Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
I wouldn't. Dude has a horrific contract. The way goalies have been having shorter and shorter primes over the past 10-15 years, it would be insane to have an $8+ million netminder on the roster. I don't care if he's the best in the history of the NHL to ever put on the pads....that contract isn't going to age well. It'll handcuff the team for years.
The same way Bob's 10M AAV has handcuffed the back to back Stanley Cup Final Panthers? I understand the sentiment that you don't really want to pay that much for a goalie since they are voodoo but lets not invent this fiction that the team would be crippled because it's been done before with a higher contract in an era with a lower cap

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I don't think anyone is questioning or exoecting him to ask out between now and the end of the coming season, that wouldn't make sense from his persepctive as he has a single season left before he gets complete control of where he gets to go.

If we have a bad season, Brady has the ability to play wherever he wants come July 1st. It only makes sense to make any request after July 1st, should he want too.

He doesn't have to request a trade. If he is traded, he probably won't - it will be a game of chicken/optics.

Let's say we finish in the basement again this season, look at the situation you're in if you're Staios and Brady says anything but "I want to stick it out here for the rest of my career, I knew we just need a few more years of re-tooling and we can be a contender, I love the Carp fair and they don't have a comparable event in other cities."

Then Staios is in a situation where he knows he has a demoralized Brady, his NMC is about to activate, and even if they keep him they have to explore trading him in 1 or so seasons anyways because it isn't like he has lots of term remaining. He has 3 years left starting in 2025-26. Teams that are not winning typically try to engage their stars in their willingness to stay when the star has 2 years left, because that gives them more runway to make a great deal (see Chychrun).

Ultimately, I cannot fathom the team keeping him after July 1st 2025 if we miss the playoffs in 24-25 and Brady doesn't give a strong and firm indication that he trusts the process and wants to be here for life. He won't ask for a trade, and ultimately that is better for both sides. It is better for the player optics wise, and it's better for the team in terms of negotiations with other teams. (With that said, other teams aren't stupid and can recognize the choke point that comes with July 1st 2025).

The Matthews situation in Toronto was somewhat similar, except easier for them to manage because he was eligible for his extension. They engaged him prior to July 1st, and he made them feel comfortable that he wanted to stay in spite of all the first round exit stuff, so they took the risk of carrying him beyond July 1st because it was reasonable to expect that he would stay. Had he said "I'm not sure I want to play out the season", maybe they would have had to try and get something for him. Similar to if Brady says that he isn't sure about the direction of the team and doesn't trust we are close enough for him, then entering into a situation where his NMC activated and they probably have to trade him anyways a year or two later from a massive position of weakness would be strategically incompetent.

I'm not saying he's gone, but this is all common sense following how the league works in terms of player movement, NMCs, how star players operate when they have the leverage to get out of a bottom feeding team and go to a contender, etc.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'm not sure what they want. Probably a MUCH tougher top 9. Where's the toughness and sandpaper in our top 9 aside from Chuck and Greig? Sure, Giroux has some sandpaper and I suppose Pinto could as well, but in reality we counted on 2 guys to be aggressive on defenders - and we saw how easy we were to play against.

I think you're looking at a burly LW who can score 20, but more importantly plays a heavy game (preferably 2-way] and a 3rd line RW who plays a heavy game as well, although, I also think Norris could move to wing and a 2C with toughness could be looked at.

In any event, there's a lot to do. They'll want a RD for sure and an upgrade (lol] in net, but I think you'll see team toughness addressed - and I don't mean a McEwen style player
Jeannot may be available and bertuzzi may be available.

But I think they will go “good pro” before tougher players.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
The same way Bob's 10M AAV has handcuffed the back to back Stanley Cup Final Panthers? I understand the sentiment that you don't really want to pay that much for a goalie since they are voodoo but lets not invent this fiction that the team would be crippled because it's been done before with a higher contract in an era with a lower cap
Pretty much this. $8 million aav isn't a crippling contract. Especially, if we can move on from Forsberg and Korpisalo.

Zaitsev's contract was more crippling for us in our back end the way management stuck with him for so long. Sorokin's contract only becomes an issue if management isn't good enough to ice a good D and find a way to get rid of our current goalies without giving up the farm.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
He doesn't have to request a trade. If he is traded, he probably won't - it will be a game of chicken/optics.

Let's say we finish in the basement again this season, look at the situation you're in if you're Staios and Brady says anything but "I want to stick it out here for the rest of my career, I knew we just need a few more years of re-tooling and we can be a contender, I love the Carp fair and they don't have a comparable event in other cities."

Then Staios is in a situation where he knows he has a demoralized Brady, his NMC is about to activate, and even if they keep him they have to explore trading him in 1 or so seasons anyways because it isn't like he has lots of term remaining. He has 3 years left starting in 2025-26. Teams that are not winning typically try to engage their stars in their willingness to stay when the star has 2 years left, because that gives them more runway to make a great deal (see Chychrun).

Ultimately, I cannot fathom the team keeping him after July 1st 2025 if we miss the playoffs in 24-25 and Brady doesn't give a strong and firm indication that he trusts the process and wants to be here for life. He won't ask for a trade, and ultimately that is better for both sides. It is better for the player optics wise, and it's better for the team in terms of negotiations with other teams. (With that said, other teams aren't stupid and can recognize the choke point that comes with July 1st 2025).

The Matthews situation in Toronto was somewhat similar, except easier for them to manage because he was eligible for his extension. They engaged him prior to July 1st, and he made them feel comfortable that he wanted to stay in spite of all the first round exit stuff, so they took the risk of carrying him beyond July 1st because it was reasonable to expect that he would stay. Had he said "I'm not sure I want to play out the season", maybe they would have had to try and get something for him. Similar to if Brady says that he isn't sure about the direction of the team and doesn't trust we are close enough for him, then entering into a situation where his NMC activated and they probably have to trade him anyways a year or two later from a massive position of weakness would be strategically incompetent.

I'm not saying he's gone, but this is all common sense following how the league works in terms of player movement, NMCs, how star players operate when they have the leverage to get out of a bottom feeding team and go to a contender, etc.
I’m not worried about the NMC at all, if he was on last year Ike Marner, sure, but he has 4 years left.

If in one year asks for a trade, and gives 2 teams, and you can’t make a deal with those teams.
Then you tell Brady, there is no trade to be made, they offered crap, you’re staying, you still have 3 more years on your deal.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I’m not worried about the NMC at all, if he was on last year Ike Marner, sure, but he has 4 years left.

If in one year asks for a trade, and gives 2 teams, and you can’t make a deal with those teams.
Then you tell Brady, there is no trade to be made, they offered crap, you’re staying, you still have 3 more years on your deal.
That almost always works out terribly for the team holding them hostage.

Reactions: Alex1234

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
That almost always works out terribly for the team holding them hostage.
Got some examples where a guy had a NMC and would only waive to one or two teams, and wasn’t flexible, but had 3 years left on his deal, and it worked out terribly.

Reactions: Loach

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I think it’s gonna be tanev and toffili and Ullmark in.

Chychrun brannstrom korpisalo Joseph out.

Thats my final* prediction.

*Until tomorrow when I form an even more correct opinion
Well, when it comes to the $12.4 m of projected cap space that CapFriendly shows that we have, Brannstrom is already “out”. His salary has already been eliminated and factored out of the cap equation. He’s a RFA and is not under any contract.

I’m not sure why people list players that have no contracts when they discuss our cap situation (this is a bit of an aside btw).

With regards to your roster ideas, you are adding at least $15.5 m of salary (could easily be more) while only subtracting $11.55 m. That would result in a $4 m (or more) reduction to $12.4 m that is currently projected. So, we’d need to sign 5 players with that $8.4 million that is left. One of those players is Pinto who needs a new contract. They’d have to give Pinto a short term bridge deal to make the numbers work.

My “guess” is that any forward that they add is probably going to have a $3 m (or less) cap hit if they want to sign Pinto to a multi-year contract with some term plus do the other moves we all talk about in here (a RD, swap out/in goalie). My guess its going to be a forward that can PK. This my 2 cents.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada

Agreed.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I think it’s gonna be tanev and toffili and Ullmark in.

Chychrun brannstrom korpisalo Joseph out.

Thats my final* prediction.

*Until tomorrow when I form an even more correct opinion
There is absolutely no way Tanev chooses this team. He'll pick a cup contender or playoff bound club for sure. Most likely Vancouver.

Toffoli probably signs with the highest bidder, likely a US based team.

Ullmark is a good idea but if the rumored ask is remotely true, I'm not sure that's a move we should make. I question whether his performances are a reflection of one of the best defensives systems in the NHL.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Obviously the biggest needs to be addressed are at RHD and in nets, but I think if they are moving Joseph that a veteran forward to eat the tough minutes/PK is almost just as high up on the list of needs. A Backlund or Coleman type would be the dream. Adam Henrique or Jordan Martinook would be a nice consolation prize in UFA.

I don't think we can can expect any of Kastelic/MacEwen/Crookshank/Ostapchuk/random 4th liner to be able to come in and eat those tough shutdown minutes so they'll need to target the right veteran.

It's too bad the Flames organization doesn't believe in the true teardown approach because they could almost be a one stop shop for everything this team lacks (Markstrom, Andersson/Weegar, Backlund/Coleman).

I don't think the team can overlook the need for one more piece up front that will round out the bottom-six.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Got some examples where a guy had a NMC and would only waive to one or two teams, and wasn’t flexible, but had 3 years left on his deal, and it worked out terribly.
I mean, that's an extremely, extremely rigid set of criteria, and the examples aren't really there because teams don't do that

There aren't many examples, because a team not granting a trade request from a star player doesn't happen often. Especially today with everyone hearing and talking about it nonstop with social media. If you request a trade, the team will trade you, for better or worse, in the coming months. Teams will up their offer, even the smallest amount that really makes no difference, to get the deal done, and there is almost always a deadline for it to be done by the team trading away the player.

When contracted players ask out, they generally get their way out within a short period of the request, Longest I can remember is Duchene coming here when he asked out at the start of the year and wasn't traded until October, and that was an RFA.

Guys with NMC's who ask out with more than a season left, they get moved almost ASAP so the teams can refit their roster and move on from the unhappy player, the team doesn't want to deal with the distraction longer than needed. Rick Nash, Spezza, Heatley, Jagr etc.

If Brady asks to be traded, it would be done within the first 6 months, and if it was done during the offsewason, I can't imagine a scenario where it isn't done around the same time the Karlsson trade was at the latest

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
There aren't many examples because teams avoid that situation.

It's like saying give me an example of someone who set themselves on fire while jumping off of a cliff.

There are more examples of players pre-emptively dealt right before their NMC kicks in, Subban being one of the most famous.

Reactions: BondraTime

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Exactly, those are the criteria, and why it’s not an issue, when he has so much term left.
I mean, Heatley, Spezza, Nash etc had those same criteria as well.

If a player asks for a trade, especially a guy that is going to bring in a ton of media and reporting on it, the team is going to be trading them, for better or worse. They aren't going to be escalationg it by running it back with him at their displeasure

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
There aren't many examples because teams avoid that situation.

It's like saying give me an example of someone who set themselves on fire while jumping off of a cliff.

There are more examples of players pre-emptively dealt right before their NMC kicks in, Subban being one of the most famous.
Yep, not concerned, if you want to be concerned, have at er.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Jeannot may be available and bertuzzi may be available.

But I think they will go “good pro” before tougher players.
I think toughness is necessary. We have the skill, but never played a heavy game to support the skill.

I guess we'll see. If they bring in a couple of solid pros - and then revamp the D and G, it's a different team for sure.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I mean, Heatley, Spezza, Nash etc had those same criteria as well.

If a player asks for a trade, especially a guy that is going to bring in a ton of media and reporting on it, the team is going to be trading them, for better or worse. They aren't going to be escalationg it by running it back with him at their displeasure
Spezza was on last year of deal . And had 20 teams to go to. Other 2 , that’s fair.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I don't think anyone is questioning or exoecting him to ask out between now and the end of the coming season, that wouldn't make sense from his persepctive as he has a single season left before he gets complete control of where he gets to go.

If we have a bad season, Brady has the ability to play wherever he wants come July 1st. It only makes sense to make any request after July 1st, should he want too.

Which gives Staois time. He can trade him to a team that desperately wants him at the deadline, if we suck.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
This plus a depth forward and defencemen will be the dream offseason
Not going to happen without additional roster subtractions in addition to the ones frequently discussed in here. A new RD (Tanev, or TBD) has already been factored into by the poster btw (along with numerous other posters).

See #9660.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There is absolutely no way Tanev chooses this team. He'll pick a cup contender or playoff bound club for sure. Most likely Vancouver.

Toffoli probably signs with the highest bidder, likely a US based team.

Ullmark is a good idea but if the rumored ask is remotely true, I'm not sure that's a move we should make. I question whether his performances are a reflection of one of the best defensives systems in the NHL.
I think so too, which is why I have proposed going after guys like Sprong RW & Knight who IMO are more realistic possibilities at a cheaper price with some potential up side. We probably also need to find a RD that is cheaper than some of the top end guys who might be outside our price range so we are not burdoned by a bad contract if things don't work out as it has happened in the past to us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad