Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
The worst part about this is well get his laser eye surgery, he'll get dumped in a some deal that bends us over, then he'll clown the league as the next Tim Thomas late bloomer...

Would be a classic Sens move. Dumping him for a huge cost seems like a bad move currently. Get his eyes fixes, hope for a rebound.

4m won't be all that much for a tandem goalie playing 30-40 games as the cap goes up and goalies seem to be in demand.

Reactions: DrEasy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'm 100% speculating but I wonder if these issues were only identified after the new goalie coach Justin Peters took over in January.

Korpisalo's helmet not fitting right and his vision being impaired because of it seems like something so obvious it should have been identified long ago and certainly Korpisalo himself should have said something, unless he prefers it that way and that's why Staios/Andlauer are ticked off.

Wonder if they had him take a vision test after the season to see if that may have played a role in his inability to consistently stop shots from far out and to their surprise they found out his vision isn't great. I can absolutely understand if they'd be pissed finding that out as well.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'm not sure I put any stock in that, but it at least feels like a more plausible hail mary scenario to fix his vision than just hoping he magically gets it together and turns in to a decent goalie at 30+.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Question(s):

1. What does needing glasses or laser eye have to do with getting his helmet refitted?
2. Why are they pissed about it, was the need for glasses hidden from us when we signed him, like, if anything that might be a good thing since if we fix his eyes, maybe he's competent

And on a more general level, ya that adds up, he played like he couldn't see the puck on some of the shots from far out...
Also, wouldn't poor vision come up in some sort of medical testing? Like, they do comprehensive fitness testing but no one thinks to check how well they see? Or wouldn't a goalie say "hey, having some problems with my vision but not sure what's going on" and then get it taken care of?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'm not sure I put any stock in that, but it at least feels like a more plausible hail mary scenario to fix his vision than just hoping he magically gets it together and turns in to a decent goalie at 30+.

On one hand it's a a red flag as far as Korpisalo's dedication to his craft if he's wearing an illfitting helmet on purpose or without saying anything + not having great vision and not doing anything to fix it.

But on the other hand if those issues get fixed maybe he actually manages to stop some pucks next season, so it could be a positive.

Reactions: DrEasy and bicboi64

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
On one hand it's a a red flag as far as Korpisalo's dedication to his craft if he's wearing an illfitting helmet on purpose or without saying anything + not having great vision and not doing anything to fix it.

But on the other hand if those issues get fixed maybe he actually manages to stop some pucks next season, so it could be a positive.
Your first sentence is why it seems odd and sort of unbelievable to me. Like, this guy is getting 20 mil, plays the most important position, and doesn't get an eye exam and wears a floppy helmet? Seems like maybe something got lost in translation here.

But yes, that would be the hope. I'm still on team bye bye Korpse, but if he is not dumpable, then that would be what we hope he can do is start stopping more pucks. For a team that can't afford a bad start again, it doesn't seem plausible to give him that period to figure it out.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but Korpi legitimately might need glasses or laser eye, and is being told to get refitted for his helmet.

Like Andlauer and Staios are pissed about it.

Was a really off the cuff comment that got passed along, but legitimate frustration it sounds like.

Wait….wtf?!?
I need more info lol

• Haha
Reactions: Loach

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Like I said, it was an off the cuff comment, so lots of room for misinterpretation.

I’m not sure if he has glasses/contacts/laser eye already, but it sounds like he has been told to get it addressed/updated, same with the helmet piece. Possibly exit interview?

You can “fake it” through generic eye tests. But prescriptions etc can change more rapidly than people realize.

I think that is part of what Poulin might have been alluding too in the summit yesterday.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
The worst part about this is well get his laser eye surgery, he'll get dumped in a some deal that bends us over, then he'll clown the league as the next Tim Thomas late bloomer...
Joonas "Wild Thing" Korpisalo

tenor.gif

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
One way or another I'm expecting him to be the same mediocre goalie he's been for basically his whole career

Mediocre would be great, as least if he'd be consistent at it.

He's the worst kind of starter - he'll be a top 20 #1 goalie one year and the next season he'll single handidly end the team's playoff chances.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Mediocre would be great, as least if he'd be consistent at it.

He's the worst kind of starter - he'll be a top 20 #1 goalie one year and the next season he'll single handidly end the team's playoff chances.
Ya that fits about 1/2 the goalies it seems nowadays unfortunately.
That’s why don’t give a goalie 8 years.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Watch Korpisalo get eye treatment, he comes back for a vezina calibre season, but then Staios trades him because he recognizes that Korpisalo will yoyo between good and bad years

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but Korpi legitimately might need gser eye, and is being told to get refitted for his helmet.

Was a really off the cuff comment that got passed along, but legitimate frustration it sounds like.
Holy shit that is wild if true! How does that not get caught earlier with all the vision training modern goalies do?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but Korpi legitimately might need glasses or laser eye, and is being told to get refitted for his helmet.

Wait...

Are they pissed because Korpi just blocked a buyout?

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
This may be the teams way of having him back next year, even as a backup. Now the fans can have some hope that he will be better for 1 year, letting us buy him out or trade him if needed, from a better position.

Even as a backup, he's only be making a bit more than Forsberg is now.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
This is fckn great. Dorion signed a blind goalie. This team is entertaining as hell. The fan base is having a break down, the new staff keep finding more shit to clean up, what next? I thought that we could officially move on from Dorion when we give up that first round pick. Now I wonder what else is buried out at the CTC. Anybody have ground radar, metal detectors and a backhoe?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad