Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
It's hard to see that the Senators will even be in a position to overpay Tanev to such an extent that it blows away other offers. As of today, Ottawa are a bottom 10 team in terms of projected cap space.

They have about 12.5M to sign Pinto, Kelly, a right shot defenseman, a top-9 forward and possibly another depth forward. Some of the teams we're going to be competing against for his services [Nashville, Toronto, Carolina, maybe Buffalo] are probably going to have nearly twice as much space.

You start digging into these scenarios and it's not hard to see why the team wants to dump Joseph - they need that 3M to spend somewhere else. It also suggests that there could be some urgency to get the Chychrun deal done early, which might be easier said than done. There's a lot of defensemen about to hit the open market and be available for just cash.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2010

Seravalli says keep an eye out for Sens with regards to Ullmark.

It's hard to see that the Senators will even be in a position to overpay Tanev to such an extent that it blows away other offers. As of today, Ottawa are a bottom 10 team in terms of projected cap space.

They have about 12.5M to sign Pinto, Kelly, a right shot defenseman, a top-9 forward and possibly another depth forward. Some of the teams we're going to be competing against for his services [Nashville, Toronto, Carolina, maybe Buffalo] are probably going to have nearly twice as much space.

You start digging into these scenarios and it's not hard to see why the team wants to dump Joseph - they need that 3M to spend somewhere else. It also suggests that there could be some urgency to get the Chychrun deal done early, which might be easier said than done. There's a lot of defensemen about to hit the open market and be available for just cash.
They’ll have to dump Joseph and/or Jakob for picks and save some millions to put towards Tanev.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
How you go about this is by dumping two contracts and taking a pick in the early 20’s. Dump Joseph to go from 7 to 15 and take Laughton as the prize. Trade from 15 to 22-26 and dump forseberg and grab a piece. Trade zub and chych as they hold value. You clear some cap. Get some pieces. Retain 2 chances at rebuilding your prospect pool.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
How you go about this is by dumping two contracts and taking a pick in the early 20’s. Dump Joseph to go from 7 to 15 and take Laughton as the prize. Trade from 15 to 22-26 and dump forseberg and grab a piece. Trade zub and chych as they hold value. You clear some cap. Get some pieces. Retain 2 chances at rebuilding your prospect pool.

Pierre, didn't they make you sign an NDA?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

1718335202233.png

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

I think that Brossoit will get a lot more than 2.55M. I'd say somewhere between 3.5M-4.5M. The cap is going up, more teams are running tandems, and there aren't enough goalies to go around.

I think we may have to settle for someone like Gustavsson, Knight, etc. Where they are slightly overpaid and come with risk, but we fail to get a legitimate top goalie, and we're unlikely to attract Stolarz or Broissoit.

Pesce is getting a lot more than 5.75M. Roy at 5.75M could be an overpayment depending on the terms of the contract, so that is probably realistic considering we're not a high profile free agent destination.

I could see Tanev in that spot for similar money, but we outbid other teams on term. something like 5.5-6.0 million, but he gets 3 or 4 years, a NTC, and some signing bonuses. Something stupid that he couldn't refuse. If other teams are going 2 years 5.5, we're going 3 years 5.75, etc.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Serious question that I'm asking strictly out of curiosity:

Do you guys believe that by swapping Chychrun for Roy/Pesce, Tarasenko for Labanc and Forsberg for Brossoit that this will be a playoff team?

I feel like there's still so many question marks there. Norris more likely than not just another year of getting back to speed and/or more injuries. I would say it's more likely he gets injured again than not to one of his shoulders. Giroux getting older. The 4rth line essentially same as last year. The goaltending is still a question mark. Chabot/Zub having their yearly injuries. Not much more "leadership" than last year in that group either.

One of the biggest issues with this team is there's no depth anywhere. When the inevitable injuries come this team gets exposed more than they should. The top end is good, but not good enough to overcome the lack of support at the bottom of the lineup. The goalies will not save us. It's too easy to neutralize this team the way it's contructed.

Most teams that are in a similar position to us (I.E. coming out of a long rebuild) still have young players coming in that can solidify the depth either at forward or on D. This team doesn't have many of those pieces coming. If we count Kleven in the lineup, it's probably Ostapchuk and that's it. On a good team Greig or Joseph are playing 3rd or 4rth line minutes. At least one of those guys will be playing in the top 6 every night. Teams like Buffalo and Detroit are at a similar place to us in their rebuilds but have a lot more coming in the pipeline.

For the record, I think this might be the most reasonnable/realistic lineup prediction I've seen here. I would not be surprised at all if the lineup looks like this come October. Obviously maybe not the exact same names but structurally it seems like the most likely scenario. I think this roster screams bubble team for now and for the next few years. No way this roster actually competes for a cup in the next 3-4 years IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Would anyone consider a Norris for Huberdeau swap? We add a few million in salary and pray for a bounce back.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Would anyone consider a Norris for Huberdeau swap? We add a few million in salary and pray for a bounce back.

I'd rather pray for a bounce back with Norris now that he's had the surgery with the doctor who fixed Tarasenko.

The Huberdeau contract is buyout proof, there is no Plan B. At least with Norris there's the idea he could be LTIR'ed if injuries persist and worst case scenario the buyout isn't insane (per year) despite the length.

I wouldn't take on Huberdeau for Norris + Korpisalo + Forsberg, the contract is just such a poison pill.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I wouldn't take on Huberdeau for Norris + Korpisalo + Forsberg, the contract is just such a poison pill.
Norris, Korpisalo, and Forsberg for Huberdeau seems tempting but would be too short sighted so I agree with you.

It'd be the same as Benning trading all those one year UFA contracts for OEL who the Nucks had to buy out.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Pierre, didn't they make you sign an NDA?
Lol

I genuinely believe this is the best way. We clear over 10M in cap space. Create holes no doubt. But Laughton is better than Joey cause he can play C with Norris injury history that’s valid. Plus two later firsts can be good.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Not a chance. Huberdeau is 6 years older, costs more and Norris scored at a similar PPG rate as him last year despite the gimpy shoulder.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The way he is talked about around here by some you'd think Scott Laughton is the new Daniel Alfredsson
I really don't understand it, I legit would likely rather just keep Joseph than Laughton

Only difference between the players is one is a winger and the other is a center with an extra 3 years of age and experience

I mean, Joseph had 7 more ES points this year in 10 less games, and he never had a sinlge point in his last 12 (which is an outlier, not a norm)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Serious question that I'm asking strictly out of curiosity:

Do you guys believe that by swapping Chychrun for Roy/Pesce, Tarasenko for Labanc and Forsberg for Brossoit that this will be a playoff team?

I feel like there's still so many question marks there. Norris more likely than not just another year of getting back to speed and/or more injuries. I would say it's more likely he gets injured again than not to one of his shoulders. Giroux getting older. The 4rth line essentially same as last year. The goaltending is still a question mark. Chabot/Zub having their yearly injuries. Not much more "leadership" than last year in that group either.

One of the biggest issues with this team is there's no depth anywhere. When the inevitable injuries come this team gets exposed more than they should. The top end is good, but not good enough to overcome the lack of support at the bottom of the lineup. The goalies will not save us. It's too easy to neutralize this team the way it's contructed.

Most teams that are in a similar position to us (I.E. coming out of a long rebuild) still have young players coming in that can solidify the depth either at forward or on D. This team doesn't have many of those pieces coming. If we count Kleven in the lineup, it's probably Ostapchuk and that's it. On a good team Greig or Joseph are playing 3rd or 4rth line minutes. At least one of those guys will be playing in the top 6 every night. Teams like Buffalo and Detroit are at a similar place to us in their rebuilds but have a lot more coming in the pipeline.

For the record, I think this might be the most reasonnable/realistic lineup prediction I've seen here. I would not be surprised at all if the lineup looks like this come October. Obviously maybe not the exact same names but structurally it seems like the most likely scenario. I think this roster screams bubble team for now and for the next few years. No way this roster actually competes for a cup in the next 3-4 years IMO.

I think last year we underperformed for a few reasons;

1. Goaltending - it was awful
2. Poor roster makeup - On D, with only one top 4 RHD we could never really get our pairs working. Chabot and Chychrun never clicked, and we had nobody to slot up if/when Zub got hurt. We also lacked the right pieces for a good PK, resulting in Brannstrom as a regular. At forward, we never really had a matchup line, Kubalik just isn't a bottom 6 guy, so he stuck out like a sore thumb. Tank was great, but he isn't a matchup guy. Ideally we needed someone to put out there when the oppositions elite guys jumped over the boards, and we really didn't have that.
3. Suspension to Pinto/cap issues. We couldn't address anything because we were tight to the cap, and Pinto was out for half the season to suspension. Any depth advantage we thought we might have went out the door.
4. Coaching - DJ imo gets too much flak for our failures, but he was not a details guy, and we were miserable when it came to the details.

Injuries are to be expected, I think we had a normal level of injuries, though Norris was clearly not right before blowing out his shoulder, so I'm not sure he should count as healthy, and Stu was clearly struggling with the wrist injury he disclosed after the sesaon.

What can we expect next season?

I think we can expect a bounce back for Stutzle, a healthy Stu puts up 35+ goals, he's a shooting threat on the PP and he opens up the ice for his teammates.
I think we can expect much better depth at C. With Pinto available from day one, even if Norris again has a slow start, we're way ahead of last season. If Norris comes back looking healthy and ready, that's just gravy. We'll still have Greig who can slot in at center or wing, and he'll have that extra year of experience under his belt.

Assuming we get that RHD, we should have better balance on the backend. That should mean fewer bad matchups (Sanderson and Zub can't play every shift, but if you have a Tanev/Pesce/Roy out there at least you still have that responsible defensive guy). It also should mean a better constructed PK, Brannstrom did his best, but he's not a net clearer, which you need on the PK. It also improves resiliency if there's an injury on the right side. When Zub was out, we had nothing to backfill with for the role he fills, having a Tanev/Pesce/Roy mittigates a bit of that.

It's hard to pin down how much of a difference coaching will make, goaltending needs to be better if we are going to be a playoff team. Is Broissoit enough to make that happen, idk, but if we can get 900 team sv%, that's 29 fewer goals on a goalie, league average sv% was .903 so .900 shouldn't be a big ask, only 10 teams failed to meet that threshold but even a team sv% of .895, a threshold only 3 other teams failed to meet would mean a 17 goal drop.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
The way he is talked about around here by some you'd think Scott Laughton is the new Daniel Alfredsson
Hope we aren't in on him. Flyers will get a stupid package for him because he apparently has the intangibles and skills to elevate a team's middle 6. He only has 2 years left on his contract as well and appears to be the perfect rental for a contender, but I hope we don't waste anything on him.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
They do. It was reported several years ago that Anderson had significantly better than 20/20 eyesight in the fall physicals. iirc, there was another player on the team that had jaw-dropping reaction time on the reflexes testing.

I'm sure the info is buried on this site somewhere.
Oh that's good to know. Really raises the question about how Korpisalo's alleged poor vision wasn't caught even moreso then!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad