G Laurent Brossoit (2011, 164th, CGY; traded to EDM)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Quite well actually, we got Horak in that deal (amongst others).

Calgary has been quietly building up their prospect pool over the last 2-3 years. :nod:

Horak, Wortherspoon and Granlund.

You're absolutely right.

Baertschi, Janko, Sieloff, Wortherspoon, Gaudreau, Brossoit, Gillies, and Granlund all in two drafts!

Last edited:

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Brossoit has had a great season, but has been LIGHTS OUT since team Canada evaluation camp.

Big, athletic goaltender, with promising upside. Hopefully we see him with the Heat next season!

And a terrible mental game that could have impacts on his future career.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I feel like the biggest problem is that age gap group. Flames have good roster players around 30 and above. They have some nice prospects that I think will be NHL'ers, Arnold, Reinhart, Baertschi, Nemisz, Bouma, etc. Leach, Wotherspoon, Ramage on D.

What they seem to be missing is that age gap of 22-27, I think that's sort of what they plan to use the college FA signings for.

Ummmm... Leach is no longer Flames property. He wasn't resigned. Feaster also strongly hinted Ramage isn't in the future plans. The organization is very high on Gaudreau and Horak is an NHL lock.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Damn Broissoit is a beast! I wonder if he's had any boxing training? He had great head movement dodging those punches and his uppercuts were nasty! I was really surprised by that.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Right, so you can tell how he his weak mentally how?

Gets rattled after letting weak goals.
Lets in weak goals at consistent bases.
90% of goaler is mental game.

There is a lot of talent there, so I am not calling him a bad player. Just needs to improve on mental game to succeed.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
My two years of viewing him.

No offense but that doesn't tell you about his mental toughness at all and having seen him for 2 years as well I wouldn't say he is mentally weak. He does get down on himself when lets a bad goal I agree but he doesn't do it that often.

Apathetic

Oct 29, 2010
Downtown
No offense but that doesn't tell you about his mental toughness at all and having seen him for 2 years as well I wouldn't say he is mentally weak. He does get down on himself when lets a bad goal I agree but he doesn't do it that often.

I would say he is prone to letting in bad goals pretty often tbh. The kid has a lot of talent no doubt but I think S E P H's evaluation is relatively fair.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I would say he is prone to letting in bad goals pretty often tbh. The kid has a lot of talent no doubt but I think S E P H's evaluation is relatively fair.

I have seen him 10-15 times in the last 2 years and the Memorial Cup, I can only remember 2 bad goals and he did look rather shaky afterwards but I would not say he is mentally weak must young goales look shaky after a bad goal. I could be wrong but I haven't seen much to say he is mentally weak.

Oct 15, 2008

No it really isnt.

I wasnt a Brossoit fan two years ago, but he made me one last year. He didnt start off the year well but has picked up his game.

Any goalie who plays like he did during the playoffs (winning the mvp) is NOT mentally weak.

Mentally weak is Luongo flopping around on his belly, letting in soft goals and collapsing in the playoffs and playing like a skitterish cat in the Olympics.

You guys are too much sometimes.:shakehead

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Goalies are a neurotic lot by nature. It's true that Brossoit can self-destruct at times, but that can also be said about many top starters in the NHL. A goalie with an unshakable mental game is a very rare thing.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
No it really isnt.

I wasnt a Brossoit fan two years ago, but he made me one last year. He didnt start off the year well but has picked up his game.

Any goalie who plays like he did during the playoffs (winning the mvp) is NOT mentally weak.

Mentally weak is Luongo flopping around on his belly, letting in soft goals and collapsing in the playoffs and playing like a skitterish cat in the Olympics.

It's also easy to play in front of Gernat, Pysyk, Reinhart, Lowe, and Corbett. ;)

Nobody has called him a bad goaler, I am just stating what his main weakness is and how it could impact his career.

Oct 15, 2008
It's also easy to play in front of Gernat, Pysyk, Reinhart, Lowe, and Corbett. ;)

Nobody has called him a bad goaler, I am just stating what his main weakness is and how it could impact his career.

Not so much when you are playing against Sven Bartschi and Ty Rattie. He was outstanding. That cant be overstated. You could have said that about him before that maybe, but not anymore. He has really grown in the last couple years. I think Ive seen him pulled once in the last two years. That doesnt sound like a goalie who is weak mentally.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I have seen him 10-15 times in the last 2 years and the Memorial Cup, I can only remember 2 bad goals and he did look rather shaky afterwards but I would not say he is mentally weak must young goales look shaky after a bad goal. I could be wrong but I haven't seen much to say he is mentally weak.

Sam Consentino often mentionned that Team Canada questionned the mental aspect of his game as well. That's why they sent him to play the 2nd game in the Subway Super Series to see how he'd respond to a great performance. He had a tough start and TC saw what they feared for.

Apathetic

Oct 29, 2010
Downtown
No it really isnt.

Maybe we have a different definition of mentally weak. When Brossoit is on his game he is fantastic. He will have games where he lets in a softie and has a rough night. You can say this is common in young goaltenders but this doesn't mean he is free from criticism from it. Elite goalies have the ability to shake off a bad goal, I question this about Brossoit.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Maybe we have a different definition of mentally weak. When Brossoit is on his game he is fantastic. He will have games where he lets in a softie and has a rough night. You can say this is common in young goaltenders but this doesn't mean he is free from criticism from it. Elite goalies have the ability to shake off a bad goal, I question this about Brossoit.

You can also call it inconsistency, which I personally consider it to be part of the mental game (for players and goalers).

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Sam Consentino often mentionned that Team Canada questionned the mental aspect of his game as well. That's why they sent him to play the 2nd game in the Subway Super Series to see how he'd respond to a great performance. He had a tough start and TC saw what they feared for.

Judging by how their goalies and team performed I think it is safe to say their choices are questionable.

Oct 15, 2008

Right, because Subban and Binnington never let in bad goals. Hockey Canada put Kevin Prendergast in charge of the WJT. That says all you need to know about them.

Oct 15, 2008

Mentally weak means consistently folds under pressure.

Pretty hard to say that about a guy who was the WHL playoff MVP.

Gary83*

Ummmm... Leach is no longer Flames property. He wasn't resigned. Feaster also strongly hinted Ramage isn't in the future plans. The organization is very high on Gaudreau and Horak is an NHL lock.

lol. Are you seriously bumping a post of mine from almost a year ago? You know, when Leach was looking to at least be a serviceable bottom pairing d-man, or when Ramage would be more of a need for Flames before Wotherspoon took a good leap in development. Good stuff.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
You can also call it inconsistency, which I personally consider it to be part of the mental game (for players and goalers).

I'm not saying Brossoit was consistent, but by the same token you can hardly say Subban was the model of consistency either during camp or during the tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad