G Laurent Brossoit (2011, 164th, CGY; traded to EDM)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Big fan. Has been better this year than anybody would have expected. Kid's a great player and definitely has the potential to be solid #1 NHL goalie.

This kid deserves his own thread. Was the highest drafted goalie out of the WHL in the 2011 NHL Draft, a 6th round choice of the Calgary Flames. He backboned the Edmonton Oil Kings to a WHL title this season and was just nominated as the CHL goalie of the week.

This kid is going to need to keep up his strong play heading into the biggest junior tournament in the world, the 2012 MasterCard Memorial Cup. To me, he's the top goalie in the event, with Michael Houser being the only guy close in that area.

Not only all of that, but he is now firmly entrenched on the Hockey Canada radar, with him being a potential candidate to start in the World Juniors.

EDIT: Oh yeah, he was also named WHL Playoff MVP last night.

Yep, coming along just as expected.

Congrats to him on his first career win.

EDIT: It's late, yes, he didn't win. Congrats to him on a strong showing in his first career NHL game.

Last edited:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Have they finally found a goalie in him ?
I hope so. But management will look at his stellar performance tonight and have him penciled in as the starter next season. :help:

e: what syz said above.

Yep, coming along just as expected.

Congrats to him on his first career win.
Didn't win, though he did everything possible to. He played fantastic and was the only reason it wasn't a 7-1 game.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Hope he does well - just not against the Flames.

I thought he was a decent prospect - just got shuffled out in the numbers game because the Flames didn't have room for Ortio, Gillies and Brossoit. All three still look like excellent prospects.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Hope he does well - just not against the Flames.

I thought he was a decent prospect - just got shuffled out in the numbers game because the Flames didn't have room for Ortio, Gillies and Brossoit. All three still look like excellent prospects.

Yeah, I considered him to be on par with Gillies if not higher. Just a more athletic type of goalie, fun to watch. Mind you, I've only ever seen a handful of games by either.

I'm not too bitter about the trade because Gillies and Ortio are both looking really solid. Sincerely hope Brossoit makes the Oilers next year (and that they get some real defencemen in front of him).

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Good game last night. Looks like he's had a good season in the AHL. Color me surprised.. cause he looked like trash in camp.

Brossoit should run the show in Bakersfield next season..
Playing goal for the Oilers can not be a good place to develop confidence.

Last edited:

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Unreal game last night
49 saves in his first ever game....looking forward to seeing him in the AHL playoffs and solidifying the starting role in Bakersfield next year (or splitting with O'Connor if they get him)

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Yeah, I considered him to be on par with Gillies if not higher. Just a more athletic type of goalie, fun to watch. Mind you, I've only ever seen a handful of games by either.

I'm not too bitter about the trade because Gillies and Ortio are both looking really solid. Sincerely hope Brossoit makes the Oilers next year (and that they get some real defencemen in front of him).

Funny thing is the Flames had too many goalie prospects, dealt Brossoit, then drafted another good one in Mason McDonald. So they've still got 3 top goalie prospects which seems like overkill.

Guess you can never have enough though. Goalies are always hard to project.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Funny thing is the Flames had too many goalie prospects, dealt Brossoit, then drafted another good one in Mason McDonald. So they've still got 3 top goalie prospects which seems like overkill.

Guess you can never have enough though. Goalies are always hard to project.

I think that speaks to their goaltending prospect depth. Havent missed a beat with him gone

Not sure where he was slotted when he was in Calgary, but he was improved in strides in OKC. He is now the go to goalie taking the majority of the workload and excelling

I pray he is in the AHL next year and maybe a bit after. Bringing him up next year behind that mess of a D-core would be a nightmare developmentally. He has been brought up slow thus far; put in ECHL and called up when he was too good for the league, given smaller role in OKC before earning #1 gig after stellar play, calle dup to NHL after good AHL stint. Hope that path continues

Oilers finally have a blue chip goalie prospect, need to develop him properly

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
One of the worst things that could have happened, happened last night. Brossoit stood on his head, and looked amazing. Now our "brilliant" management will think he is NHL ready, rather than let him marinate in the AHL for another year or two, and rush him to the bigs.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
I think that speaks to their goaltending prospect depth. Havent missed a beat with him gone

Not sure where he was slotted when he was in Calgary, but he was improved in strides in OKC. He is now the go to goalie taking the majority of the workload and excelling

I pray he is in the AHL next year and maybe a bit after. Bringing him up next year behind that mess of a D-core would be a nightmare developmentally. He has been brought up slow thus far; put in ECHL and called up when he was too good for the league, given smaller role in OKC before earning #1 gig after stellar play, calle dup to NHL after good AHL stint. Hope that path continues

Oilers finally have a blue chip goalie prospect, need to develop him properly

Do you think he's actually blue chip? Just curious because he looked great in yesterday's game but the sharks usually inflate goalie stats with a bunch of decent but not great shots (but I do think he made some great saves). Looked calm in net but I hope the oilers management isn't stupid enough to believe he can start next year. Would it be an improvement to try to acquire someone like Lehner in place of Brossoit or should the oilers look for an older goalie to take over until he is ready?

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Do you think he's actually blue chip? Just curious because he looked great in yesterday's game but the sharks usually inflate goalie stats with a bunch of decent but not great shots (but I do think he made some great saves). Looked calm in net but I hope the oilers management isn't stupid enough to believe he can start next year. Would it be an improvement to try to acquire someone like Lehner in place of Brossoit or should the oilers look for an older goalie to take over until he is ready?

Flames fan :D

Watched Brossoit while he was with the Oil Kings pre and post draft originally and up to when he was traded to the Oil.

One thing about him that I've always liked is he is a big game goalie. The guy gets better in pressure games (see his WHL playoff resume). But I've always found him to take awhile to learn and adjust. In short he learns well, but not as quickly as others. I think having him start next year with the Oilers would probably be a mistake, he has only had one full season of AHL, I think a 2nd one will do him a world of good. Playing him less or having him get shelled in the NHL would not be good for him. Brossoit has always gained and improved greatly in the 2nd year of any league he has been in, this is not going to be any different I think.

So in short, let him develop :)

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Hes excelled in almost every league, and I think his AHL play is a better sign of things to come then just 1 NHL game

The Oilers should go after Miller/Anderson and let Brossoit play a full AHL season next year, and then play back up in 2 years before taking over

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Hes excelled in almost every league, and I think his AHL play is a better sign of things to come then just 1 NHL game

The Oilers should go after Miller/Anderson and let Brossoit play a full AHL season next year, and then play back up in 2 years before taking over

Don't take this as me bashing the oilers cause I actually hope for the best with them and really like the talent they have. Im just curious about brossoit being a blue chip cause I've only heard of him a couple times before his game yesterday and when I think of blue chip, I think of Gibson, vasilevskiy, or mrazek with hellebuyck also being in the conversation.

Not trying to argue he isn't blue chip but think maybe its a bit soon to determine that?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Don't take this as me bashing the oilers cause I actually hope for the best with them and really like the talent they have. Im just curious about brossoit being a blue chip cause I've only heard of him a couple times before his game yesterday and when I think of blue chip, I think of Gibson, vasilevskiy, or mrazek with hellebuyck also being in the conversation.

Not trying to argue he isn't blue chip but think maybe its a bit soon to determine that?

Rookie AHL seasons

Brossoit: 49 games .916 s%
Mrazek: 42 games .916 sv%
Vasilevskiy: 25 games .917 sv%
Gibson: 45 games .919 sv%
Hellebuyck: 58 games .921 sv%

Brossoit was actually at around a .921% 40 games in before 60% of the AHL roster was called up to the Oilers

His numbers in the AHL are pretty much on course with all those guys. Maybe blue chip is a bit premature until he can post .925 or so in AHL, but his junior and AHL numbers are encouraging

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Rookie AHL seasons

Brossoit: 49 games .916 s%
Mrazek: 42 games .916 sv%
Vasilevskiy: 25 games .917 sv%
Gibson: 45 games .919 sv%
Hellebuyck: 58 games .921 sv%

Brossoit was actually at around a .921% 40 games in before 60% of the AHL roster was called up to the Oilers

His numbers in the AHL are pretty much on course with all those guys. Maybe blue chip is a bit premature until he can post .925 or so in AHL, but his junior and AHL numbers are encouraging

Yeah definitely gonna keep an eye on him. My only concern with those numbers is he's starting his rookie season being a year older than the others (I could be wrong but I'm on mobile and don't feel like checking at the moment). But yeah, this next year, hopefully as an ahl goalie, will be very interesting to help determine how good he really is.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Wow, it's one game. Scrivens did even better against the Sharks in one of his early games with Edmonton.

This doesn't solve Edmonton's goalie issues one bit.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Flames fan :D

Watched Brossoit while he was with the Oil Kings pre and post draft originally and up to when he was traded to the Oil.

One thing about him that I've always liked is he is a big game goalie. The guy gets better in pressure games (see his WHL playoff resume). But I've always found him to take awhile to learn and adjust. In short he learns well, but not as quickly as others. I think having him start next year with the Oilers would probably be a mistake, he has only had one full season of AHL, I think a 2nd one will do him a world of good. Playing him less or having him get shelled in the NHL would not be good for him. Brossoit has always gained and improved greatly in the 2nd year of any league he has been in, this is not going to be any different I think.

So in short, let him develop :)

Well said.

Another year or two in the AHL won't do any harm. Let him learn and I think he has all the ability to pay off.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Oilers fans should slow down a bit with this "starter soon" talk I'm seeing everywhere.

Remember last time a young unproven netminder shut down the Sharks?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Oilers fans should slow down a bit with this "starter soon" talk I'm seeing everywhere.

Remember last time a young unproven netminder shut down the Sharks?

Scrivens wasn't young and didn't have 1% of the resume he has at the same age

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He should be in Bakersfield next season getting 55-60 starts, he should be nowhere near the Oilers unless he wins a spot in camp or we have injuries to our goaltenders at the time. I think that we have a player here but rushing him would be a bad idea with the POS defense that he has in front of him.

Shink

Sep 25, 2014
Known this dude since he just a youngin in Port Alberni. Such an awesome guy from an awesome family. You Oiler fans are so lucky to have Laurent as a prospect. No doubt he'll be great for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad