GDT: GAME 24: WINGS @ HABS | Back in the saddle? | Sat., Dec. 2nd, 2023, 7:00 PM ET -- CBC, TVAS, CITY, TSN690, 98.5FM

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will Josh Anderson score his first goal of the season tonight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I probably would have gone:

Caufield Suzuki Monahan
Gallagher Dvo Slaf/Anderson
Ylonen Evans Anderson/Slaf
Pearson Stephens Armia

We always talk about needing goal scorers. But man does that middle six ever need a play driver or a play maker. I'd like to get another Dach before another goal scorer.

Agreed, wouldn't mind an east-west guy who's actually creative with the puck, would do wonders, Suzuki can do that, from time to time Ylonen shows he has some creativity too... Dach is sorely missed.

Reactions: Runner77

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I disagree. You tank developing your kids and placing them in good conditions. They are obviously showcasing some underperforming vets and Molson shouldnt be surprised if the building is half empty soon enough.
Was not empty with way way worst teams

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Just a thought, could be completely off base here. What if MsL was basically given direction to try to give opportunity to Gallagher and Anderson to boost their trade value this year seeing that they're the only long teams contracts left on the team from undesirables
If thats the case, thats rather silly since no one really believe Gallagher's contract has a single chance to get moved. Anderson is falling in the same category with the season he is having.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Waste of a season if this lasts

MSL's only job this year is too give Slaf top 6 minutes with decent player , literally his only job ,He doesn't even have to win games lol all the other forwards on the team are completely irrelevant with Dach and Newhook out lmao.

MSL doesn't even have to win , his only worth to the club is the development of our forwards, does he not understand that?
The problem with having a coach that used to be a player. He’s too invested in the feelings of veterans and trying to get them going.

It’s also the problem with hiring a coach whose only experience is coaching Peewee. All he can do is communicate, there’s nothing else of substance.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
"Slaf is starting to break out!"
MSL: put him with Evans and Pearson
"Anderson hasn't scored since fidget spinners were a thing"
MSL: PP1
There are a couple of changes I would make to the roster.

But we have to get Anderson going. If Anderson doesn't contribute, he's not getting traded and is wasting space on the roster. If he does start contributing, he's either a valuable piece of the puzzle or a tradeable asset.

We absolutely cannot get stuck with 12M in cap space to Anderson and Gallgher not contributing anything over the next 4 years.

Reactions: Milhouse40

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Another easy win, Yzerfraud and his band of losers.
They're in a playoff spot, tied with the Leafs for points. And they're about to reunite a healthy Patrick Kane with Debrincat.

It's going to make the Yzerplan interesting.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
lol at Slaf playing with Evans and Pearson, but I like the top line. Need to get those 3 going again. The 4th line should be decent too I hope they get a regular shift.

Not swapping Gallagher/Anderson and Slafkovsky is almost mind-boggling though

Caufield-Suzuki-Monahan
Gallagher-Dvorak-Anderson
Pearson-Evans-Slafkovsky
Ylonen-Stephens-Armia
Habs needs goals badly. Forwards on the top 3 lines have much more of a track record scoring goals, Anderson included. Even Pearson does. Slaf is just interested in making nice passes. MSL knows it, and he knows that Slaf can’t snap out of this deeply-rooted obsession from one day to the next.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
I need to defend MSL here. A good power play QB needs to be able to shoot and distribute the pass. Then you need shooters and finishers. Montreal is very low on shooters. PKs know that Caufield will be the usual shooter. If you then substitute another guy that shoots with Slaf, it worsens the problem. Pk instructions are easy, little winger always shoots, big winger never shoots, only telegraphs slapshot fakes. MSL wants to win first.

Last edited:

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
My hope is that those lines only last 1 or 2 shifts, and that MSL is playing mind tricks with the Detroit coaching staff. He's shown he can play top 6 against the other teams top 4 D, I don't really understand the demotion when he was taking strides in his development.

On the other hand, Slaf will be THE guy on his line against weaker opposition. He has a chance to be dominant in the offensive zone, we've already seen flashes of it.

I think MSL wants him to shoot the puck and not just look for Caufield. That 2 on 1 last game (+Newhook injury) might've been what made MSL want to separate them. I don't really agree with the demotion, but I'll give MSL the benefit of the doubt on that one, we'll have to wait and see.

Reactions: Habssince89

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
The whole narrative about MSL so far as been that he is good for development. Well... Caufield is knda stalled and... then... babkis. That's about it. Slaf is now developing with Evans. Can Habs wake up and find a coach that can ACTUALLY develop his young players?

Reactions: Tyson

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I don't like seeing slaf that low, but he will get some good matchups and hopefully can take advantage.

So f***ing sad for Newhook. Hockey gods can be cruel

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
This season, the only two young players whose ice time I can complain about are Ylonen and RHP. And RHP got some good looks in the top 9.

Slaf, Barron, Strubble, have gotten good ice time. Remember it was MSL that put Caufield with Suzuki, and then Dach with them.

Evans plays with fast players. I would have loved to have seen Ylonen with them. Hopefully sooner than later Ylonen earns MSL's trust. It's a blind spot right now. Hopefully also, Hughes stops adding vets like Pearson to the lineup. Because we know MSL will use them over the young players. Armia is another problem vet.
I'm referring to the PP for the most part. Ylonen is a head scratcher but RHP was given plenty of rope and didn't produce when he was healthy. That's not on Marty.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
There are a couple of changes I would make to the roster.

But we have to get Anderson going. If Anderson doesn't contribute, he's not getting traded and is wasting space on the roster. If he does start contributing, he's either a valuable piece of the puzzle or a tradeable asset.

We absolutely cannot get stuck with 12M in cap space to Anderson and Gallgher not contributing anything over the next 4 years.
Get him going? Even if he scores he’ll just have 1 goal in 25 games. Nothing is getting him going. He won’t be going on some torrid McDavid-like pace.

We are spending $5.5m per year on a guy that draws penalties of which he contributes negative value on the PP.

Reactions: habsfan891

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I could understand the strategy but folks on a Saturday night who have somewhat embraced the rebuild want to see the young players playing and not a bunch of vets who have nothing to offer.
While supporting each othe ALL over the ice and playing some decent basic hockey. Put your concepts away Marty and don't bring them back out until you have a roster that has the modicum of a chance of executing them. Not the first time I've mentioned this. Why the bleep can't we play with triangles all over the ice like good teams do. This limited option bullshit is killing me our PP and our zone exit...
The losses would be a hell of a lot easier to take if this was how we operated.
As it stands now the recent wins haven't been satisfying and the losses had little to offer of a positive nature.

End of rant.

Reactions: Runner77 and Tyson

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
This whole raising trade value, etc is just crap

Most are 10 yr vets. GMs know what they are acquiring if trading for Anderson, Monahan, and company.

A 20 -40 game stretch isnt going to change 500+ prior games

Reactions: Runner77 and Tyson

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Most are 10 yr vets. GMs know what they are acquiring if trading for Anderson, Monahan, and company.

For the most part.
They just want to be sure the player they've an interest in is healthy.
They do have to have some production though or they won't get any attention.
I'm curious to see how Monahan's skating holds up with the young guys because he's looked slow as molasses fora while now.

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I agree with you in general, but going scoreless at the quarter season mark is exceptional enough that it's got to put a dent on his traditionally percieved value.

I can see GMs needing to see Anderson go on a run to restore some confidence in what they think they are getting.

With Monahan, it's injuries that make it tricky. Everyone knows he's a quality player, but I'm sure everyone is nervous about his injury history too

If he somehow manages to stay relatively healthy up the tdl, he's gone. Teams will play a premium for a quality center for a playoff push, but I'd still be worried if he could withstand the playoff grind.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If the Habs lost 8-0 tonight I would not care at this point. This is arguably the most frustrating season in recent memory.
I was frustrated last season around this time because we were banking too many points for our own good. The play of the kids offset that to some extent but it still gnawed at me.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I was frustrated last season around this time because we were banking too many points for our own good. The play of the kids offset that to some extent but it still gnawed at me.
My frustration is more with watching useless vets not bringing anything and not being called out while young players are mired on bottom lines.
Our top goal scorer has 7 goals and Bedard just scored his 11th. We can't be this bad can we?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad