Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Murray was actually decent in Tor and the season before in Ott. He just always got injured. Korpi hasn't looked that bad here either. The structure has to improve considerably though. The amount off odd man rushes will kill anyones save %
Murray was garbage and injured before he got here. The post was goalies looked good before coming here. Korpisalo has always been streaky. I am not saying Korpisalo has been terrible, but he hasn't been a steady starter ever, and it was certainly a gamble giving him all that term.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I have no such evidence but no one has evidence that this roster wouldn't drastically improve under a new voice either. I think you have to try that first before shipping a player out.
Ideally yes but we don't have a lot of time, we've already wasted a lot of it and this season is another tank year.

With how hard trades are to pull off, we should be making decisions on who are the good players we can ship out are now. We are getting some very honest look at what our core players are when things are at their worst, this is valuable info in terms of evaluation.

I agree that you don't want to make a big trade before a new coach is chosen but decisions on who can go need to be made ASAP. Maybe the new coach changes people's minds but that is a best case scenario; the likely one is that this roster needs surgery, we quite simply suck.

That is why DJ isn't getting fired just yet I think.

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Ideally yes but we don't have a lot of time, we've already wasted a lot of time and this season is another tank year.

With how hard trades are to pull off, we should be making decisions on who are the good players we can ship out are. We are getting some very honest look at what our core players are when things are at their worst, this is valuable info in terms of evaluation.

I agree that you don't want to make a big trade before a new coach is chosen but decisions on who can go need to be made now. Maybe the new coach changes people's minds but that is a best case scenario; the likely one is that this roster needs surgery, we quite simply suck.

That is why DJ isn't getting fired just yet I think.
nah. Any trades should be done in the offseason.

Get a new coach asap and see the product improve. Its obvious that these guys aren't sure how to play together. They have a lot of skill on the roster

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I was a HUGE fan of Batherson, but he won't survive here. He'll be moved for something I would assume - in the off-season.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
A big benefit of the change in coach/system, is that they can see if there were players who were a victim of bad coaching rather than something else.

For example, some people have suggested we trade Chabot, which I don't agree with, but if the management for some reason wasn't high on his current performance, this change at least gives them the chance to see if it was the system rather than the player in that system that they didn't like.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
A big benefit of the change in coach/system, is that they can see if there were players who were a victim of bad coaching rather than something else.

For example, some people have suggested we trade Chabot, which I don't agree with, but if the management for some reason wasn't high on his current performance, this change at least gives them the chance to see if it was the system rather than the player in that system that they didn't like.
Spot on - this is why it needed to happen even if the season is lost.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

could be difficult to move him

With Ottawa needing to reduce their cap, teams were apparently calling on him recently, but that doesn't indicate the kind of trades that were offered.

I think he might have been difficult to get value for this past summer or early in this season. There have been lots of great players traded for basically nothing because of term and cap.

The cap is going to go up this off season, so if they decide to trade him, that might be the time to do it. I think if they do trade him, it will be another Zibanejad type situation, where he goes somewhere else and becomes a legitimate 100+ point superstar.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

could be difficult to move him
I doubt it to be honest. I think we can take salary back and Drake is a good player, just the shittiest 2-way player ever unfortunately.

let Martin cook
Yes, but....yes, let's go with that for now and hope, because honestly, really think Bath has the tools to be a PPG player and a can assert himself more as a 2-way player.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I was a HUGE fan of Batherson, but he won't survive here. He'll be moved for something I would assume - in the off-season.
I'll bet Batherson is here next season. I'd even be willing to bet Batherson is here for the remainder of his contract if you want to give me odds. If not, I'll bet 1 to 1, nothing crazy, up to $500–$1,000. That Batherson will be here for Game 1 next season.

Reactions: ottawagm

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Problem is we don't have a top 6 RW in the system to replace him.

Tarasenko isn't staying and Giroux is getting old and is a UFA after next year. Joseph can play either wing but I don't know if he'll perform at this level next season.

If he refuses to play defense after Martin installs some discipline then I'll consider trading him, but I'm hopeful there will finally be accountability for lazy one-dimensional play.

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
Problem is we don't have a top 6 RW in the system to replace him.

Tarasenko isn't staying and Giroux is getting old and is a UFA after next year. Joseph can play either wing but I don't know if he'll perform at this level next season.

If he refuses to play defense after Martin installs some discipline then I'll consider trading him, but I'm hopeful there will finally be accountability for lazy one-dimensional play.
Batherson and Stutzle might benefit the most from Martin. Tkachuk a close third.

• Love
Reactions: DrEasy and NB613

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Batherson and Stutzle might benefit the most from Martin. Tkachuk a close third.

The team (particularly the defense) will benefit but stopping the forwards from cheating for offense may hurt their numbers.

Hopefully those 3, among others, decide they'd rather win hockey games than get on the scoresheet as much as possible.

Reactions: bert and DrEasy

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I'll bet Batherson is here next season. I'd even be willing to bet Batherson is here for the remainder of his contract if you want to give me odds. If not, I'll bet 1 to 1, nothing crazy, up to $500–$1,000. That Batherson will be here for Game 1 next season.
I could see it go either way, i just think he's the all offensive, no defense guy that would make the most sense for the incoming gm to turn into a righty dman.

I hope he gets better in the other 2 parts of the ice, because he can be be special offensively

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Yeah, that's an easy money bet. Great value contract relative to production and a right-hand shot too. No way he gets moved unless it's for a significant upgrade and I can't really conceive of what that trade would look like.

Reactions: ottawagm

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
I think it's more likely we move one of Chabot or Chychrun to make room for Kleven, or another more defensive minded physical LHD.

What kind of return could we get for a 50% reduced Chychrun at the deadline? I think it would be a haul for a contender looking for a #2 D at 2.3M for next year as well.

Reactions: bert and DrEasy

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
The team (particularly the defense) will benefit but stopping the forwards from cheating for offense may hurt their numbers.

Hopefully those 3, among others, decide they'd rather win hockey games than get on the scoresheet as much as possible.

You raise good point. Hurting their numbers would hurt their contract negotiations if they were on an expiring contract. They are under contract for a few more years so I hope there is lowered financial incentive to rack up offense and hopefully they want to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad