G Laurent Brossoit (2011, 164th, CGY; traded to EDM)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Goalies seem to be late bloomers and products of their teams respective system. Good on him. Does it mean it translates into the NHL ? who knows.

goaliedad29

Dec 20, 2011
Goalies seem to be late bloomers and products of their teams respective system. Good on him. Does it mean it translates into the NHL ? who knows.

Don't know if I would really call him a late bloomer as this is his first season as a starter in the CHL, but his development from the beginning of this season to now is fantastic. The thing about him that I do think will translate to success at the next level is that along with being a big, really athletic goalie, he is also extremely sound technically. I think he plays a lot like Jonathan Quick, and if Brossoit can remotely approach that level, he will be a very solid pro. I think the rest of Canada will really take notice of him at the Memorial Cup.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Would have never expected this from him after what I saw last year. Seems to have found some consistency within the game and from game to game. Fun goalie to watch.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Don't know if I would really call him a late bloomer as this is his first season as a starter in the CHL, but his development from the beginning of this season to now is fantastic. The thing about him that I do think will translate to success at the next level is that along with being a big, really athletic goalie, he is also extremely sound technically. I think he plays a lot like Jonathan Quick, and if Brossoit can remotely approach that level, he will be a very solid pro. I think the rest of Canada will really take notice of him at the Memorial Cup.

Same. Very similar styles.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I had never heard of Brossoit before the Flames drafted him.

He was a backup his draft year and frankly his stats were pretty bad - I wasn't all that impressed with the pick, but the Flames obviously saw something in him because it looks like a very good pick now.

I'd be interested to know why they picked him or what they thought they saw in him.

It's early, but the Flames draft class from last year looks pretty solid - Baertschi, Granlund, Wotherspoon, Gaudreau and Brossoit all had pretty good years.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

He was a backup his draft year and frankly his stats were pretty bad - I wasn't all that impressed with the pick, but the Flames obviously saw something in him because it looks like a very good pick now.

I'd be interested to know why they picked him or what they thought they saw in him.

It's early, but the Flames draft class from last year looks pretty solid - Baertschi, Granlund, Wotherspoon, Gaudreau and Brossoit all had pretty good years.

Goalies are always a tough thing to judge. I personally had Brossoit rated 3rd in the WHL in regards to first time eligible goalies. He went first out of the guys I had ranked and is clearly the top guy now for a reason.

I saw him live only once last year and he was so-so in the game. What was clear though was the fact that he was a big body that didn't have a hard time moving in the net.

For a goalie, that's almost enough reason right there to pick him in the 5th-7th round.

Tont

May 4, 2006
I remember hearing one of the Flames' scouts talking about Brossoit last year after the draft, saying that he was very big and tremendously athletic, but also quite raw technically. Sounded like his size and athleticism is why they picked him, with the hopes he could become more technically sound. Looks like that has happened this year. Hopefully he can continue to be a standout in the Memorial Cup.

the-rasta-masta

Jul 14, 2002
calgary
Visit site
I seem to remember right after the draft last year there was an article about who some scouts thought were the best dark horse picks in the draft. It was notable to me because he listed both Gaudreau and Brossoit, who obviously are both Flames picks. I'll see if I can find the article.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I seem to remember right after the draft last year there was an article about who some scouts thought were the best dark horse picks in the draft. It was notable to me because he listed both Gaudreau and Brossoit, who obviously are both Flames picks. I'll see if I can find the article.

I seem to remember that too.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary

Funny, because I like Gaudreau and Brossoit more than the Flames second round duo of Granlund and Wotherspoon.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Funny, because I like Gaudreau and Brossoit more than the Flames second round duo of Granlund and Wotherspoon.

I've never really thought much of Wotherspoon, but Granlund is much much better than I ever expected him to be.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I've never really thought much of Wotherspoon, but Granlund is much much better than I ever expected him to be.

Radio analyst of the Portland Winterhawks Andy Kemper seems to be fairy high on Tyler Wotherspoon, and believes he will have a long and steady career in the NHL ( I know he is not exactly a great source, but he does have over 20+ years of watching/calling the winterhawks). He noted that it is very tough for Tyler to get the recognition he deserves when he is surrounded by such offensively potent and high impact players in Joe Morrow and Derek Pouliot.

I tend to agree with him, at first I was skeptical about the selection but after watching him closely throughout these playoffs, I can definitely say that I expect him to be a NHL player at some point in time. I was actually quite surprised with his puck moving abilities, and his poise in his own end. It was certainly not a "sexy" pick, but I personally like it.

Anyways back on topic, Brossoit has certainly catapulted his game to another level this year, and specifically in these playoffs. It is always difficult to to put a projection on a goaltender at such a young age, but with his set of skills and size it's tough not to get overly optimistic about his future.

He should definitely get an invite to the summer evaluation camp for Canada, and just might make a strong push for a spot on the team come December.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary

Granlund strikes me as a player who is too small to play a 3rd line role and won't be good enough to play a top-6 role. He has Dustin Boyd written all over him.

Wotherspoon just screams low upside to me. I dislike drafting guys in the top-60 who really only project to be bottom-pairing defensemen.

I digress. Head-to-head against Subban next year at the WJC, what are the chances Brossoit can take the starting job if he keeps up his play?

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

At the begining of the year in 2010-2011 he started as 3rd stringer, by the end of the year he was actually the starter as a 17 year old. I think it was a no brainer he was going to get a lot of time this year, and was very much worth a mid/late pick.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Granlund strikes me as a player who is too small to play a 3rd line role and won't be good enough to play a top-6 role. He has Dustin Boyd written all over him.

Wotherspoon just screams low upside to me. I dislike drafting guys in the top-60 who really only project to be bottom-pairing defensemen.

I digress. Head-to-head against Subban next year at the WJC, what are the chances Brossoit can take the starting job if he keeps up his play?

There's a chance, but as usual he will be facing stiff competition. You can also expect guys like Matt Murray and Malcolm Subban to start getting more attention from Hockey Canada.

jeremywilhelm

Oct 17, 2008
I watched Brossoit several times this season in Edmonton. I was never really impressed, he seemed to have a tough time tracking the puck.

That being said, the kid has absolutely stepped up hugely in the playoffs, a completely different player.

goaliedad29

Dec 20, 2011
I watched Brossoit several times this season in Edmonton. I was never really impressed, he seemed to have a tough time tracking the puck.
That being said, the kid has absolutely stepped up hugely in the playoffs, a completely different player.

Just wondering what your definition of "several" is because I couldn't disagree with you more. You could count on one hand the number of rough games he had this year and still have fingers left over. I think tracking the puck and controlling his rebounds has been one his absolute strengths all season. In fact, I would argue he has been the Oil Kings regular season MVP as well.

I don't think he has been all that different in the playoffs... I think his excellent play has just continued on a bigger stage.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Amazing game in the Super Series for Laurent. 30save shutout and 3 for 3 in the shootout! Rough start to the season, but he has been looking great the last month..

Sep 13, 2009
Between the pipes is easily Calgary's biggest strength with Irving, Ramo, Brossoit, Ortio and potentially Taylor who has been putting up nice numbers with the Heat this year. Calgary will have a pretty nice problem and luxury when it comes to finding a replacement for Kipper.

Don't forget Gillies, who's tearing up the NCAA this season. Calgary has maybe the best stable of goaltending prospects in the NHL. :handclap:

Sep 13, 2009
They've also got Ramage in the NCAA - looks like he could be a solid 4-6 stay-at-home type in the long run.

But you're right - it seems like most of their picks are from the WHL and NCAA. They did take Granlund from Europe last year and he's had a solid year as well. And they did pick Erixon in the 1st a couple of years ago (although we all know how that turned out).

Quite well actually, we got Horak in that deal (amongst others).

Calgary has been quietly building up their prospect pool over the last 2-3 years. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad