who can score and plays with grit. After all, they grow on trees apparently.
He’s a UFA in 2024. Winnipeg isn’t working with much leverage here. Habs GM knows it. I know it. Everyone knows it.

He's a year away from Unrestricted Free Agency. Why would adding him require a subtraction somewhere else?

They have a bunch of money opening up off their cap and Dubois would be a UFA? Why are they having to subtract?
There will be a short window you can fit them. But Dach will be seeking a large raise on his next deal.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
What "rumours" are you referring to and why wouldn't the Canadiens just use the Panthers pick for a player they like that is slated to go later in that draft if there was any truth to that?

This makes zero sense. This alleged rumour sounds like utter nonsense. Please show me where you are getting these rumours from.
It’s from Brian Wilde of CTV. He went on TSN radio and said that unless the Habs win the lottery where the pick is a slam dunk (Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson), then Habs fans will not be happy about who management likes. He said that as early as 5th overall, Habs management wants size and will probably select someone people have ranked in the teens at that spot. We’ve also seen Reinbacher and Danielson jump up rankings recently.
Wilde also said that the Habs do not like guys like Zach Benson and Will Smith due to their lack of size and they want to get more power type players

Don’t read anything into this at all. Last year the Habs held their cards close to their chest and no one knew they were going to pick Slafkovsky over Wright.

Why would they say that they are going off the board when the draft is still three months away?
There were plenty of signs they were taking Slaf but Wright was just such a consensus pick that no one put too much thought into it

Reactions: Habs 4 Life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad